• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was in there a few times and they had some guns I liked.
    But they were VERY over priced and struck me as a store for people who either had no ideas what a fair price was, or had more money than brains.
    All I ever bought from them was one box of ammo.

When we made monthly (in the summer weekly) trips, partly because we had a pretty good relationship with Rocket Fireworks in Wanatah, their prices were better than quite a few of the shops I see now. I don't ever remember seeing a $600 Glock, new or used. Some of their stuff was a little high but from stuff we bought, it was better than 3 or 4 shops we would always check out.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I first discovered Fetla's working all over Northern Indiana repairing copiers. I bought a canoe there. Neat place and I was sorry to see them go.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Don't know if it is fact or rumor, but I recall reading a post here that indicated that Blythe's had purchased the property and would be opening up a new range around April. Can anyone add anything or confirm this?

i don't know if blythe's has anything to do with it but someone is definitely trying to open a range there, they applied for a variance with valpo to get it done. it would have 15 lanes, 5 "long" lanes and 10 shorter pistol lanes according to the article i read.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    One of the great things about Fetla's was that EVERY price was negotiable. It didn't matter if it was a gun, jacket, boat, or pair of boots. Price tags were for reference only. I remember them having wooden barrels full of Mosins just sticking out of them. They also had boxes/crates of firearms sitting on the floor. Large selection of Carhart and surplus military clothing. You could spend hours in the place and never see everything.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Bought my first Service Revolver from them. Had to order it from Smith & Wesson, and during the wait, bought a different, used, similar one. Still have that used one and holsters a plenty from the discount box. Lay away started me to shooting sports that otherwise I could not afford. Miss it. The store did change and lost appeal after the original owner sold out.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    I was in there a few times and they had some guns I liked.
    But they were VERY over priced and struck me as a store for people who either had no ideas what a fair price was, or had more money than brains.
    All I ever bought from them was one box of ammo.

When we made monthly (in the summer weekly) trips, partly because we had a pretty good relationship with Rocket Fireworks in Wanatah, their prices were better than quite a few of the shops I see now. I don't ever remember seeing a $600 Glock, new or used. Some of their stuff was a little high but from stuff we bought, it was better than 3 or 4 shops we would always check out.

I guess we must've shopped at different gun shops.

I was collecting military surplus in those days, and the prices at Fetlas were WAY HIGH compared to what I routinely paid at my local gun shop in Rensselaer.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I used to love going there and on the way back we'd stop at Weinbergs in Toto and compare who had the better crap. Bought a single shot 12 guage shotgun at Fettlas in the early 80's for $60.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I loved going to Toto. We use to get kicked out of several of the stores for being loud idiots (usually making jokes about the poor handicapped mannequins). It was kind of creepy as we found used feminine hygiene products in one of the parking lots.

We started gun shopping at Fetla's in 1997. Their milsurp prices were lower than Albertson's in Warsaw and prices on other rifles were lower than Midwest. Handguns were also a little cheaper than Midwest for what we were looking at and even a $600 beat up Glock would've been cheaper than Albertson's. If you're ever in Warsaw, avoid that place.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I missed that store. We use to go there and get reloading supplies, cheapest around. I bought my Beretta 92FS Compact and Winchester 9422 there. Sold the Beretta 10 years ago, kind of wish I still had it since it was my first pistol. Just a fun store to go through.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Remember the "Tic Toc Truck Stop" in Wanatah????:cool:

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I miss it! I remember Dad taking me to the ORIGINAL store there! Remember the bear and all! Mostly remember all the great GUNS there! :cool:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I loved going to Toto. We use to get kicked out of several of the stores for being loud idiots (usually making jokes about the poor handicapped mannequins). It was kind of creepy as we found used feminine hygiene products in one of the parking lots.

We started gun shopping at Fetla's in 1997. Their milsurp prices were lower than Albertson's in Warsaw and prices on other rifles were lower than Midwest. Handguns were also a little cheaper than Midwest for what we were looking at and even a $600 beat up Glock would've been cheaper than Albertson's. If you're ever in Warsaw, avoid that place.

I was in Albertsons this summer. Got swepted by a guy working there. I walked out.

We used to get in trouble at Toto too. Loved the maniquins with missing limbs.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    You know they opened up a fetlas in knox indiana...soon as they stocked the guns in the case....stupid hicks broke in and stole a bunch.

So they shut the doors short after opening.

Really takes some dumb *ss*s to ruin a good thing.

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    Yeah that doesn't really surprise me. Had a couple relatives get killed over a Harley in that area.

I think the original owner of Fetlas is still in the area. Or at the very least I know his kids are.

Never was around for the bear. That would be a sight to see.

Didn't hear about Blythe's buying the site. That would be something I could probably find out though, through the Assessor's office.

Good times.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Back in the late 80ies I worked for a lawn care business that mowed large apartments complexes.
    We did a place in Valpo & if we were finished soon enough the boss would let us run around Fetla's for a bit.
    I can remember buying a Iverson-Johnson 22 semi auto rimfire (looked like an M1) there.
    Fetla's was a neat place, sorry to hear there gone.
    Cluttered..but the WOW factor!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    once upon a time, i used to enjoy going there. Always a ton of things, like a surplus store with guns thrown in. Always an interesting visit.
    I have read that someone bought it, trying to turn it into a range (indoor) and of course, people complained so its been put on the back burner until.... indefinitely according to the last article I had read. Too bad. Could always use another range in this area.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    In 1975 I tried to convince my Dad (God rest his soul) to buy an Automag for $495. I was 17 so couldn't get it myself. Told him it would be a good investment. He didn't get that or the gold I told him to buy at $130 per ounce. Use to love going in there.

Bob

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I bought my first gun there in 1988 and went there a lot before they closed. It was too bad when they rearranged the store. It lost its uniqueness.

Top Bottom