Anyone meet opposition from family when deciding to purchase a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Anyone met with opposition from family when deciding to purchase a gun?

I'm living with my parents while I try getting into medical school and they have no experience at all with guns (not liberals, quite the opposite, they've just never handled them and know they're deadly weapons, etc) and they're kind of being annoying about the whole me getting a gun thing.

Seems like most of you just grew up with guns, but...anyone with similar stories? How did you deal with it?

Last edited:

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I'm living with my parents while I try getting into medical school and they have no experience at all with guns (not liberals, quite the opposite, they've just never handled them and know they're deadly weapons, etc) and they're kind of being annoying about the whole me getting a gun thing.

Seems like most of you just grew up with guns, but...anyone with similar stories? How did you deal with it?

I had a similar issue when I bought my first gun. My mother didn't want me to touch it, look at it, or talk about touching it. Let alone carry it. (She has been scared of guns ever since I found her Saturday night special .38 at age 3, and was playing with it in the floor.) How did I deal with it? I went out the very next day, bought a holster on the way to the movies with her, and walked in with it. I never heard another word about it. :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, first of all I have to say, "Their house, their rules".

That being said, what about going to a NRA certified class. Even better, take your parents to take part in the class.
    Start off easy. Gun in safe.
    Take them to the range from time to time.
    Make sure they get to shoot. And know how to unload the gun.
    Make them learn the 4 rules.

Just my humble opinion.
    Now about my family.
    Only grief I get from most of them, is that they wanted that weapon.
    Only grief my Mom gives me is, "Look at all that money you're wasting."
    Then I ask her about some of the money she has spent.

dwickstrom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My mother in law wanted all the guns gone when the first grandchild was born. She's a *****fist(pacifist) awnd brain dead liberal complete with who would Jesus bomb sticker on her car :rolleyes: and kept harping my wife about it my reply if you dont like the way I live don't come and visit.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    My fiance will occasionally question me purchasing a gun, but mostly because she wanst to make sure I am saving money for our wedding/honeymoon. Plus she wants to make sure they can be safely stored, and I don't have a huge apartment for storing weapons.

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    Kazaam I know how you are feeling. I was in the same boat with my parents when I was a kid. A friend of mine's dad was a hunter and showed us kids a lot about safety. I wanted a .22 rifle so I could go shooting with my friend and his dad. My parents said they would never buy me a gun. When I was able to purchase and carry a gun of my own I did. My parents still do not understand and give me looks when I come to visit and I am OC'ing. But know this they will get over it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I heard that I shouldn't have a gun around my kids, that it was an accident waiting to happen.

Told my mom I'm a grown ass man, and can make decisions on what is best for my family.

Quite frankly, you live under their roof, so you play by their rules.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    2 thoughts in my head:

Why do they know you're getting a gun (assuming a pistol)?

Why are you not respecting their wishes (no matter how misguided), if you're living in their house?

The OP has caused me to have a running argument with myself.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    make them interested in firearms.. do they not realize the amount of freaks that exist in this world?

people eating faces, daylight break-ins, car jackings, i really dont need to go on do i?

i just hope that they dont have the "that wont happen to me" mentality.

nra classes are everywhere. perhaps try one?

best of luck.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    I knew my mom was anti gun, but my dad has a few. Yes they are married, and live in the same house. So I tried talking to her about it when I wanted my first one. She said she'd throw me out if I bought one. So I bought one that weekend and didn't hide it from her. I haven't been tossed out yet, but I am prepared if there is a sudden change of mind.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    the only opposition I get is "can you really afford it?"

And then there's my idealistic gramma that thinks that the world would be a better place without guns. False. The world would be a better place without people that misuse guns.

manwithnoname

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    2 thoughts in my head:

Why do they know you're getting a gun (assuming a pistol)?

Why are you not respecting their wishes (no matter how misguided), if you're living in their house?

The OP has caused me to have a running argument with myself.

Hold the horses!

I missed the point that the OP is living with with his parents while he goes to school until I saw hooky's post.

I'm with hooky on this one.

Son, if you're living under your parent's home you are subject to their rules.

Man, next thing you'll be telling us is that that they ***** about you buying a gun while they write tuition checks!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My fiance will occasionally question me purchasing a gun, but mostly because she wanst to make sure I am saving money for our wedding/honeymoon. Plus she wants to make sure they can be safely stored, and I don't have a huge apartment for storing weapons.

When you save for a gun, save extra money.
    When you buy the gun, give her the money.
    She will start to see that as a good thing.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    If it were me, Id just buy it. After awhile they will there is no harm in having a gun in the house, and eventually they will become used to it. Take them shooting (keep bothering them until they say yes), and they will undoubtedly enjoy it. Then you can rest assured you did the right thing.

Luckily, I was given my first gun at age 6, so my advice is only how it plays out in my head, not from personal experience.

Good luck.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I knew my mom was anti gun, but my dad has a few. Yes they are married, and live in the same house. So I tried talking to her about it when I wanted my first one. She said she'd throw me out if I bought one. So I bought one that weekend and didn't hide it from her. I haven't been tossed out yet, but I am prepared if there is a sudden change of mind.

And how would you feel if someone did that to you in your house? Sounds like a lack of respect. You may disagree with her, but it is HER HOUSE.

JJT*90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    And how would you feel if someone did that to you in your house? Sounds like a lack of respect. You may disagree with her, but it is HER HOUSE.

If she actually had a problem with it, she'd throw me out. My parents are just like that. They aren't the type of people you ever bother asking permission from. They will say no, on anything. You just have to do something and hope they don't get to pissed.

Edit: Also, the house is really only half hers, and I abide by my father's conditions on the topic.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom