Anyone meet opposition from family when deciding to purchase a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes. My darling wife is no Lib. She is straight conservative. She was fearful of guns, thought Harley's and Tattoo's were for trailer trash. Her fear of guns was well based. Her Dad was a business owner when she was a small girl. He ran a tavern on the west side. Some idiots attempted to rob him and he resisted. They shot his right leg "Off" at the knee with a sawed off shot gun. He survived but the massive blood loss near killed him.
    I have been gentle with her transition. She has owned and rode her very own full sized Harley, has a *****ing tattoo of a Tiger on her thigh and I have some sweet guns.
    With patience anything is possible.
    Take your dad to the range when you get your gun. Get some training and pass it on to him. Let this bleed over into mom and show them the safe aspects of gun ownership.
    Be safe, enjoy.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    If she actually had a problem with it, she'd throw me out. My parents are just like that. They aren't the type of people you ever bother asking permission from. They will say no, on anything. You just have to do something and hope they don't get to pissed.

Edit: Also, the house is really only half hers, and I abide by my father's conditions on the topic.
    Er, so one only has to respect one parent's rules? What about when you're in mom's half of the house? :rolleyes:

Not to harp on this, but dividing and conquering (or trying to) one's parents used to rate a 'major sanction' in the good old days. Kids don't get to choose which parent they will respect, if they want to enjoy the benefits of living at home...

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for the advice all. At first, I probably won't even keep ammo here. I intend to eventually have it for home defense, but for now it's strictly a range gun. I told them if they're not comfortable with me having a gun here, I'll leave it at my brother in laws. Its not even that they don't want me to have a gun here, they just dont want me to have a gun period lol.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Buying it against their wishes WILL come back to bite you in the ass. Trying to work around it and find loopholes is only going to end badly for you, and it's childish.

Be a man. Have an actual conversation with them to get specific reasons why they're against the idea. If you haven't, take a basic pistol training course. Show them you're serious and going to take it seriously. Address their concerns, don't go behind their backs.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I currently live at home with my parents and younger sister while attending college and am in the process of purchasing a handgun. My parents haven't outright said anything about me actually owning a gun or keeping it in the house, they're far more concerned with the safety issues involving the gun, and my Father told me that when I get the gun that I need to have a sit down with my mom and demonstrate all the safety issues, as well as purchasing a trigger lock.

Now when I start coming home with shotguns, Mini-14's and such, then we might have a problem but that's a different story.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Buying it against their wishes WILL come back to bite you in the ass. Trying to work around it and find loopholes is only going to end badly for you, and it's childish.

Be a man. Have an actual conversation with them to get specific reasons why they're against the idea. If you haven't, take a basic pistol training course. Show them you're serious and going to take it seriously. Address their concerns, don't go behind their backs.

:yesway:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    initially my mother said there was no way i could keep a gun in the house, said i could leave it in my car..pfffffff! now my dads got a gun, we got a gun for mom too, and of course ive got my small yet growing collection in my closet.....i know they can be annoying, and your probably very busy with med school stuff, but take the time to talk to them, let them know your not doing it cuz youre a cook or anything...hell, argue with them...present them with tidbits of knowledge that you can glean from this massive pool of info we call ingo (lol)....eventually logic will triumph, you just have to do the hard work and inform them

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My wife was totally against it. Her argument was that we have 5 children at home and doesn't want anything to happen. She only (initially) agreed to allow me to get one if it stayed in the (fingerprint) gun safe.

I obliged. Didn't take it out for anything. Just wanted her comfy knowing it was there. I asked her if it was ok to take my older 2 boys shooting with me and her dad. (my older 2 boys are 12 and 9). She was ok with it. They LOVED it..

After that, I waited another week or two.. I decided it was time to clean my gun after my range trip (you'll see what I'm doing here). I got the gun out after the smaller kids were in bed. My wife agreed to allow me to field strip it and have my kids clean it properly (training). Since then, I've taken my boys shooting with my brother, just me, with her dad several times. I've gone by myself a couple times too.

This was with my first gun . (Kel Tec P3AT).. as of right now, she doesn't even bat an eyelash if I carry IWB around the house with one in the tube. I have also since purchased a second gun and it's at home already (Kel Tec P11) and some extra goodies for it.

We have been shooting too (wife and I) .. and we're saving up for a Bersa Thunder 380 for HER.. She's gonna OC the Bersa. We've seen enough on TV to convince her that it's a smart thing to do to keep everyone safe.

After we ger her pistol, we are then gonna attend some training classes. We have both filled out our applications for LTCH (waiting on the mail to get them).. With patience and responsible handling/acting and 'no surprises'.. things can work out.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    When I was 18 I brought home a motorcycle that I bought that day. My mom said either I went or the motorcycle went. I told her okay, I'd be out of the home tomorrow.

It was amazing how fast she changed her mind and let me keep the bike. :)

Calling a parent's bluff is easier when you have options.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I am very thankful to have a redneck family that loves guns. As far as carrying goes I am a Father of two beautiful girls now and I would go to any length to protect them. I have personally had a snub nose 38 put in my side when I was younger. I was somewhere as a teenager that I should have never been but fact is when that hammer is pulled back and barrel against you side you never forget it. I can remember the feeling like it was yesterday. Just makes me what to be prepared for dumbies. Not that I would go somewhere that stupid again but you just never know. And before you ask I aint going into the story further lets just leave it as dumb kid learns lesson thankfully the easy way.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I went through the same type of deal. Mom didn't want me to have one in the house, so we compromised. It was a hell of a compromise too, if I wasn't carrying there were stipulations. When it was at home, even while I slept, it was to have a lock on it, while it was locked in a safe, while the closet it was it was locked, and the bedroom the closet was in had to be locked too. When I carry, whether with my mom or not, no coonfingering. When she saw how serious I was about firearm safety she became comfortable with it. Now when I go over to their house and I'm OCing, the first thing out of her mouth or my dad's, whichever I see first, is "I promise I won't be any trouble for you." Show her that you're not only serious about having the gun, but being safe with it and she'll get more comfortable. Now she wants to get her own for different reasons and wants me to take her shooting.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I guess I'm on the lucky end of this spectrum. My in-laws keep giving me guns (2 shotguns and a rifle, so far), my uncle gave me his old revolver, and I inherited my grandfather's old rifle.

My mother is the closest to "anti" gun. She wouldn't let me have toy guns growing up. So, I just had to pretend anything I could find was a gun, and then yell "BANG". :D She has no issue with me carrying now. No interest in learning for herself, but she doesn't judge me. I've been out of the house for 20 years now, so that may have SOMETHING to do with it.

I guess my wife and I both come from good stock.

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    My parents weren't anti-gun but never kept guns around the house.
    I bought the first gun in our house when I turned 18 (46 yo now) and they never gave me a hard time about it. Probably because they knew I was a responsible person.
    Now my parents are about as pro-gun as I am. I even helped my dad get his LTCH recently.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    My mom was upset when I brought my first gun home. Few years later, I got another one. Then she bought one, and I moved out, and have acquired many more. Now she even has another one!

Top Bottom