• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I've got a 1936 Hex-Tula. I love it. I just got done refinishing the stock, it's more of an orangish-yellow color now. Great guns for the price. I find Mosin's fascinating. All the history that each one of them could have.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I'm a mil-surp purist so I say booooo.:D But that is an interesting muzzle break you have their. Think we can get a better pic of it or some details about it.

And again boooo.

It is possible to be a purist and an experimenter....I do have some that I wouldn't alter in any way.
    The muzzle brake is just something I made up at work...in fact I made 2 of them, the other is a little bigger in diameter, I will see if I can get a better picture of it. It attaches to the barrel with set screws. The real reason for the muzzle brake was to make a better fireball come out of the business end.:ar15:

Last edited:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I think these are just about the last really good inexpensive rifles avaliable on the surplus market. Where else can you get an all blued steel and wood stocked rifle that fires a cartridge in the .30-06 class for under $100.00 with accessories in almost new condition? The last ones that I know of were the SKS's. Just a few years back they could be had new, or next to new for just a couple hundred bucks or less. Now they are going for around $400.00 in any kind of really nice condition. I think this will happen to Mosins as well. They're selling like hotcakes because they, along with the ammunition they fire, can still be had reasonably. That isn't going to last forever. Bill T.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Mine is a 1938 Russian 91/30 and it is great to shoot.......paid $99 at Cabels and ammo can be had on the cheap...get out there and fire away:rockwoot:

Eric S.S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Mulberry
    Thanks for the heads up Billt. I'll definitely be ordering one if not just for the shear history of them. A gun from the former Soviet Union. WOW!

P.S. This won't make me a commy will it?

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    I bought 3 and sold 1 of them. The one I shoot the most happens to be one of my most accurate rifles that I have. Will shoot 1" groups at 50 yards with milsurp ammo. That's saying alot since I'm a crappy shot. I love lining up clay pigeons at 100 yards and picking them off. It's the only rifle I have that I can consistently do it with....I wish my mauser was that accurate.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I just bought a 91/30 today at Dunham's for $90. Came with the sling, oil can, pouches.... My wife gave the blessing and when I brought it home, she just couldn't believe that it was only 90 bucks. It's covered in cosmoline, so that will be my next project...sigh.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I just bought a 91/30 today at Dunham's for $90. Came with the sling, oil can, pouches.... My wife gave the blessing and when I brought it home, she just couldn't believe that it was only 90 bucks. It's covered in cosmoline, so that will be my next project...sigh.

I hate that stuff. fantastic for its intended purpose, but a pain to clean off. Had a few Mosins over the years and a Yugo M48 Mauser thats never been fired because I still need to strip the bolt and clean the cosmoline out of it...

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008

I just cleaned the remaining Cosmo off of my m44 today using the orange light pictured here: What is a "Hot Light"? StudioLighting.net

I just put the stock a few inches from the light left it for 10-15 minutes, wiped away what surfaced then moved to the next spot. I did this probably 2x for each spot the light covered. Did a pretty good job. I also just refinished the rifle, stripped it, sanded, and put Tung Oil on it, looks nice-natural wood color now!

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bought my first 2 at 18 for $60 per and some surplus nato armor piercing rounds. Needless to say the ammo price has gone up but the other 8 that have passed through my hands have all been around $75. The cheapest ammo I can get now is through aim surplus in Ohio even with shipping.

Top Bottom