Anyone here shoot single action .22 (Cowboy)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Looking to pick up a simple plinker, single action .22lr.
    Was wondering if anyone here shoots them, I have researched many of the manufacturers but am still unsure.

Trying to stay somewhat cheap-
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Bearcat
    Cimarron Arms Lightning
    Cimarron Arms Plinkerton
    Heritage Arms
    Colt

The Plinkerton has kind of caught my eye, Cheap, no frills, black .22lr (full size)
    Anyone own one?

Rugers, Cimarron Lightning and Colts are I think a bit out of range, Plinkerton and Heritage Arms are along the price range I am looking for, still....any first hand experience would be helpful.

xd45in

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Knox County
    Ruger Single Six is a good .22, but I noticed they aren't very accurate w/.22lr (if you get one chambered for both .22lr and .22 mag)
    They are accurate w/.22mag

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    We own the Ruger Bearcat. Wife and I love it. It is very small and light, good trail gun. It is accurate, but its smal size and weight makes it a little harder to shoot, The Single-Six can't be beat. The one I had (foolishly sold it) was very accurate. I'm not familiar with the other guns.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've got both a Colt and Ruger Single Six. I don't think the barrel is any different regardless if you buy the extra 22 mag cylinder. It's available as an accessory to about any of them as well as purchased seperately later.

I like 'em both. The Ruger is loaded just about constantly, in the holster and hanging on the back of the door if it's not on my hip. I highly recoment stainless steel.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    I own the Heritage Arms flavor single action .22, their "Rough Rider" combo w/ the .22 mag cylinder as well, and it's one of the most fun plinker's I own.

Reasonably accurate and has never had any issues with any ammunition I've bought for it :)

And cheap. 150 @ yard sale, and I think list is <200

Last edited:

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Have the Heritage .22lr. Simple and as accurate as I can be. If you buy one new, it can be cheaper to get the 22lr only and it will come with a coupon to send in for the 22mag cylinder for $20. Was cheaper than buying the version with both cylinders in the store (21st Century in Bluffton). They pointed it out to me.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I have a Ruger single six. I love it. Both 22 and 22 mag. very accurate. You can still find a decent price on a used one.

On the Heritage one, I was told they are a decent plinker, but won't hold up as well as the Ruger in the long run. YMMV.
    Never shot one so I don't know.

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I haven't heard many good things about the Plinkerton, but part of that is just because it is compared to Cimarron's other guns. Their Italian imports are very nice, but of course the Plinkerton is much cheaper. My plan is to (one of these days) buy either a new Heritage or a used Ruger; both should be in the $200 range. Then if I find I really love shooting SA, sell it and get a "real" Cimarron Model P.

lancinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Dekalb County NE indiana
    my heritage shoots well, 6 inch blued, i've only had it about 6 months so the finish is not really showing any wear. I would still like to have a ruger. I shot one 10 years ago and really liked it. I just haven't stumbled on the one. They do seem to kind of be a hot item. I think i got my heritage on sale at gander mtn for $180 new and it has fixed iron sights which makes it a little cheaper.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Single Sixes

Single Sixes are very affordable, very accurate, and a blast to shoot. My boys love to shoot them, love to clean them, safe and easy to handle.

I have a few in Stainless and Blued, some 6", some 7" and a bunch in 9" barrels.
    Can't go wrong with a Single Six!

I have a few Hunter brand holsters (Cabelas carries them) for the 9" barrels, my BBQ holsters are Mernickles, MERNICKLE HOLSTERS.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Wait!...
    Did you say they love to clean them??

Last time we went to shoot, I ended up sending several hours cleaning all my guns. Nobody wanted to help!! They love shooting them but cleaning....yeah right!!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    They are 7, 5 and 5, and they scrub pistols and shotguns all the time for me, they can break down the single six and Blackhawks on their own, and scrub them until they shine. That's how we practice safe gun handling in the house, and they earn boxes of shells by doing chores around the house. I'm the luckiest guy in the world!

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I have a blued Heritage and love to shoot it. Accuracy is pretty good considering the sights. I have put a couple hundred of rounds through it and haven't had any problems yet.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Another vote for the Ruger single six. Mine is the stainless convertable with adjustable sights. It is extremley accurate as well. I use it as a demo for single action revolvers in my basic pistol classes.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom