Anyone here shoot single action .22 (Cowboy)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    The ones who own Heritage Arms .22's, what finish do you have and how well does it hold up?

Nickel/Stainless finish on mine (6" barrel), I've had it 18 months and bought it used, but it still looks pretty much new (~800 rounds through it by me).

The only thing I've found is that when using CHEAP .22 ammo the casings can get a little sticky coming out towards the end of a shooting session.

Subsonics and shorts are fun -- it sounds like an air pistol. The .22 mag has a fairly sharp report, so hearing protection (duh) is recommended.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    i am still very curious as to another question in the OP.... does anyone use .22 to shoot cowboy action?

Formal Cowboy Action Shooting requires centerfire revolvers of .32 caliber up to .45 caliber. They warn .32 calibers may not be strong enough to actuate some of the reactive targets. .22's are allowed for Buckaroo class.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    If you want to stay under $200 get the Heritage, skip the Plinkerton.If you look at Plinkerton make sure to remove cyl. and really look things over. I've shot and stripped one. If money means less Ruger is fine as well.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Before I bought my Single Six I researched the Heritage Arms. Here are some of the comments I found. These aren't my comments so don't hang me.

They're cheap guns, the receivers are pot metal. Expect them to be disposable. Save your money towards a Single Six and expect your grandsons to enjoy it. They're common on the used market for well under $300.

Mine has been a good little gun for the money. I have never used the .22 mag cylinder but I have hundreds of LR rounds through it. Don't expect a match grade gun and you will like it. Also be sure to tighten all the screws on it every couple of range sessions. Mine have a tendency to work loose. I could loctite them but I just check them when I clean it.

My dealer friend told me that quality has dropped off as of late. He ordered a .22LR/.22mag combo for a guy and it was crappy.

It might not be a lifetime gun, like a ruger single six, but it should be serviceable for many years if you take good care of it.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ive got a Heritage Arms Rough Rider that im trying to sell *hint*

Its accurate as all heck (way more so than my buddies Rugers), cheap as all get out ($230 brand new with both 22lr and 22mag cylinders), and it works good enough.

Downsides is that it doesnt have the true peacemaker feel (grips are a little wierd), and the finish is rough at best, you can see areas were the factory didn't even apply finish. :dunno:

Good cheap plinker that I like better than the rugers just for accuracy reasons, I can hit 100 yard plates with practice, 25yards.... like shooting fish in a barrel.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Heritage blued and like it a lot. I picked it up brand new with both cylinders for $159 and it has been a lot of fun to shoot. Mine seems reasonable accurate and has had no problems. The finish is starting to wear on the receiver and looks to be different than the finish on the barrel and cylinders. The receiver almost looks like it is painted instead of blued, but I'm sure it's not. Whatever it is, the receiver finish is not as durable as the barrel and cylinders though.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well I have been searching high and low on the web to read reviews, and I must say that Ruger has a great response.

However, the Heritage Rough Rider has a very large following and the reviews are very positive.

For the price it looks like the Rough Rider could be a winner, of course the quality may not be as good, (Im talking about the finish especially) but it seems to perform well as a .22 plinker!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I hae the standard Heritage Arms rough rider, cocobolo grips, blue finish. I love it. It's as accurate as I am, holds up good, and functions great. You dont have to worry about ammo costs and its a great varmit gun. Id get a rough rider...they also make cool aftermarket grips for around 20 bucks for them..

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I would take a single six over any two plinkertons.

Look at the ejector rod, and the fit of the ejector rod to the frame and spring. The ejector rod on the plinkerton is about as thick as a dried spaghetti noodle; The single six is nearly the same width as the cartridge. Additionally, if your not careful, the ejector rod on the plinkerton can easily get stuck in the depressed position due to sloppy fit of parts; this locks up the cylinder and could easily damage that frail little rod if your not careful.

The Single Six may be twice the price but i wouldn't be surprised to see it last twice as long.

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For something different, look at the EAA Bounty Hunter. Alloy frame, .22LR/.22 Mag, 8-round capacity and it's a full size replica revolver so leather is easy to find.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    My Son wants to get out and watch Cowboy Action next year... I'm hoping to get him set up as a Buckaroo but need to find a place that has some pistols, rifles & shotguns for him to check fit and weight... Are there any good places to shop for guns around Indianapolis?

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have owned a Heritage and it was a nice pistol. It shot good and the price is great. I would like to get one with adj. sights. Don't get me wrong, Ruger Single Six's are great but are getting expensive.

Mossmug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Greene County
    Buy A Ruger Single Six and be HAPPY

:)They will last three lifetimes and cheap to shoot. Look for a used one .
    Try different barrel lenghts to see what you like.
    I like the 6" or 6 1/2 " the best . My 9 1/2 " is fun, but too long to carry .

Top Bottom