• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Like I mentioned before there are good arguments to both sides. You have to be willing to listen or else it’s just falling on deaf ears.

Many reasons I’ve heard over the years to open carry range from “Because I can,” to “to help educate the sheep of America”. It really depends on who you talk to. Since you asked, I’ll explain the best I can for why I open carry.

I’ve chosen to open carry where I can because I like to look professional. In any weather above 50 I definitely don’t need a jacket, so I’m stuck with a short hanging over the gun. Personally, I like to look professional and during the summer am typically dressed in business casual. Carrying a gun with dress pants, and a shirt untucked looks horrible. I open carry in that case because it is much more comfortable and keeps me looking professional. I don’t worry about other people because I’m not breaking any laws or effecting their lives in anyway. A simple analogy would be if I said red shirts scare me, so please don’t wear them. You’d continue wearing your red shirt because that’s a completely ridiculous statement. That’s how I feel about my pistol.

Among other reasons, I open carry is to deter crime before it even happens. Your typical thief, or criminal does not want to die, get into a gunfight, or meet heavy resistance. There are a few select cases where they are crazy or desperate enough that it doesn’t matter, and I hope to never find myself in that situation. Anyways, say you are in the gas station, and a man walks in planning on robbing the place. He will assume you are a LEO, civilian who is one… crazy enough to open carry so probably willing to put up a fight, or is out to kill people and you may end up being the target. Someone who conceal carries wouldn’t be noticed. That is the typical scenario most people who are against OC state. The robbery would most likely occur if you conceal carried because there were no visible threats. So we are at a cross section. Say the man has a knife and is asking the cashier for the money. Are you going to pull your gun if you are concealed? That escalates the situation and the cashier may end up hostage, or hurt, or the man may come after you, in which you may have to fire. That’s a messy situation, and I’d rather not take a life if I don’t have to. Best case scenario, he assumes leo, and forfeits the fight immediately after you draw and waits for the cops to arrive.

My argument, is that it would never reach that far in the first place if he can visibly see your gun. He will most likely not engage because you are there. If it is worse case and he’s out to kill someone, that’s out of your control. I’m not willing to hide a right that is mine and was practiced for over 100 years in this country. ( People carried from the revolutionary war to the western times and years )
    Sorry for the long response, but I’m trying to explain as well as I can. I can draw much faster with the gun on my side, and will not have to fumble with clothing. Those few seconds could mean my life. Why risk my life because someone thinks guns are bad and shouldn’t be seen.

Hopefully I explained this to you. I know it’s a difficult side to understand, and people will continue to bash open carrying, but I’m not hurting anyone or causing issues. It’s a real shame America has fallen to the point where fear and ignorance rules the population instead logic and common sense.

skigun75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Indiana
    I appreciate your taking the time to respond at such length.

But, please, make no mistake, my question was not based or motivated by ignorance or fear.

I was not telling anyone to not open carry. I was just asking for any compelling reason for it, besides "because I can".

To that I respond with the old saying that just because you can doesn't mean you should. "Because I can" is justification for your non-gun owning family and friends to get a lifetime carry permit.

I wear a suit to work everyday. I understand the problems with normal carry. That is why I have a Kel-Tec in my pocket.

In the end, it all comes down to a cost-benefit analysis, I suppose. I am not willing to give up the surprise factor to demonstrate my ability to carry a gun. Besides, by your own argument, most people will assume you are a LEO anyway. So if they don't know any different, you really aren't proving that regular non-LEO folks can or should carry a gun.

And to be a deterant, the bad guy would have to actually see your gun. If you are in the aisle of the stop and rob and Johnny Gangbanger comes in, will he see your gun if you are open carrying? What if you are at the cash register and he walks up on your weak side? I do agree that for the most part, bad guys don't want a fight, I just don't see the liklihood of actually deterring anyone.

And realistically, I don't plan on having a quick draw contest if I ever have to pull my gun as a civilian. Most concealed carry options are decidedly not quick draw options.

So, I don't know if we got anywhere with this, but maybe it was worth the discussion.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    I didn't mean that you were basing the decision on fear/ignorance. I do apologize on that aspect, I was referring to public that doesn't carry. It is quite possible ryanmercer's scenario could occur. Like I said so is mine. They are both as equal. I don't hear about a lot of killings at gas station robbery's. They are normally robbed without injury.

I think both arguments are equal. You may be a target open carrying, and you may be the deterrent to stop it from happening. Will never truly know those statistics.

I've thought about getting a kel-tec, but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that. I like the 4 inch sig I carry. It's the difference between driving a geo metro everyday. It'll get you where you are going, but a nice sedan or other car feels better. Both will kill, one does it better.

I definitely don't have any beef with conceal carry as I do it quite often. Sometimes I just don't feel like answering to friends about carrying. Some are cool with it, some think carrying a gun period is stupid.

To me it doesn't matter really. I do what feels best on the day or situation.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You. I didn't say it has happened, I said it's a possibility, likely even a probability.

Okay, I acknowledge that it's possible.

However, "likely a probability"? Why? If it was likely, would it not have happened before now? People have been carrying openly for quite a while, yet we don't hear of this happening.

We do hear of convicts and suspects relating that they avoid people who they think might be armed. I think the evidence supports that open carry is far more likely to deter a crime than it is to make you a specific target when a crime is underway.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Okay, I acknowledge that it's possible.

However, "likely a probability"? Why? If it was likely, would it not have happened before now? People have been carrying openly for quite a while, yet we don't hear of this happening.

We do hear of convicts and suspects relating that they avoid people who they think might be armed. I think the evidence supports that open carry is far more likely to deter a crime than it is to make you a specific target when a crime is underway.

Because if I was gonna hold a place up... and I saw someone with a gun in said place... they'd be my first target. Eliminate immediate threat to me then proceed. If it's in my mind, it's in someone elses.

Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Because if I was gonna hold a place up... and I saw someone with a gun in said place... they'd be my first target. Eliminate immediate threat to me then proceed. If it's in my mind, it's in someone elses.

Gas stations typically have less than 200 in their drawers. If you're a criminal, you are not going to kill someone over 200 bucks unless you are seriously f'ed in the head.

I conceal for other reasons, but fearing that I'm a target certainly isn't one.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Given some new criminal activity in my neighborhood, I am strongly considering open carry at particular times. First I want get to know some of the good neighbors that I have not made the acquaintance of. Most know me well, but not all. Our neighborhood watch is gearing up and that is helping.

I sometimes wish for the good old days of pitchforks and torches...

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    An emotional issue? - to OC or CC

And I'm not sure why. Perhaps we are too easily offended :do2:when someone disagrees with our beliefs :dunno:

For my 2 cents worth - I do both. Have OC'ed in town for 3 years now, carried for 10. I live in WC Indiana in a town of 10,000. When I get up in the morning my wpn goes on. Carry everywhere allowed in town, usually OC, sometimes cover with a vest.

I'm self-employed (General Construction/Handyman) and carry on every job - usually CC with vest (so it's not deep cover), some jobs OC.

Never had any complaints. OC however has given me the opportunity to discuss the responsibility to KABA with many.

Only "incident" happened in Wal Mart. Was OC - Had a woman my age (old) pushing past me with her shopping cart who turned, stopping in front of me and blocking the aisle. She give me a look that could have killed (I think my exposed wpn offended her!). My daughters, who were with me, almost died laughing. We didn't make any points there! :stickpoke:

usafe7ret

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Have been gone for a time nice thread really like to see the reason for the way every one carries.

Question - If CCW is such a tactical advantage why do not more LE's and Mil's carry CCW?

Maybe I am biased on my feeling that most of my exsperiance and training is military baised. Plus I have OC'd on some of the nastiest streets in the F'ning world. And most of the time I just had a pistol and 2-4 mags on me. So I do not buy the aurguement that "just becuase they see you OC means your the first to be hit" arguement. Most people will pick a softer prey.

Kramer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    OC is for cop wannabes. The kind of guys that order worthless badges that say concealed carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kramer, but I'm an ex-LEO, does that make it O.K. then?:thumbsup:

I open carried at Target Saturday afternoon (a 1911 in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion at 4:30 and spare mags at 11). Bought groceries and then rented the Kite Runner at Blockbuster (do I know how to party or what?). No one even looked at me. I was dressed like yuppie scum in an Orvis dress causal shirt and Khaki Docker pants and Dockers shoes..

I walked right by two off-duty LEOs, one an off-duty Tippecanoe Sheriff's Deputy and the other an off duty Lafayette PD officer with his wife. Both times I walked by them and smiled and nodded. Do not think they recognized me as I was out of "uniform" (no coat and tie).;)

No women screamed in terror. No children dropped to the floor in spasms of fear and panic. The Special Response Team did not surround Target and start lobbing in tear gas.

People bought fruits and veggies, people bought Fig Newtons and toothpaste and all was peaceful, yet again, in Lafayette, Indiana. We survived yet another incident of open carry--go figure.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Well now that I've learned it is a crime to CC here in my hometown... I'll be OC'n as long as I'm inside Speedway, then pulling my shirt over rest of the time.

Top Bottom