• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We use ours for Pandora, a lot. When we watch TV it's Netflix and Amazon prime for the most part, and there are TONS and TONS of private channels you can dig through...some are total crap, some are adult oriented if ya knowhudamean, some are pretty interesting. We watch the Myrtle Beach channels to see what's going on down there a few weeks before we head down, all kinds of stuff. Roku 3 plays games too.

Roku Private Channels | 2014 Roku Channels Codes List

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So, if I cancel cable and get a Roku, will I be able to watch the Weather Channel and get my Local on the 8's? And what about local news? Current sporting events?

I would like to drop cable, but I watch weather in the am while eating breakfast, our local 6 pm news and then about a 1/2 hour in the evening before bed I watch some sitcom or something like Elementary or Person of Interest.

I live in Lafayette, so there is only one TV station close to us. Would I be able to pick up Indy stations with one of those flat, small antenna's?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I didn't see the weather channel available but there are several other free weather channels. I use weather underground and a screensaver that gives me the current weather, temps, time, pressure, wind speed & direction, humidity, etc WTHR 13 has a workable icon, weather, news, etc. free

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There is almost nothing that is streamed live over the internet. The Roku requires either a WiFi connection to the internet or a ethernet cable connection to the internet. In my house I have DSL with the phone company, it's $15 a month. It's slow but nevertheless we can watch Roku on two TV sets at the same time and have no problem, plus use the computers for email and general browsing. My Roku's are both WiFi (A Roku 2 and a Roku 3).

Go here: The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

Plug in your zip code. It will show you what stations you ought to be able to pull in over the air. You have to have a digital TV receiver, so if your set is very old you will need to buy a converter box. At my Zipcode, we can pull in 10 or 11 channels over the air...including the locals and a couple of PBS stations, by using a set of amplified rabbit ears. My neighbor has a outdoor TV antenna, he gets about 20 different channels, some of which are in spanish, but all free.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is almost nothing that is streamed live over the internet. The Roku requires either a WiFi connection to the internet or a ethernet cable connection to the internet. In my house I have DSL with the phone company, it's $15 a month. It's slow but nevertheless we can watch Roku on two TV sets at the same time and have no problem, plus use the computers for email and general browsing. My Roku's are both WiFi (A Roku 2 and a Roku 3).

Go here: The Digital TV Transition: Reception Maps

Plug in your zip code. It will show you what stations you ought to be able to pull in over the air. You have to have a digital TV receiver, so if your set is very old you will need to buy a converter box. At my Zipcode, we can pull in 10 or 11 channels over the air...including the locals and a couple of PBS stations, by using a set of amplified rabbit ears. My neighbor has a outdoor TV antenna, he gets about 20 different channels, some of which are in spanish, but all free.

Post-Transition Digital Coverage
    Signal Legends
    ico_strength1.gif

Strong
    ico_strength2.gif

Moderate
    ico_strength3.gif

Weak
    ico_strength4.gif

No Signal
    Virtual ChannelBand
    Click on callsign for detail
    ico_strength1.gif
    WLFICBS18-1 Hi-V
    ico_strength2.gif
    WRTVABC6-1 UHF
    ico_strength3.gif
    WHMBIND40-1 UHF
    ico_strength3.gif
    WTHRNBC13-1 Hi-V
    ico_strength3.gif
    WTTKCW29-1 UHF
    ico_strength3.gif
    WXINFOX59-1 UHF
    ico_strength3.gif
    WISHCBS8-1 Hi-V
    ico_strength3.gif
    WFYIPBS20-1 UHF
    ico_strength3.gif
    WNDYMYTV23-1 UHF
    ico_strength3.gif
    WICDNBC15-1 UHF
    ico_strength4.gif
    WDTIIND69-1 UHF
    As I expected, only one channel that is strong. I have zero patience for poor reception. lol. That is one reason why I won't do a satellite.

I'll keep learning since obviously I know little about TV options. I may just need to resign myself to having the cable bill. Or change my TV watching habits. I think I could get into the watching of entire season's of shows one after another, say one a night for the 1/2 hour shows and 1/2 of the episode on the hour shows. Because we go to bed so early,(9ish), there are shows that I might like to watch but I don't. The other thing that would be nice is watching the show sans commercials.

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have 2 Roku boxes. One being an older box and the Roku 2. I like the the Roku 2 a little better since it supports dual band WiFi, seems to respond quicker and has the quick buttons. It also has a audio out port on the remote so that you can use headphones. We currently have Amazon Prime and Netflix, not sure if we will keep Amazon Prime since they are increasing the membership fee to $99 next year.

One other really nice feature is installing Plex on your computer and the Plex app on Roku. This basically turns your computer into media server and you can create a library of just about anything to watch and listen to.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Netflix is $96.00 a year. Amazon is $99 a year. I have both. I watch both via the Roku. If I was going to drop one it would be Netflix. Amazon provides a lot more for the money since I run my Kindles through there, I buy about 80% of all gifts I give from there, if I want to rent a first run film, I can (unlike Netflix), for the $3 extra bucks I get a lot more use.

So for $195.00 streaming fees, plus my $180 DSL bill, plus my 11 free OTA channels on my rabbit ears, I get my entertainment for $31.25 a month. The cheapest Comcast can do anything is about $80 a month...not including internet. Netflix and Amazon and my DSL has been the same price for about the last 3 years. Comcast starts the bill creep after about 90 days.

Top Bottom