• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Roku is the best thing since sliced bread. I watch far more Roku than I do the absurd programing on commercial TV.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What is the bare minimum connection speed to make one of these work? We are in a very rural area and my current wireless internet provider only offers up to 1.5mbps connection speed. The kids play xbox live so I would think that we're fast enough. Do the basic cable channels, FX, USA, etc, make programming available in realtime, or do you just wait for the end of the season and buy it? I would love to give Direct TV the boot and switch over to a gizmo like this. Every time it looks like it might rain to the south, my DTV goes out. Really frosts my cookies when I'm watching something I've recorded only to find out I'm missing several minutes.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    What is the bare minimum connection speed to make one of these work? We are in a very rural area and my current wireless internet provider only offers up to 1.5mbps connection speed. The kids play xbox live so I would think that we're fast enough. Do the basic cable channels, FX, USA, etc, make programming available in realtime, or do you just wait for the end of the season and buy it? I would love to give Direct TV the boot and switch over to a gizmo like this. Every time it looks like it might rain to the south, my DTV goes out. Really frosts my cookies when I'm watching something I've recorded only to find out I'm missing several minutes.

You should be fine. Many of the services also degrade gracefully if slower speed doesn't allow top tier video.

It is now a replacement for cable exactly. Take a look what is available for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video. Many things are there. Many are not. Some are a season behind.

The wife and I watch shows we never saw before that might have aired a decade ago. Ex. Stargate SG-1.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    In their FAQ, they state 1.2 Mbps as the minimum. Are you getting the full 1.5 download speed from your provider? I'm going to guess you aren't.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    In their FAQ, they state 1.2 Mbps as the minimum. Are you getting the full 1.5 download speed from your provider? I'm going to guess you aren't.

It varies, rarely under 1 and rarely pushes 2. I wish we had another option but it's the only game in town.

Now that have removed my head from my arse, it occurs to me that we have a Nintendo Wii collecting dust that with do both Hulu and Netfilx so I really don't need an additional device.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I got one at Costco and LOVE IT. Haven't dove into much yet did watch and episode of Bobs Burgers and the first 2 episodes of south park. I have already talked someone into getting one. Thanks to everyone with the comments.

Top Bottom