• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I am looking for opinions on Roku boxes. I am thinking about getting rid of the cable and going with one to save money. I like what I see but I am not sure of what my wife would think. Curious to see what Roku owners think.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I love ours. We knocked out a bunch or our premium cable channels as a result of getting it. Mostly use Netflix, Crackle, Pub-D-Hub and Pandora.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Buy it. Just bought one in 1080. Have 2 already. Unless u have iphone ipad, this is better imho

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a very similar device and also watch programmin thru pc. We are getting a triple play through cinergy metronet (fiber line)

Our ISP just upped fees, and we can drop Hulu and a cell and be paying 30 bucks more for better internet(no shared line)

We did this, and only "saved" until the year was up. Plus, Hulu keeps dropping channels midseason. I had to torrent a couple shows that I shouldn't have.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I had the original one. Power supply died. Replaced with compatible power and it finally died this year. Pretty good device.

The only thing it couldn't do (unless it has been added lately) is stream from local video sources.

Big J

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Evansville
    My wife and I never had cable/satelite only rabbit ears. We love it, you don't get this season shows but if you have seen them they are new to you. Alot of programming for the kids as well. You watch the shows when you want not when cable wants you to. You can go on a month by month trial. If you dont like it you can always drop it. Give it a try.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A co-worker of mine has a Roku and absolutely loves it. Between that (and ALL the subscriptions....his folks pay for it on their account...and Netflix + online streaming... They don't subscribe to any TV service.

-J-

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Here comes the wet blanket....most of the big cable companies are doing away with unlimited bandwidth use over time. They are all going to be going to a capped system sooner or later and streaming video eats up some bandwidth. I don't know how companies like Netflix and Amazon Video and the like will be able to keep customers if they don't control the delivery mechanism...and they don't.

So enjoy it while you can...the new streaming video pricing models are just around the corner.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Here comes the wet blanket....most of the big cable companies are doing away with unlimited bandwidth use over time. They are all going to be going to a capped system sooner or later and streaming video eats up some bandwidth. I don't know how companies like Netflix and Amazon Video and the like will be able to keep customers if they don't control the delivery mechanism...and they don't.

So enjoy it while you can...the new streaming video pricing models are just around the corner.

Agreed.

Bit of a saving grace: Generally much lower quality image/picture with Netflix streaming really saves on the data transfer.

-J-

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Comcast has 250 GB "limit" right now. We have no TV service other than over the air HD. We stream quite a bit from Netflix and other streaming services. We have trouble getting close to 100 Gb.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I called the cable company today and got down to basic. Saving about $25 a month. I might get the roku this weekend. Monday at the latest. Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We love ours with netflix everyone always is able to find something to watch. We do not have cable. The only problem we have is about once a week it freezes but we just unplug it for about 10 seconds problem solved.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Top Bottom