Anyone going out for deer on Thanksgiving a.m.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Thinking about gettin in the tree stand at 5:30 am tomorrow, weather report calling for 38-40 degrees, few showers, & slight SE wind... first year for deer hunting for me so let me ask a stupid question. Have seen one yearling doe twice in dawn hour (stand), three does & a spike buck once at dusk (stand), and jumped an 8 pointer once at noon (still hunting) in the area I'm hunting... with the current moon phase & cooler/wetter weather, should I head out again 5:30-10 am tomorrow?

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Thinking about gettin in the tree stand at 5:30 am tomorrow, weather report calling for 38-40 degrees, few showers, & slight SE wind... first year for deer hunting for me so let me ask a stupid question. Have seen one yearling doe twice in dawn hour (stand), three does & a spike buck once at dusk (stand), and jumped an 8 pointer once at noon (still hunting) in the area I'm hunting... with the current moon phase & cooler/wetter weather, should I head out again 5:30-10 am tomorrow?

My wife and I were going to go out tomorrow but because the weather is going to be crappy we called it off. If it's a light rain or off and on deer will probably be moving. If it's a pouring rain or storm they will surely bed down.
    Might be worth getting out. If you head out good luck! I would have much rather this been snow i'll sit all day in snow but when you mix, cold, rain and wind... I'll stay home. It's not worth getting sick. Fri, Sat and Sun look cold but decent hunting days.

As for the moon phase, it was full and now going the other way but it's been cloudy here for the last 3 or 4 nights... Might have altered pattern.

Nathan

BK Deer Hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Southeast Indiana
    I'm going to see when I get up.If it isn't a complete downpour and the wind isn't howling I believe it will be great with a cold front coming in. I talked myself into it.
    I killed a big 12 point in 2006 on the 26th of November chasing a doe about the same way.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    probably Saturday evening, then all day Sunday.

Then I'll retire the 870 and break out the bow.

Was hoping to get out this evening, but that wasn't happening.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Got to be in the woods to find them! Seriously, I would probably wait until the rain slows down and the radar looks like it is clearing. The rut is on, so any time you can be on stand is good. This is that unpredictable time of year when bucks go crazy and can chase does any time of the day. Spend the hours out when you can and something good usually happens. Good luck!

BK Deer Hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Southeast Indiana
    I went. Can't kill'em in bed. Didn't see much. Killed my biggest buck 4 years ago almost to the day chasing a doe. Just about went back to bed, wife got up had me put the turkey in the oven then out the door I went.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Well... I have an excuse.:rolleyes: It takes about an hour to get to the farm in Crawfordsville, and I'm supposed to be in Monrovia for turkey at 1pm. Besides my freezer is about full from the doe I took opening weekend so I'm in no "mad rush". I'll be out there again tomorrow!:yesway:

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    My younger brother gave me an early AZ wake up call to let me know he harvested a decent 8 pt this morning at a property we hunt in Thorntown. His buddy didn't have enough time to react because of the fog and had a nice buck bust him before he could get a shot. So, even with the rain and fog IN was having this morning, bucks were movin in Thorntown! :)

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well you can't kill them from your couch. Plus with all this rain, it will be quite and keep your scent way down, and with the wind the deer won't be able to here as good. So it makes you like a ghost to the deer. This was my theory anyways.... That was until I was busted by 3 does about 815 this morning. Got to the stand about 545 this morning, and wasn't too bad. Warmed up a little, probably in the mid to upper 40's, light rain and a nice quite walk in. So after sitting for a couple hours I decide to stand up and stretch the legs out, and while standing I noticed movement at the wood line. So I grabbed the binoculars and saw that there were 3 does entering the wood line about 250yds from where I was sitting. I appeared that the were walking the same trail that I walked in on and were walking right in my direction. Now I am a bow hunter and haven't gotten a deer yet this season and had already made my mind up that I was going to take whatever walked by first (doe or buck or coyote for that matter). So I put the binoculars away and grabbed by bow off the hook since these deer were still heading right towards me. 200yds, 175yds, 150yds, 100yds, 75yds by this time my heart is starting to pound pretty good. So as they are still walking towards me the doe that was leading stopped about 60yds out and was sniffing the air nose straight up, took a couple more steps and sniffed again. I could tell they knew something wasn't right and they began to get spooked, looking around all of them sniffing, and then it happened. Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, Blow, Blow, Stomp, white flag and they were gone back the same way they came from. They never saw me, and had I spent the extra money this year and bought my firearms license I would have been having fresh deer meat for thanksgiving. Oh well. there's always tomorrow and Saturday, and Sunday too. Good luck too all and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Poured down rain all day here. The ground is about saturated and it's starting to run off and connect the puddles in the creek bed.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    rain is a very tiny inconvenience to me, you can always dry off. I try to get in the woods as much as I can, but I was back at home by 5pm for some good Thanksgiving Day food.

Top Bottom