Anyone ever shoot a hole in their house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You're lucky I guess. If she wanted to be a real thorn she could've called the cops and I guess a case could've been made for some sort of domestic violence issue involving a firearm. I'm sure you can guess what the outcome of something like that would've possibly entailed.
    She was a good Marine wife. She just knocked me up side the head when needed. She could hold her own in any situation. Good woman and I miss her. R.I.P.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I forgot to unload my air compressor once before changing the regulator gauge... It nicked my eyebrow leaving a nice bloody trail and put a nice dent in the drywall ceiling! Not a firearm, but could have been just as ugly!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I had a negligent discharge in my house about three years ago. I was just getting into guns. To make a long story short I thought I cleared my AR-15, I pointed the barrel towards the wall( my room is in the basement and behind that wall is the concrete foundation an beyond the concrete is clay) and pulled the trigger to drop the hammer. Instead of a click I got a bang. At point blank range the bullet didn't go through the foundation. I was in my room with my brother and someone else when this happened. After recovering from the initial shock we scrambled to open the windows and spray the basement with cologne and maybe an air freshner. My parents never found out what happened even with the funky smell in the basement for about a day. My dad was outside with the radio blasting music, to this day I still don't know how he didn't catch us.
    I learned my lesson the hard way. Accidents can and will happen to anybody. I am very fortunate and glad no one was hurt in this incident. I now have a lot more respect for firearms and I hope I never go through another situation like this again.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Dont try and cheer him up... RUB IT IN and drive the lesson home as hard as possible before he kills someone next time.

Also, print and laminate the 4 rules, frame it, and hang it on his wall for him.

This ^^^^^^. I have a friend in TX that pointed his rifle (bolt action 30-06) at his bathroom mirror and pulled the trigger. Yes it had a round chambered, went through the wall of their bath, through the bedroom, through the exterior wall, across the yard, through their fence, into the neighbors brick exterior wall! He is a pretty safe gunowner and did something stupid. Could have been tragic though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So if there is a mechanical issue with the firearm and it discharges it is a ND?

Example. New rifle with defective set trigger, disharged when set trigger was set. ND?

Don't start that! It takes all the fun out of standing on the soap box if you can't preemptively judge someone regardless of fact, even before the event in question takes place by declaring that there is no such thing. If nothing else, just like the liberals would say, it's your fault for having one of those evil things! (apply purple as needed)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So if there is a mechanical issue with the firearm and it discharges it is a ND?

Example. New rifle with defective set trigger, disharged when set trigger was set. ND?

Still a ND...your fault or not. In the case you implied, it's a manufacture defect, thus a manufacture ND. If you owned the gun for a while and it goes off, it's your ND for not regularly inspecting and making repairs prior to loading the gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Still a ND...your fault or not. In the case you implied, it's a manufacture defect, thus a manufacture ND. If you owned the gun for a while and it goes off, it's your ND for not regularly inspecting and making repairs prior to loading the gun.

Firearms are mechanical devices, all of which can fail. Occasionally, with no indication of why.
    It is an AD when it fires when not supposed to. It's happened to me twice. (Never let an action close without the idea the gun could fire.)
    We follow the four rules because this CAN happen.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton

I was 5 years old when I witnessed a double barrel 12 gauge fire both barrels when my uncle snapped it closed (broke inside). To this day, I can't chamber a live round in the house due to that memory. Machines break.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Got a big dent in the side of my safe and a hole in the adjoining cinder block basement wall. Was reloading a 1911 after changing out springs. Slingshot the slide and bang. My finger was not inside the trigger guard but the side of my finger could have been riding against the trigger enough to fire it with the movement of racking the slide. Can't say it was me or mechanical malfunction but I blame me. Left the dent and hole as a reminder. 45 ACP is very loud in a small room! Reason to always keep pointed in a "safe" direction. Pun intended

Sounds like the leaf spring was loaded a little light against the sear.

That'll happen with a 1911 real easy when trying to drop the trigger pull weight with a new or tweaked leaf spring without using a lightened trigger.

Need to be careful with that because that condition can cause one to start doubling or go full auto out of the blue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds like the leaf spring was loaded a little light against the sear.

That'll happen with a 1911 real easy when trying to drop the trigger pull weight with a new or tweaked leaf spring without using a lightened trigger.

Need to be careful with that because that condition can cause one to start doubling or go full auto out of the blue.

Yes it can......ask me how I know.

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Yep, as wee lads me and two of my brothers were curious about dads Sears and Roebuck, 16 Ga. bolt action shotgun. It took my parents 20ish years to ask about the hole in the closet.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I often shoot my pellet gun in the basement. I have a "snail" trap built for .22lr that I shoot at.

I bought a new .22 and wanted to try it out but it was late night and I'd rather not risk making the neighbors angry, so I shot at the target. Didn't realize how far off the newly mounted (unfired/untested) red dot sight was. Put a nice little hole through a block in the basement wall.

Pushed a wire through to see if it penetrated both sides, but it was contained. Filled it in and adjusted the sight, ran out the remaining rounds into the trap without issue.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    .38 snubbie AD because I was young and extremely stupid which lodged in a door jamb, and a 1911 .45acp AD that happened while unloading the weapon. It is unexplainable other than my finger had to have gotten on the trigger. Scared the crap out of me and the wife. Almost lost all my guns and/or the wife, but managed to keep them both. The jury is still out on the wisdom of the second half of that negotiation.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I forgot to unload my air compressor once before changing the regulator gauge... It nicked my eyebrow leaving a nice bloody trail and put a nice dent in the drywall ceiling! Not a firearm, but could have been just as ugly!

Had to laugh, one of my bonehead issues came when I had a 50 cal muzzle loader that wouldn't fire at the range. Replaced the caps several times, cleaned the nipple and repeated, just couldn't get it to light the powder. At home tried to use bullet remover but wouldn't engage the ball. Got the bright (dim) idea to try air pressure (couldn't hurt, right?). Soo I removed the nipple, rigged up a fitting and air line, applied about 50-100 PSI of air. This occurred in the garage. Damn bullet did come out, hit the cement floor and ricocheted all over the garage! I was ducking so didn't really see where / what it hit, though I did find a few marks on the walls! Although the air did work, if I ever do that again it will be either outside pointed at the ground or inside in a sand bucket.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Witnessed a ND by someone who should have known better just last week. I can say with certainty that a .40 discharging a couple feet away without ear protection is DARN loud indoors :(

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not, but was witness to someone close doing so. This was from a person that carries with an empty chamber 'because it's safer that way'. He had been showing someone his gun while unloaded and then reinserted the mag. They asked about double action and he took his gun, cleared the chamber while there was a mag in the gun and then proceded to shoot a hole in the wall of a friends apartment. The round went through the wall, took a chunk out of the leg of a neighbors dining room chair, ricocheted off the floor and then hit the table itself. By that time, it was traveling slow enough to only put a nick on the table and then it rolled across the floor.

As soon as it happened, he quickly set the gun on the table and went next door to check on the neighbor. I unloaded his gun for him (he had sat it down so quickly, he did not realize it was still loaded, cocked and had the safety off). He came back saying there was no response from next door. We called the police and they checked on the neighbor but could not get a response either. They did peek through a transom and could see that there was nobody home so the filed a report and left. Notes were left on the door and a day later, the neighbor came home from vacation to find a hole in her dining room wall. I don't know what the final cost to him was, but I imagine it's into the thousands of dollars for damage repair and would not be surprised to find out he was sued.

I am still pissed off regarding the whole incident. I'm pissed off at him for doing such a dumb thing and am pissed off at myself for having something like that happen in my presence. I knew he did not go to the range much but found out after the fact that he did no training at all other than to put the pistol in his holster after loading a mag but not chambering a round. I should have known and been watching his every move. Since then, he has pretty much stopped carrying (probably for the best) which makes me even more angry in that the proper reaction would not be to give it up, but to take it seriously and start training with it.

I will never forget that instant feeling of dread when he did it with the immediate thought of 'What's on the other side of that wall you just put a round through'. It is only by the grace of God that he did not hurt or kill someone and if he had, he could be behind bars at this very moment.

Top Bottom