Anyone ever shoot a hole in their house?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Punctuation is kinda important in a sentance. As I was reading this, I was thinking "how are you here today if it went through your father, both aunts/uncles, and grandma.

Thankfully it was a grammatical error, and not the case.

Sorry to hear that your grandpa wasnt able to learn from his mistake and move on, instead of shunning an American pastime over the incident.
    Literally :lmfao: on that one!

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Here are the pictures.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/erso3cfobibvihf/IMG_1381.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvt56jubj39ipym/IMG_1382.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kddbpypaxhw5ezj/IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

I would bet your going to end up painting the exterior wall. I would push everything in and caulk with Tan paint able Alex or other caulk for now. When spring comes and you get enough temperature you can brush the siding to get the caulk loose and take off any raged edges. You should get a small hammer, I like ball peen because you can get them really small and light, and word the metal out. You will need something to straighten the bottom edge. You might try a slide hammer if you have one handy, if not take any thin flat piece of metal you can fold in half at the end and work it under the siding. so you can hook that bent section and pull it down. After this global warming thing kicks back in you can take some body filler and fill the holes. You can also take a scrap piece of decorative trim and use it to stamp contours into any large areas so they follow the pattern of the siding some. Prime that area with a couple coats and then paint. I recommend painting that whole facing wall and going with something a little lighter. The wall will never be absolutely perfect but should pass the 20 foot test.

For the inside. Pack some backing into the hole. Pack it pretty tight so it doesn't shift around while you are working on it. Paper SUCKS I DO NOT USE IT. I like metal or fiberglass screen material the most. Pack the whole until it the backing material until it your are 1/3 inch from flush. You can buy patching compound at any Hardware. By a quart or so. I would avoid the foam or light material for a whole this size. Use a wide putty knife and cover the whole with a rough coat of mud. and just let it stand for a few hours until it is dry. After it drys go back with a sanding block and just run over it real quick to take down the high spots. You will see where the patch compound shrunk into the whole and will need to put some more in. Do the same process as before. This will take a day or so to do right. After you are satisfied with the level of the wholes put one more very light coat of compound on the wall. Take a wet sponge and wet the area down real well and then use a wet paint roller to get the texture you want on the patch. Let everything dry and them prime and paint, might want to consider the whole wall here as well.

No sermon from me. I am glad everyone is ok. Speaking as someone who makes the occasional bone headed play myself I think I get it.

Best!

-Dave

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I didn't but my brother did.

Back in the mid-70s my older brother (5yrs older) discovered reefer. He'd smoke in the basement then appear at the top of the stairs and do some crazy stuff. One time he grabbed the old .22 Remington octagon barrel and went outside to shoot quarters at point blank range. Wouldn't go through but made a cool looking souvenir.

I was watching cartoons with my younger brother and older one walked into the room and started pointing the gun at us. First me, then little bro, then me and back and forth until he pointed it at me and pulled the trigger. All I remember was the puff of gas out the end of the barrel and the look in his eyes and the feeling that something went through my hair. I looked at little bro and he had the same look as my older brother.

He missed my head by we figure 1/4 inch (from maybe 14 feet away). Put a nice little hole int he wood paneling that my mother didn't figure out until Thanksgiving dinner about 12 years ago (30yrs after it happened.) She nearly died of a heart attack in her chair. Poor woman.

I would thank the reefer for the bad shooting but I've hunted with my brothers and know he's just a terrible shot. Always misses high!

I hoped you beat the living hell out of him

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Accidental discharge is a real concern. It can and has happened to more gun owners than you will ever know about. Just hope no one ever gets hurt by it and I can tell you it in almost all cases makes for a more safety aware owner. Trust me on this I know.

No such thing as AD

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I would bet your going to end up painting the exterior wall. I would push everything in and caulk with Tan paint able Alex or other caulk for now. When spring comes and you get enough temperature you can brush the siding to get the caulk loose and take off any raged edges. You should get a small hammer, I like ball peen because you can get them really small and light, and word the metal out. You will need something to straighten the bottom edge. You might try a slide hammer if you have one handy, if not take any thin flat piece of metal you can fold in half at the end and work it under the siding. so you can hook that bent section and pull it down. After this global warming thing kicks back in you can take some body filler and fill the holes. You can also take a scrap piece of decorative trim and use it to stamp contours into any large areas so they follow the pattern of the siding some. Prime that area with a couple coats and then paint. I recommend painting that whole facing wall and going with something a little lighter. The wall will never be absolutely perfect but should pass the 20 foot test.

For the inside. Pack some backing into the hole. Pack it pretty tight so it doesn't shift around while you are working on it. Paper SUCKS I DO NOT USE IT. I like metal or fiberglass screen material the most. Pack the whole until it the backing material until it your are 1/3 inch from flush. You can buy patching compound at any Hardware. By a quart or so. I would avoid the foam or light material for a whole this size. Use a wide putty knife and cover the whole with a rough coat of mud. and just let it stand for a few hours until it is dry. After it drys go back with a sanding block and just run over it real quick to take down the high spots. You will see where the patch compound shrunk into the whole and will need to put some more in. Do the same process as before. This will take a day or so to do right. After you are satisfied with the level of the wholes put one more very light coat of compound on the wall. Take a wet sponge and wet the area down real well and then use a wet paint roller to get the texture you want on the patch. Let everything dry and them prime and paint, might want to consider the whole wall here as well.

No sermon from me. I am glad everyone is ok. Speaking as someone who makes the occasional bone headed play myself I think I get it.

Best!

-Dave

Thanks for the good advice. For now, I shot the holes full of that expanding foam stuff. With the temps dropping below zero again, I wanted to get the hole plugged and waterproof.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I shot a hole in my bedroom ceiling on purpose once. My wife grabbed a brand new 870 off the wall and scratched it. It was a super grade WingMaster 12ga. I told her it was loaded and to be careful where she pointed it. She knew better but she wasn't happy with me at the time so she decided to argue. Being my stubborn self I decided to win the argument and show her it was loaded and dangerous. I flipped off the safety, pointed it skyward, and BOOM! it went. I was immediately showered with a nice white fine powder from the drywall in the ceiling. That's all the details I'm giving up for now. The rest of the incident was expensive and let's say..."Restrictive"

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I shot a hole in my bedroom ceiling on purpose once. My wife grabbed a brand new 870 off the wall and scratched it. It was a super grade WingMaster 12ga. I told her it was loaded and to be careful where she pointed it. She knew better but she wasn't happy with me at the time so she decided to argue. Being my stubborn self I decided to win the argument and show her it was loaded and dangerous. I flipped off the safety, pointed it skyward, and BOOM! it went. I was immediately showered with a nice white fine powder from the drywall in the ceiling. That's all the details I'm giving up for now. The rest of the incident was expensive and let's say..."Restrictive"
    :n00b: that is not okay. Lucky there weren't some criminal charges there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    020814-OLY-Ashley-Wagner-PI-JN.vadapt.955.medium.65.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    :n00b: that is not okay. Lucky there weren't some criminal charges there.

Didn't say it was OK. She learned her lesson even though I was the one that had to clean up the mess. Not in city limits so I don't know what charges might have been brought. It was stupid on my part and an excessive demonstration.

Aejsl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    During a class I took some guy almost shot his hand off dropping to prone on a dynamic course. I know not through a house but still creepy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Didn't say it was OK. She learned her lesson even though I was the one that had to clean up the mess. Not in city limits so I don't know what charges might have been brought. It was stupid on my part and an excessive demonstration.
    You're lucky I guess. If she wanted to be a real thorn she could've called the cops and I guess a case could've been made for some sort of domestic violence issue involving a firearm. I'm sure you can guess what the outcome of something like that would've possibly entailed.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Got a big dent in the side of my safe and a hole in the adjoining cinder block basement wall. Was reloading a 1911 after changing out springs. Slingshot the slide and bang. My finger was not inside the trigger guard but the side of my finger could have been riding against the trigger enough to fire it with the movement of racking the slide. Can't say it was me or mechanical malfunction but I blame me. Left the dent and hole as a reminder. 45 ACP is very loud in a small room! Reason to always keep pointed in a "safe" direction. Pun intended

Top Bottom