Anyone ever have a significant other buy a gun for you? How did it go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    My wife hunts with a circuit judge in 44mag. When were looking for one in 44, we found the one she bought. She looked it over, did the "look down the sights" thing, then she handed it to me, wanted me to look it over. I did and noticed that the cylinder wouldn't lock up. They sent it back the the factory to be fixed

When it came back, we both went to get it. We got there, I checked it out and it was fixed. I handed it back to her to look at one more time and she was good with it. They get out the 4473 and she starts to fill it out, then a guy behind the counter said she can't do that. Upon asking why?, he says that it would be a straw purchase. Said that because I looked at it, then I had to buy it. Well, I said that we both have looked at it, and it was hers, she was going to carry it out, she was going to hunt with it, and she was going to own it. That didn't matter to them. I told them that if I did the 4473, then it would be a straw sale. Still didn't matter to them. So, I did the paperwork, she got out her debit card and paid for it, she carried it out, and she is the only one that uses it.

I tried, they insisted. If someone gets in a jam for that one, it's on them.

Sound like sexist pigs who don't believe a woman would want to hunt/shoot.

My wife has bought a couple guns for me. She brought me along to make sure all was right. No different than if I was going to buy her expensive jewelry....when tastes are particular, forego the surprise to get it right.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My wife bought me a Sig P220.

She had not hit the 21 mark so she had my father buy it. Nobody blinked an eye since they all knew us.

Wrapped it in a bigger box with a brick so as to keep me from guessing what it was. I thought she bought me a bowling ball.

Nice surprise to say the least.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I've bought my wife 3 or 4 guns, and she's bought me 3 over the 40+ years we've been together. All were traded or sold over the years, no sentimental attachment to guns, other than the Remington model 10 my father left me.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    It seems like range toys would be the best guns to give someone as a surprise. Things like classic WWII rifles and large frame revolvers would seem to be the type of gun that anyone can enjoy, and not have to worry about it "fitting" them or being the best for hunting/carrying.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    About a dozen years ago, my wife bought me a Remington 870 Express Combo for my birthday. We had just moved here to Indy from TH, and since her DL didn't match our address, Dick's wouldn't sell her the gun. So, she had to go to the BMV and get a new license, then go back and buy it. I still have that gun, haven't shot it in a while, but I've still got it.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Excellent gift
    Last birthday:

8f3c0a0d324f2e9582b903bb2d9be061_zps5f2d16c5.jpg

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    My wife bought me an upper to finish my AR and my dad bought me my first gun (SP101) as a graduation gift from college.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      675.6 KB · Views: 1

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Sound like sexist pigs who don't believe a woman would want to hunt/shoot.

My wife has bought a couple guns for me. She brought me along to make sure all was right. No different than if I was going to buy her expensive jewelry....when tastes are particular, forego the surprise to get it right.
    A gun store clerk can refuse to sell to someone if he/she feels that something isn't right. It's a "gut" call sometimes but the idea is to prevent someone who can't legally possess a firearm from doing so. Some are obviously whacky. One time I refused to sell to a guy who came in with a buddy. The buddy handled several pistols and finally showed one to the other guy who said, "I'll take this one." It was so obviously wrong that I still wonder if it wasn't a couple ATF guys checking us out. Another time a man and woman came in and the woman asked to see a couple different 1911 style pistols. The man acted kind of disinterested and pretended to look at accessories. The woman asked a couple times, "Honey, what do you think of this one?" He came over and shrugged his shoulders at several of them then pointed at one and said, "That one looks nice." I took it out of the case, racked it to check it then handed it to her. I asked her to also rack the slide. She couldn't do it but said, "I'll take it." I told her that I didn't think the gun was for her and I refused to sell it. They both walked out pretty quickly and that confirmed my suspicion that they were "dirty." So, don't get your shorts in a knot when something like that happens to you. Just be glad that there are some clerks that are maybe erring on the side of caution.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Okay, I just had an interesting sequence of thoughts. The idea that a business owner can refuse business to someone is a-okay in my book. But it made me think of the situations where some people don't think it is okay. Then it made me think what would happen if a couple that happened to be gay presented the same straw purchase red flags for a firearm and the clerk refused to sell. Then the couple claims it's because they are gay. Would the left actually throw a fit to force the gun store to make the sale? What kind of conversation would they have to have amongst themselves to justify it? :):

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Okay, I just had an interesting sequence of thoughts. The idea that a business owner can refuse business to someone is a-okay in my book. But it made me think of the situations where some people don't think it is okay. Then it made me think what would happen if a couple that happened to be gay presented the same straw purchase red flags for a firearm and the clerk refused to sell. Then the couple claims it's because they are gay. Would the left actually throw a fit to force the gun store to make the sale? What kind of conversation would they have to have amongst themselves to justify it? :):
    If a clerk refuses to sell to someone who is gay because they are gay the clerk should lose his job and the couple would have every right to be upset. However, being gay doesn't confer on anyone the right to bum rush a clerk into a questionable sale. If someone threw the gay card at me I'd respond, "Your sexual orientation, gender, religion or color doesn't matter to me. I'm refusing this sale because your partner looked at the gun, held it, and made the decision but now you say you're buying it. You can pay for it if you want but I'll run your partner's name through on the 4473."

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If a clerk refuses to sell to someone who is gay because they are gay the clerk should lose his job and the couple would have every right to be upset. However, being gay doesn't confer on anyone the right to bum rush a clerk into a questionable sale. If someone threw the gay card at me I'd respond, "Your sexual orientation, gender, religion or color doesn't matter to me. I'm refusing this sale because your partner looked at the gun, held it, and made the decision but now you say you're buying it. You can pay for it if you want but I'll run your partner's name through on the 4473."
    Someone missed the point. :):

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    A gun store clerk can refuse to sell to someone if he/she feels that something isn't right. It's a "gut" call sometimes but the idea is to prevent someone who can't legally possess a firearm from doing so. Some are obviously whacky. One time I refused to sell to a guy who came in with a buddy. The buddy handled several pistols and finally showed one to the other guy who said, "I'll take this one." It was so obviously wrong that I still wonder if it wasn't a couple ATF guys checking us out. Another time a man and woman came in and the woman asked to see a couple different 1911 style pistols. The man acted kind of disinterested and pretended to look at accessories. The woman asked a couple times, "Honey, what do you think of this one?" He came over and shrugged his shoulders at several of them then pointed at one and said, "That one looks nice." I took it out of the case, racked it to check it then handed it to her. I asked her to also rack the slide. She couldn't do it but said, "I'll take it." I told her that I didn't think the gun was for her and I refused to sell it. They both walked out pretty quickly and that confirmed my suspicion that they were "dirty." So, don't get your shorts in a knot when something like that happens to you. Just be glad that there are some clerks that are maybe erring on the side of caution.

Shorts in a knot? Hardly. But based on the info given, it seems over cautious to deny the sale. Don't like my opinion? Fine. But if I experienced that, it would be my last visit to the store. If my wife wants to hunt with a 44, but wants to leverage my experience in making the decision, it does not seem at all unreasonable. And how many gang-bangers are going after false transfers on 44s???

ponch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    I would have have walked out of there without doing business with them just because I refuse to give idiots any patronage. What a bunch of morons.

sounds like a very popular lgs in Goshen, been there a couple times when they pulled that crap. not sure whats up with them and how they read the rules

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    My bride and I were at a gun show in 1982. Our Silver anniv. was just around the corner. She saw a shiny chrome or stainless .22 single action revolver and bought it for my present. I would never have bought that particular gun but I will cherish it forever.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    I have never had a firearm bought for me, but for some reason, I have gotten several knives as presents, and they were engraved!! Two from former girlfriends, and then last Christmas my granddaughter got me one. She was in a store with her mom and said -- Grandpa would like that one! Not the same , but nice anyway.. My daughter hangs out at motorcycle stores and sporting good stores!!! Just like her dad.. :)

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My Mom bought me a lower for my first AR for my birthday. She told them she was buying it for me and they didn't give her any trouble. They even told her which ones I had been looking at the day before when I stopped in to check on pricing to see how much longer I'd have to wait to finish my dang gun lol. Ended up with a nice Stag lower :yesway:

Top Bottom