Anyone ever had a scorpion or tarantula for a pet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    I'm looking into a low maintenance pet for my dorm room. I'm looking into an emperor scorpion or a turantula. I want a docile species so I can handle it. But I don't want something I have to handle all the time so it doesn't want to eat my face off. I've also looked into a goliath bird eating spider but it will more than likely need morre space than I can provide in a dorm room. And from what I've read they can be aggressive. Any advice or input is apreciated !

- Jordan

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    My roommate at college 10 years ago had a pair of scorpions. They were pretty cool and as I remember, pretty low maintenance. They also look pretty badass under black lights, which he liked because he was a pothead. Lol

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm looking into a low maintenance pet for my dorm room. I'm looking into an emperor scorpion or a turantula. I want a docile species so I can handle it. But I don't want something I have to handle all the time so it doesn't want to eat my face off. I've also looked into a goliath bird eating spider but it will more than likely need morre space than I can provide in a dorm room. And from what I've read they can be aggressive. Any advice or input is apreciated !

- Jordan

I know you were planning on being the RA, but are you sure you are allowed to have anything but aquatic animals(mainly fish)? I thought that's how most campuses are.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    Had a friend who had scorpions, the only way he could work it out is that he had to lock the tank he had them in so no one could steal them, they couldn't get out, and no one cold kill them. He was the only one allowed to open them(feeding) and that was it. It had to be locked at all times.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    Had a friend who had scorpions, the only way he could work it out is that he had to lock the tank he had them in so no one could steal them, they couldn't get out, and no one cold kill them. He was the only one allowed to open them(feeding) and that was it. It had to be locked at all times.

Yeah, I imagine you would have to check with the dorms to see what the rules are on this. would be pretty easy for someone to let them out...then all sorts of hell could break loose from it

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I had a neighbor kid who had tarantulas his whole life when I was a kid. He had them through HS, I don't know how long they live...

My wife could only have fish and snakes and lizards at the school she was going to go to. She got a snake. Lost it in her parents basement. Got another one, it wouldn't eat, ended up dying. The original came back but didn't know what direction was up. Vet said it ate cleaning chemicals or something. We didn't get her any more snakes.

(this is also before we were married)

Side note, I HATE snakes.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City

LOL I forgot fatty had those, oh freshman year, the memories.

Pretty neat creatures really!

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Get some fish. That way you don't have to handle anything and girls wont be uncomfortable once you have lured them back to your dorm.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I had a neighbor kid who had tarantulas his whole life when I was a kid. He had them through HS, I don't know how long they live...

My wife could only have fish and snakes and lizards at the school she was going to go to. She got a snake. Lost it in her parents basement. Got another one, it wouldn't eat, ended up dying. The original came back but didn't know what direction was up. Vet said it ate cleaning chemicals or something. We didn't get her any more snakes.

(this is also before we were married)

Side note, I HATE snakes.

I hate small snakes...Big snakes(constrictors) are awesome.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I hate small snakes...Big snakes(constrictors) are awesome.

THe ones she had were baby red tail boas. They were only like 9"-12" long. I still hated them. I was glad they died, but I felt bad for her.

She'd decided not to go to that school anyway, and we moved in together at that point, so I went to the bet store to buy her a ferret instead, because it was furry, and I wouldn't mind helping out with it... and we ended up with a dog.

8 years later we still have that barky bastard.

jaramia20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Michigan City
    I have LOVED strange pets for a long time . I owened 2 emperor scorpions at one time and they are not hard to care for . The best part about the emperor scorpion is , it WON'T kill you . Unless you have an allergic reaction to the venom . I was stung several times ( I liked to show them off ) . It's a lot like a Bee sting . Good luck . Send pics when your get something , and wecome to you new addiction !!!!

J

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    THe ones she had were baby red tail boas. They were only like 9"-12" long. I still hated them. I was glad they died, but I felt bad for her.

She'd decided not to go to that school anyway, and we moved in together at that point, so I went to the bet store to buy her a ferret instead, because it was furry, and I wouldn't mind helping out with it... and we ended up with a dog.

8 years later we still have that barky bastard.

You hate snakes, so you bought her a furry, 4-legged snake?

I HATE those things.

My buddy used to have one and it would crawl under the couch, sneak up and bite my ankles...It wouldn't be hard enough to break the skin, it was more of a reminder that he was under there.:n00b:

I think he just knew I didn't like him.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    I know you were planning on being the RA, but are you sure you are allowed to have anything but aquatic animals(mainly fish)? I thought that's how most campuses are.
    i am an RA, ive already cleared it with the boss man. that was the first thing i did when i decided i wanted something.
    Yeah, I imagine you would have to check with the dorms to see what the rules are on this. would be pretty easy for someone to let them out...then all sorts of hell could break loose from it
    i let very few people into my room. the only ones left unattended are the people i trust with my life. so that shouldnt be an issue.
    Get some fish. That way you don't have to handle anything and girls wont be uncomfortable once you have lured them back to your dorm.
    im not a "go out and get laid just to do it" kind of guy. if a girl is up in my room she will be warned about it in advance. the only females ive brought up so far this year are good friends. it takes me a while to trust people, so by the time they come to the room they should know me well.
    I have LOVED strange pets for a long time . I owened 2 emperor scorpions at one time and they are not hard to care for . The best part about the emperor scorpion is , it WON'T kill you . Unless you have an allergic reaction to the venom . I was stung several times ( I liked to show them off ) . It's a lot like a Bee sting . Good luck . Send pics when your get something , and wecome to you new addiction !!!!

J
    im actually leaning towards an emporer or a tarantula. as cool as a goliath would be i want to be able to handle it. and i just cant provide enough space for a 12" diameter spider in a dorm. that and the whole barbed hair defense thing kinda ruins it for me.

i still need to check and make sure i can get crickets or roaches year round here in town. thats on my to do list for tomorrow. then its on to Evansville to go shopping on Saturday.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    You hate snakes, so you bought her a furry, 4-legged snake?

I HATE those things.

My buddy used to have one and it would crawl under the couch, sneak up and bite my ankles...It wouldn't be hard enough to break the skin, it was more of a reminder that he was under there.:n00b:

I think he just knew I didn't like him.

No, I typed that wrong. We went to buy a ferret and bought a dog instead. We never got a ferret. My bad.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    The idea of keeping scorpions as pets doesn't really bother me but I'd rather have 10 cats over 1 spider and I HATE cats. I was going to do a nice setup for a ball python but the landlord I had said no pets but fish and when I moved I sold the stuff I had.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I stepped on a scorpion in Phoenix at the Holiday Inn I stayed at.
    It lived and I almost wet myself when I saw it crawling on the floor.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I had a pet black tarantula named "Boris". He grew to be huge and would bite anyone that stuck their hand in his terrarium. I used to love throwing mice in there and watching how quick he was and how fast they died after he bit them. He lived for a couple of years and was quite the conversation piece.

Top Bottom