Anyone ever had a scorpion or tarantula for a pet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I had a taurantula for a couple of years. Giant black sucker from South America. Not a friendly pet. Never held it actually. It ate pinkies (baby mice). And I do mean ate. Not suck the juices out but actually dissolved it bones and all.

Cool pet, but it got out of the aquarium one night when I had stayed at my girlfriend's apt. Came home and "Terri" wasn't in her cage. Not a cool feeling. I found her after a while but completely nerve racking "clearing" my apartment for something like that.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I had a boyfriend once (for a very short time).

The first time at his house, he showed me a cage with 2 scorpions. He proceeded to pick one up and put it in his mouth. I never went back there. And I broke it off a week later. lol

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Squadron had an emperor Scorpion mascot named "El Gaupo". Always amusing watching new pilots read the handy dandy bug book telling them it was "safe" to handle said bug, then proceed to reach into the aquarium....smart ones pulled thier hand out REAL fast.... dumb ones got bee stung. Thing had a bad attitude!!!

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I took my tarantula to college when I went. I highly recommend that you double check on your school rules, or make friends with your RA's. If its your first tarantula, I would highly recommend a Chilean Rose. They are a very very mild temperament, are very docile, and do not require exact specifications as far as humidity and temperature. They get to be right about 5 inches, and my girl is about 8 years with a life expectancy of 15-20. Males only live to be 5-7, at maximum. Crickets from your local pet store do wonderfully or a little pinky mouse when they are all grown up.

Hope all this helps!!
    Here is a cheat sheet for care! Chilean Rose Tarantula Care Sheet

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Well i got an emperor Scorpion today. Her name is Sheila (the red vs blue fans will know why) shes temperamental now but she is adjusting to her new home. here is a pic

34705_1572959516353_1006479429_1608414_3697500_n.jpg

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    So...how long will it take for her to be more comfortable in her new home? Or how long will it be before you can handle her? Do you know if it IS a her? Or are you just guessing?

She's (It's) cool *ish*. I'd be super scared of it, but if you're into that sort of thing, GO for it. :)

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    COOL! (but creepy!)
    thats the general reaction i get. everyone wants to see her but no one wants to handle her. even if they did i wouldnt let them now, shes still a little freaked about her new home. everyone LOVES seeing her under a black light. i will attatch a pic of that as well.
    So...how long will it take for her to be more comfortable in her new home? Or how long will it be before you can handle her? Do you know if it IS a her? Or are you just guessing?

She's (It's) cool *ish*. I'd be super scared of it, but if you're into that sort of thing, GO for it. :)
    hopefully she will adjust in a few days to her new home. once she figures out i dont want to hurt her she will calm down. she hasnt tried to sting me yet but its only a matter of time. every time i touch her or try to get her to crawl onto my hand she goes into a defensive stance. males have smaller pincers than females and females have less pectines than males.

every time she gets scared i get scared because i dont want to get stung. i know she can sense it. i need to work past that.
    AND what the heck is Red vs. Blue?
    Red Vs Blue is an animated/machinima series of videos made from the HALO games. one character is named Sheila, she is a scorpion tank. seeing as how my scorpion is somewhat aggressive towards me as of now it seemed fitting.

Here she is under a black light, it doesnt do her justice. she is BRIGHT.

63826_1573074479227_1006479429_1608767_6213184_n.jpg

heres the rvb sheila NSFW LANGUAGE!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5U3D2w2MI4]YouTube - Red vs Blue - How not to drive a Scorpion[/ame]

Top Bottom