Anyone ever been to D.R. Long Range Concepts LLC out in MO?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This looks like a really nice setup and the resume on these instructors is pretty impressive. While I've not priced this out in a couple years, it looks to be pretty price competitive. I like the fact that in most the pictures they are heavy on the type of gear I like and light on the type I'm not interested in. In other words it looks like field shooting and less shooting jackets and other impractical competition oriented gear. Not meant to be a jab at that gear but I enjoy the idea of being able to be accurate with my rifle, sling, and knowledge. I'm more of an Appleseed guy and less of an NRA match kinda guy when it comes to gear.

How fun would that be to get a sniper/spotter buddy and start making your way through the courses! :rockwoot:

http://drlongrangeconcepts.com

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not familiar with them, but I can almost guarantee that you'll be using a bipod and improvised rests a lot more than you'll be using a supportive sling (if at all). I mention this because you talked about gear.

You might also want to investigate the following schools that have excellent reputations (I've not been to them, but I have friends and acquaintances whose opinions I value how have):

Badlands
    Rifles Only
    Tiger Valley
    Storm Mountain

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have not heard of them either, but that doesn't mean anything. There are so many training companies out there no one could keep up with them all. Have you tried doing a search for AAR's at places like Lightfighter.net? If I don't know somemone who has taken a class I am interested in, I definitely try to find reviews of the class. The important thing is to find out if the review is done by someone who has had previous training. I can not count the number of people who have told me instructor "S" is fantastic. I say cool, who have you trained with besides instructor "S"? More times than not I get a blank look. If you don't have something to compare it to, or you can't take it right out and put the skill to use to verify it, then you really have no idea if it was good training or not.

Krazyjohnny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    McKinney
    I have been to 3 courses with these guys. You will not find a crew of folks that are more focused on your success. You have to bring the correct attitude and be willing to adjust to new things. You will learn some things to make you more successful in the field. They do provide instruction on alternate shooting positions utilizing slings, bipods, tripods and improvised support.

Super people creating great results. If you have the time and means to get to one of their classes get there.

John1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Rogers
    Yes I have been and would highly recommend to anyone from a novice hunter to a two man team wanting to getting into competitive LR Shooting. In addition to the impressive resume's the staff at DR LongRange Concepts really knows how to teach it which is really more important to the resume itself. They not only teach the basic fundamentals such as DA, reading wind, proper technique, etc but also your equipment, Kestrels, apps. If you are a newbie wanting to get into the sport you will be pinging steel at 1,000yds by the end of the weekend. They also sell the equipment at prices better than anyone online and only sell what they found works best by trial and error. I like that students continue to learn even after the classes as DR maintains a very active FB page for Alumni only with lots of discussion and lots of questions answered. IF you can't tell, Im a fan.

JayT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Weatherford
    I have taken two of their classes and shot at some of their Alumni events. Just like the guys above said, top notch people providing excellent training at all levels. They have steadily improved their facilities and now have a very well rounded range of shooting environments. Motorized mover targets, urban scenario range and several good old fashioned precision distance ranges. They just recently added a tower that allows shooting out to one mile. After looking around at other schools, I am convinced they are the best value out there in precision rifle training.

John1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Rogers
    Nope. But we are both alumni! I'm sure Ron and Densie the operators of the program can give you loads of references if anyone wanted.

Scw85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Lowell
    Hi,
    i took the long range Hunter class at dr long range a few weeks ago. Ron and Denise have an excellent operation setup. I've been shooting for a long time but never had formal instruction and I learned a lot of fundamentals that are the base for being a good shot at long range. The whole team is very helpful and knowledgable about different shooting positions and equipment. You actually get to find out what works best for you and see what equipment really works. That class was great and I am already planning on taking another one next year. Hope that helps and Ron and Denise are great communicators so I would recommend reaching out to them if you have any questions or concerns.

arminer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Jonesboro
    I completed the Long Range Hunter Class in March and it was well worth the money. Ron and Denise have gather together some of the best people in the area to teach the class. A world class organization. There was an instructor or staff member for each two person team. My goal starting the class was to be confident in shooting 200-300 yards. We exceeded that and I shot over 800 yards on the second day. Several people were using 4-25 scopes however, I was using my 6-9 scope. They showed me the best use of the gear and I feel confident in shooting 500+ (targets). The long Range hunter class is a good starting class. Safety was the first priority.

This class is a good team building experience as well. The best thing was being able to spot for another shooter and tell them what to do to hit the target. I enjoyed that just as much as shooting the long targets. You build trust with your shooter and you hit targets very quickly. With out that trust and communication, the team will fail.
    I would encourage you to e-mail them any questions about the class. Determine what are your goals? They will make sure you exceed them.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    So, KrazyJohnny, John1776, Jayt, Scw85, and arminer, welcome to INGO!

Who are you guys? Where have you trained besides DR Long Range Concepts?

It's always nice to know where a guy's coming from, you know?

Krazyjohnny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    McKinney
    I have trained with Tiger Valley in Texas, Adrenaline Proving Grounds, and the US Military.

I shoot on occasion with the TxPRC and some other PRS folks here in Texas. I am not a competitive shooter. I do reload my own long range ammo. I am also an NRA Certified Rifle instructor and RSO. I teach Boy Scouts and some limited adults.

My wife and me attended a Wyoming Elk hunt organized by DR Long Range Concepts and 5K Outfitters last October. Ron and Denise provided 2 days of training prior to heading out into the field with our guides on the hunt. We collected valuable data and established that TEAM with our guides to make us successful. We shot at ranges out to 1500 yds in training prior to the hunt.

We departed on our hunt and I took my first ever elk from 891 yds with my 300 wm (1 shot) and the next day my wife took hers from 825 yds with her .270.

When I say they are committed to your success, I think this says it all.

John1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Rogers

Im from MI moved to AR in 2009. I took Long Range Precision Rifle I in 2011 to get ready for an Elk hunt and discovered how much fun the world of LR shooting is. I also discovered it is addicting and expensive! Im less into tactical and more into hunting related shooting. We got word on our Alumni page someone was asking questions on the program so a few of us came over here to chime in! Hope this helps.

JayT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    Weatherford

I was purely self taught at LR for about 8 years along with some friends. Living in the plains of Western Oklahoma, deer hunting can get very frustrating if you cant take a longer shot. I thought I had become a pretty decent LR shot at hunting ranges but wanted to stretch it out farther yet. I started out with their LRPR-1 course in 2013, just finished LRPR-11 in February and am taking the LRPRIIIC in May. My skills and abilities have advanced immeasurably as well as my confidence in analyzing the conditions that dictate the shot considerations.

The DR staff are completely dedicated to your training progress. This really is a labor of love for them and it truly shows.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Very cool! Thanks for the info guys and please stick around. The more the merrier!

I am not an elk man, but is 825 yards an ethical shot on an elk with a .270? If it worked, obviously the proof is in the pudding, but I always figured a .270 doesn't carry enough energy at that distance to feel comfortable taking that shot.

Last edited:

DRLongRange

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2015
    Garfield
    Not A CHANCE, I would never support such a thing - Good day gentlemen, these folks came here because we saw that someone was looking for a review of our training program on this forum. We in turn advertised your forum on our Alumni Facebook Group inviting them to respond, they volunteered to come here and give you reviews. I would never support, nor allow anyone to write a review that had not in fact been through our Courses. It is the internet and this is 2015- I realize there are folks out there that would do such a thing....Not with this high integrity crew. Hope that helps sort out the multiple reviews. Have a great weekend, Let us know if you need anything, Ron

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not A CHANCE, I would never support such a thing - Good day gentlemen, these folks came here because we saw that someone was looking for a review of our training program on this forum. We in turn advertised your forum on our Alumni Facebook Group inviting them to respond, they volunteered to come here and give you reviews. I would never support, nor allow anyone to write a review that had not in fact been through our Courses. It is the internet and this is 2015- I realize there are folks out there that would do such a thing....Not with this high integrity crew. Hope that helps sort out the multiple reviews. Have a great weekend, Let us know if you need anything, Ron

Thank you for the clarification, sir.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Thanks for the explanation. Stick around and share your thoughts on stuff, I would like to learn more about your program and welcome your input on stuff in general.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom