Anyone else use Skateboard grip tape on their handguns? (Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    i tend to sweat a little in the summer, try to shoot in varied weather conditions, with that being said how often does the tape come loose and have to be replaced ?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    i tend to sweat a little in the summer, try to shoot in varied weather conditions, with that being said how often does the tape come loose and have to be replaced ?

Sweat and heat combined with handling do move it. I back mine up with superglue on my stainless steel gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you're serious about it, you can use a heat gun to help it conform to the contours of your gun and that should help it stick better.

Given that, I've never had the adhesive fail before the surface was too smooth to do any good or it abraded away, both of which require replacement anyway. It probably helps that on a 1911 you can secure the tape on the front strap with the grip panels, though.

Sweat and heat combined with handling do move it. I back mine up with superglue on my stainless steel gun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you're serious about it, you can use a heat gun to help it conform to the contours of your gun and that should help it stick better.

Given that, I've never had the adhesive fail before the surface was too smooth to do any good or it abraded away, both of which require replacement anyway. It probably helps that on a 1911 you can secure the tape on the front strap with the grip panels, though.

Anchoring the tape with the grips is a huge help. On my 1911s I use heavily checkered grip panels, then just put a piece of grip tape on the front strap, and it stays in place for years tucked under the panels.

I tried some tape on a glock. I did everything by the book... cleaned w/ rubbing alcohol, used heat to shape it, rubber banded it and left it sit over night, etc. Still came off after about 10 draws. ... So I got out the soldering iron and stippled it. Works great.

-rvb

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    My grandpa used skateboard deck tape on the slide of his Keltec .25, he has gout in his hands and the tape allows him to pull the slide, also doesn't look out of place.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I use AGrip from Brooks Tactical Systems on my G34. I like it a lot better than skateboard tape. Costs more but seems to last forever. It doesn't move and the more my hands sweat the more the grip is non-slip. The company makes it for several other manufactures not just Glocks. Thinking about getting one for my CZ, if I don't go with G10 handles.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have it on my Rock Island:

IMG_1830.jpg

...and on my Kimber;

IMG_1202.jpg

I used to have it on my ATI, but I ended up putting one of those temporary front straps on...it works great, too!

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    JetGirl; which one do you like the best? I am thinking of getting the temporary strap for my 1911 also.

It's a draw.
    They're both the right amount of aggressive friction and they're both removable without marring the finish. They both stay put without movement and they both withstand sweaty oily hands or heat from laying on a shooting bench in direct sun in July. :D
    I will give props to the temp strap for "looking better", though! :yesway:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I ran out of the Non Skid I was using for guns and tried to find Skate Board tape at Dick's, GM and Wally World and none of them had any. Where do you guys and gals get it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I use the stuff you can get at hardware or home supply stores that you put on stairs and other places you don't want people to slip.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've gotten it at Dunham's and skateboard shops. You can probably find something near you with this.

Thanks JG! I looked at Dick's and GM yesterday but neither place had any. I've used he Non Skid stuff from Lowes but the grit seems to wear off quickly. I want to try the "Real" Skateboard tape to see if it last longer. :yesway:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Well I got some Skate Board tape at the Surf and Board shop in Broad Ripple.... AND A TWENTY DOLLAR PARKING TICKET!!!! :xmad: I was driving down the street looking for the place and BAM there it was and an empty spot right in front! So I run in and get what I need, a foot square sheet for $2) and am back out in 5 minutes! They don't have meters there and you have to pay in a box about a half block away. I didn't see a cop or meter maid before or after I went in. Jeeeebbbuuusssss!!!!

Top Bottom