Anyone else use Skateboard grip tape on their handguns? (Pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A couple of years ago I started carrying a 642 and the grips do not cover the backstrap causing a black/grey/black pattern to be noticeable when I pocket carried (my wife asked if I had a remote in my pocket).

So I ran skateboard tape down the back to cover the grey. It also really improved the grip.

tape1.jpg

Sweet! I need to do that!

-J-

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have grip tape on both my 1911s as neither have frontstrap checkering. I actually sort of prefer the grip tape to checkering. It isn't as pretty, but I think it does the job better. For me, I find the key is to run the tape under the grips. That helps protect the edges from getting peeled up and makes it look and feel a lot nicer.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I usually do mine on the grips, plus a small bit on the slide in two spaces:
    1. On back (sides) of slide for improved grip during tap/rack
    2. Small bit in front of rear sight in order to have a gripping place when performing weak hand reloading with one hand (grab it onto pants and let 'er rip!).

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    3M sells a roll of stuff that is identical to skateboard tape, available at Menards or any of the big hardware store that is about $4. It is also just the right width to perfectly fit the frontstrap of a 1911. 1 roll would be enough to do about 700 fronstraps. I put in all over all of my guns and have been using the same roll for years and it isnt close to half gone yet.

For best results degrease thoroughly any area you wish to put it on.

good post, mike. 3M also sells grip tape that is for barefoot traffic. not as aggressive.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    A related note - I use tennis racket grip tape on my plastic pistols. It is thin, replacing it is easy, and no lasting changes to the gun. If you use it on an XD, it depresses the safety and the gun becomes Glock-like.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I actually came up with this idea after I took my Taurus PT845 shooting yesterday. I realized that my hands (as they have been my whole life) are really sweaty, and it kinda sorta affects how well I can pull back the slide on my gun.

The grips on the 845 are very well designed and even with my sweaty hands I don't have bad slippage. I do still intend to put some grip tape on the grip as well though.

Anyway, my main idea was doing the tape on the grooves on the slide. I'm not going to fancy the appearence of the gun as much as I currently do (It is the Stainless Steel slide, after all) but I'm looking for the very important functionality factor.

Any thoughts? I'd also like to know where I could pick some up around the North / Northwest / West side of Indy. I saw that somebody had posted that 3M sells their own kind of grip tape; is that something I could probably find at my local wally world then? And it isn't some funky color is it?

-AXT

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    if you look at lowes/menards/homedepot you can find tape they use to put on ladder steps, works pretty good.

Was happy to have grip tape on the Glock at Sunday's USPSA match, as it was so humid we were soaked to the core.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'd also like to know where I could pick some up around the North / Northwest / West side of Indy. I saw that somebody had posted that 3M sells their own kind of grip tape; is that something I could probably find at my local wally world then? And it isn't some funky color is it?

I'm going to overlook necroposting in an almost 2-year-old thread, because it's a good topic that some of our newer members might be interested in. :yesway:

You should be able to find 3M anti-slip tape at any good hardware store; dunno about Wally World. The stuff I bought at Home Depot was black. As previously mentioned, it can be had in varying widths and grits.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm going to overlook necroposting in an almost 2-year-old thread, because it's a good topic that some of our newer members might be interested in. :yesway:

ah, you're saying he won't be punished for using the SEARCH!

;)

Heh, I always get a kick out of people complaining about not using SEARCH, only to see people yelling about digging up old threads.

Shooter521 - MOD skillz +1

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Heh, I always get a kick out of people complaining about not using SEARCH, only to see people yelling about digging up old threads.

There's a fine line to be walked. :) Normally, necroposting (almost always by a new member looking to get his 15 or 50 posts) is a pet peeve of mine - especially when a thread is this old, when the topic was a silly one to begin with, or when there are other more recent threads covering the same subject. But occasionally the thread in question has value, like this one.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Burner grips (made by Jerry Barnhart, The Burner!) are a great substitute for grip/skate tape. Made by epoxying silicon carbide to thinned factory grips (such as 1911s or beretta 92s). Dont' have to replace them or have to worry about them sliding around or falling off. I have them on my match 92s and they've lasted for several years and many hundreds of hours of practice/matches. (Now that I have a bead blast chamber, I'm hoping to make my own.)

When using tape, I like to use a heat gun to shape the tape to the gun. less likely to peel.

I've also epoxied the tape in place so it lasts much longer before sliding around. This works really well on a carry gun so I can put a very small piece where I need it most for grip, that way I don't have it all over the gun to snag on clothes or rub off skin.

-rvb

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Have had skateboard tape on the front strap of a 1911 for a while now....does wonders for the grip, though after about the hundredth round the hand does start to get a little sore.......:)

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    so im reviving a thread from 2008....but i did a round check on my m&p9 and must of had some oil on the slide from the last cleaning or maybe something on my hands or maybe im just a weakling...but i could not keep my fingers from slipping. i've seen some slides with some custom scallops cut in. but i dont want to hack up my slide.....so i was searching google & bing and stumbled onto this. so i decided to do it, stopped at menards and bought a roll of deck stair tread tape, 15 foot roll for $10, i decided to use the rest on my deck stairs. i put a tiny spot on one side, and a small strip on the other and WOW what a difference!!!!
    tumblr_mbupbyZMta1qzbcawo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mbup6stVvS1qzbcawo1_500.jpg

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    The grippy stuff ....

.... for cell-phones / i-pods, etc. is MUCH thinner and not as spendy as a whole roll or package of other grip-tape. Also comes in colors. EBG

Top Bottom