• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    For anyone that loves the 17 HMR you should check out the .17 remington fireball. There is no recoil, just a bit more noise, and best of all twice the effective range of the HMR. If you reload you can shoot this caliber for a little less than the cost of buying .17 HMR ammo. Just my 2 cents.

I second that one. I got rid of my 17hmr savage model 93 after I got my 17 remington a few years ago. Never used the hmr anymore. It was super accurate and fun, I just never used it. Like Brad said, pretty cheap to load the bigger 17s, plus more bullet choices:) Still love shooting rimfire, and I'm sure I'll have another hmr one of these days.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I put a 17 mach 2 cal green mt. barrel on my77/22 very accurate .very easy to change.nice groups out to 100 yrd. I bought 1000 rds of eley from cdnn $82.00 should have bought more.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I wouldn't buy the savage in stainless if it was 50% off. I picked up three of them new on shelf,and they had rust on them. On the bolt assymbly they used carbon steel retainers and clips, which had impregnated the stainless bolt assymbly and started rusting. Never even fired. That sucks. I bought marlin, much better quality.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i have owned numerous stainless Savage rifles and never ran into a rust problem like you found below. I would be willing to bet there was more to the story.:twocents:

I wouldn't buy the savage in stainless if it was 50% off. I picked up three of them new on shelf,and they had rust on them. On the bolt assymbly they used carbon steel retainers and clips, which had impregnated the stainless bolt assymbly and started rusting. Never even fired. That sucks. I bought marlin, much better quality.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Nothing against the 17 hmr as a round but was anything left of the critters you shot. The one time I chest shot a small red tree rat with a 17 hmr all that was left between front and rear legs was a piece of skin/fur.

No problems with destroying the meat if you shoot them in the head. Most any .17 should be accurate enough for head shots unless it's long distance.
    If you're within 40 yds of a squirrel and the little bugger will stand still, you could put one in his eye!!

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    i have owned numerous stainless Savage rifles and never ran into a rust problem like you found below. I would be willing to bet there was more to the story.:twocents:

I was with billy when we saw this and I work in the metal business... even just sitting on the shelf carbon steel can impregnate stainless and it will start to rust. This rifle was brand new and still had all of the packing oil on it.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    I wasn't doubting the validity of your claim. I just don't like to see a brand as highly regarded as Savage have their name disparaged over 1 rifle. Savage as a brand is highly regarded and deserves a bit of respect. They offer an excellent quality product for the price. :twocents:

I was with billy when we saw this and I work in the metal business... even just sitting on the shelf carbon steel can impregnate stainless and it will start to rust. This rifle was brand new and still had all of the packing oil on it.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I had a savage 93 in .17hmr, sold it out of discouragement for the round. I was out with it and encountered a coyote, headshot at 40-45 yards skipped off its skull, ended up having to shoot the thing with my glock. sold the 93 a week or so later.

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i had similar problems with the .17 hmr round. they just don't have the energy to kill varmints effectively. Thats the reason that i started using the .17 fireball, .17 remington, and .204 ruger.

I had a savage 93 in .17hmr, sold it out of discouragement for the round. I was out with it and encountered a coyote, headshot at 40-45 yards skipped off its skull, ended up having to shoot the thing with my glock. sold the 93 a week or so later.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I have a henry lever action in 17hmr , great gun Ikeep it next to the back door for critter control , have killed a coyote and a red fox with it. 1 shot each neither went more than 20 yards.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I wasn't doubting the validity of your claim. I just don't like to see a brand as highly regarded as Savage have their name disparaged over 1 rifle. Savage as a brand is highly regarded and deserves a bit of respect. They offer an excellent quality product for the price. :twocents:

I understand your affinity for Savage, and it wasn't 1 rifle it was all 3 that were on display, all new all starting to rust. My point is if you are going to pay for a stainless rifle get a all stainless rifle. Savage is an ok brand IMHO. Marlin is a better brand IMHO. Both Savage and Marlin are very comparable in price, but in quality Marlin has an advantage. Case in point, their stainless rifle is a stainless rifle with stainless parts and Savage's stainless rifle is a stainless rifle with carbon steel parts. Its just hard to spend money on and like a company that would cut corners on quality when there is a company on the same price point that does go the little extra step IMHO. Just my :twocents:.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    i had similar problems with the .17 hmr round. they just don't have the energy to kill varmints effectively. Thats the reason that i started using the .17 fireball, .17 remington, and .204 ruger.

well, at that time I had just bought an fal which I flipped for the ar I have now, and have come to the conclusion the m1 carbine is still my favorite varmint gun....lol I wouldn't mind a .17 fireball on a r700 chassis tho:D

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    I have a .17 in machII and .17 hmr -- like them both but the .17mach is definitely cheaper to plink w/ and it does great on squirrels!

Top Bottom