• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    Picked up my first suppressor yesterday after a long wait. I was wondering if anyone has open carried with their supressor. I seldom ever carry unless I'm headed to the range or woods, so its not something I would do, but thought it could really draw some serious attention. Not good attention, but the kind of attention where people point and stare. Its amazing how many people think they are illegal to own. I can just see someone walking through the mall with a big CAN strapped on! Just curious what everyone else thought?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    To each their own, but that would push the line of practical open carry to a "Hey! Look at me!" scenario in my opinion. Very mall ninja-esque.

Oh top of that I wouldn't want to use a gun with a silencer for self defense.
    The jury would see you as some kind of hitman and not a good citizen defending his life.
    Also if you have to use your gun you want witneses and you want people around you to hear a loud "bang", depending on what caliber you're using they might not hear much.And that could be a problem in some situations.

I would not OC or even CC a gun with a silencer for those reasons.

:twocents:

t1545jh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Kokomo
    To me it would be like walking into a bank with a hoody and sun glasses. It wouldnt be illegal, but probably not the smartest thing to do.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I think this can be filed under, bad idea of the day.

Honestly. Why in the world would you need a supressor on your self-defense weapon?

I know some people like their weapon to be seen and appreciated, and God Bless America you can open carry, but why would you want to draw THAT much attention to you and your piece?

My mind is boggledeth.

But maybe I'm just jealous that you even have a supressor for you gun;)

treken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Funny thread, a friend and I were just talking about this today.

I think it would be cool, but I wonder about what holster you would use.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know some people like their weapon to be seen and appreciated, and God Bless America you can open carry, but why would you want to draw THAT much attention to you and your piece?

Couldn't the same be said for openly carrying a handgun?

I'm kind of surprised by some of these responses. Where are the "it isn't illegal so I shouldn't hide it!" folks? Or the "its the perfect opportunity to educate people on NFA laws" people?

So OC is good and is an expression of our rights, but throw a suppressor on it and you're suddenly an attention-seeking mall ninja hitman? :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Couldn't the same be said for openly carrying a handgun?

I'm kind of surprised by some of these responses. Where are the "it isn't illegal so I shouldn't hide it!" folks? Or the "its the perfect opportunity to educate people on NFA laws" people?

So OC is good and is an expression of our rights, but throw a suppressor on it and you're suddenly an attention-seeking mall ninja hitman? :dunno:

You have to agree that if you use a gun with a silencer it would look pretty bad in court.Even if it's legal and everything.

The sheep from the jury are already affraid of those black evil guns with "high cap clips", if you throw a silencer on top of that im sure it's not going to look good for you.
    That's just one more thing the defense will try to use against you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You have to agree that if you use a gun with a silencer it would look pretty bad in court.Even if it's legal and everything.

Oh I totally agree with that, and think carrying with a suppressor is, for the most part, stupid.

I'm just surprised the argument for OCing isn't being used for suppressed OCing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Oh I totally agree with that, and think carrying with a suppressor is, for the most part, stupid.

I'm just surprised the argument for OCing isn't being used for suppressed OCing.

I dont have any probem with OC, I think OCing a silencer is just a bad idea just like CCing it is a bad idea as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Legal... not prudent.

Even if you could find a holster...you wouldn't be able to draw effectively. And the carry of a handgun would be for defense of myself and others. That means I'd better be able to draw if I need to. A suppressor would royally screw that up.

Carrying a firearm just to show it off, while legal, is NOT the mindset to have, IMO.

As for woods carry... again, perfectly legal. Just know that in IN, one cannot legally hunt or take ANY critters while in possession of a suppressor. Not even vermin around your house.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Not taking on a side on this but I just want to make sure I'm clear on this (and I'm sure there are people who are getting ready for this
    soapbox.gif
    right now)...

Walking down the street OC'ing a .22 cal MP5 clone - OK (but what if it only has a FAKE can?)

Walking down the street OC'ing a suppressed gun - bad.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm not patient enough to wait on a tax stamp, but I've always imagined a Raven holster for my suppressor. Maybe not to carry it on the street, but maybe while at the range. But, if I wanted to carry it everyday, I certainly would. After all, I would have paid an additional $200 just for the privilage to own the thing.

Top Bottom