• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I OC in NWI. I am mostly to the East of you so I don't go into Lake often. If I do, it is to Cabela's.

Usually I don't "convert" anyone because they don't ask. However, I do get lots of questions from current gun owners about the legality.

thegunshow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valpo
    I'm not sure why people think its cool to open carry? you're not doing yourself or "the cause" any favors...I understand its your right to do so, but most of the slack jaws that do OC I could come up behind, disarm and have them drawn down with their own weapon. I carry everyday, always concealed, it draws no unwanted attention, and give me the element of surprise if needed. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but a gun like a jacked up truck or corvette is not a penis extension.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not sure why people think its cool to open carry? you're not doing yourself or "the cause" any favors...I understand its your right to do so, but most of the slack jaws that do OC I could come up behind, disarm and have them drawn down with their own weapon. I carry everyday, always concealed, it draws no unwanted attention, and give me the element of surprise if needed. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but a gun like a jacked up truck or corvette is not a penis extension.

Maybe you should take this to the Open Carry Argument Thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html
    This thread is "Anybody OC in NWI".

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    I OC depending on what I'm carrying. I look pretty ridiculous trying to conceal my usp full size in a serpa holster under my t-shirt. However, if I have one of my smaller guns on me, I do conceal it, for the most part.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There you go with the penis extension analogy. Why is there such an obsession with using that terminology when insulting people who choose to OC? :dunno:

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Well, THERE'S your problem! :lmfao: :D :rofl:

I see a few guys around (haven't seen any women yet, but just a matter of time) OC'ing at Cabela's, Sophia's, etc.

I've been in places to eat where it was too warm for the jacket I had on (what's with having the thermostat set at 85 degrees when it's winter and everyone's wearing jackets!?), and taken my jacket off. Never an issue, or a look, or a 'sideways glance'.

No one's gonna notice. I even {gasp! :eek: } take my jacket off and OC in Dunkin' Donuts, with a whole buncha cops sitting right at the same table!

Do I get 'interrogated'? YES! I get comments like "Hey, cool holster, where'd ya get that?" or "Hey, what're ya carrying tonight?" or "Is that the new XXXX ya bought?" Spooky, hunh? :D

Here's the 'big secret' - DON'T be confrontational and stand up and shout "I got my RIGHTS!" and make a big scene, and you'll probably be fine.

We live between Chicago and Gary. NO amount of law-abiding civilians carrying is gonna outnumber the criminals carrying in this region. Hell, even if ya add in the LEO's and the National Guard Armory, we're STILL outgunned! :D

OR, avoid the issue altogether and CC. This isn't a rural area, even Cabela's and Bass Pro, and avoid looking like a 'cop wannabe'! :p :lmfao:

You have seen oc in cabelas in Hammond? I cc everytime, but I have seen people walk in oc and right there where you walk in, they made them put a lock on their firearm. Once you leave they take it off. Did they change the rules within the last year?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    :popcorn:

I'm not sure why people like like you, use projection onto what others do. It is their choice as to how they wish to carry. I am glad I live in a state that gives me an option to carry as I wish. That being said, sometimes it is OC, sometimes it is CC.

Why don't you just teach a "slack jaw" and go up behind, disarm and point their own weapon at them? It would make for a good laugh to see you in the newspaper police blotter section...but then again, it might be sad to see you in the obit section for having done such a "slack jaw" move.

But getting to the original point of the OP, I OC quite frequently in NWI and rarely get any questions, looks, stares, etc. The last time, was a guy in Sam's club asking about OC because he was from TX and wished his state had that option.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I'm well aware of what the thread is, I just don't understand why it would matter if others OC, if you wanna do it, do it...don't ask when and where its ok.

To answer the OP's question: NO

I never understood when people bash other peoples opinion but give their own. Your opinion is like an *******....it stinks.

:D

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You have seen oc in cabelas in Hammond? I cc everytime, but I have seen people walk in oc and right there where you walk in, they made them put a lock on their firearm. Once you leave they take it off. Did they change the rules within the last year?

I have OC'd at Cabela's several times during the last year. Frequency varies, but probably visit the store on an average of once every 3 to 4 weeks. Granted I wear a coat in the winter time, but the handgun is plainly visible in the warmer weather. There is a check-in at the front desk for people bringing in firearms for service, but that does not apply to people carrying a firearm for personal protection with an LTCH. And I believe there is also a sign posted to that effect. I will look for it next time I am there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have OC'd at Cabela's several times during the last year. Frequency varies, but probably visit the store on an average of once every 3 to 4 weeks. Granted I wear a coat in the winter time, but the handgun is plainly visible in the warmer weather. There is a check-in at the front desk for people bringing in firearms for service, but that does not apply to people carrying a firearm for personal protection with an LTCH. And I believe there is also a sign posted to that effect. I will look for it next time I am there.

Correct. You can carry in the store. If bringing a firearm in for service. It must be unloaded and locked. I suppose that's because its not holstered.

thegunshow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valpo
    There you go with the penis extension analogy. Why is there such an obsession with using that terminology when insulting people who choose to OC? :dunno:

It just seems like small man syndrome....many people don't like it and it makes them uncomfortable...and don't say it isn't your problem, those people vote, and they vote in people against guns just like they are.

thegunshow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valpo
    :popcorn:

I'm not sure why people like like you, use projection onto what others do. It is their choice as to how they wish to carry. I am glad I live in a state that gives me an option to carry as I wish. That being said, sometimes it is OC, sometimes it is CC.

Why don't you just teach a "slack jaw" and go up behind, disarm and point their own weapon at them? It would make for a good laugh to see you in the newspaper police blotter section...but then again, it might be sad to see you in the obit section for having done such a "slack jaw" move.

But getting to the original point of the OP, I OC quite frequently in NWI and rarely get any questions, looks, stares, etc. The last time, was a guy in Sam's club asking about OC because he was from TX and wished his state had that option.

I'd love to do it...but I respect that persons right to OC, I just don't understand why people get such a big head about doing it...just look at the threads on here...people brag about getting asked if they are LEO or other equally stupid things

I never understood when people bash other peoples opinion but give their own. Your opinion is like an *******....it stinks.

So I shouldn't have an opinion on the subject? you have yours I have mine.

thegunshow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valpo
    Correct. You can carry in the store. If bringing a firearm in for service. It must be unloaded and locked. I suppose that's because its not holstered.

If you know about Cabelas can you bring your dog in the store? Bass pro in portage allows it, but I heard they have kennels and you have to put your dog in one while you shop...any merit to that?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I'm not sure why people think its cool to open carry?

Because you choose to cover something up as if you were ashamed of it. :D

thegunshow said:
    you're not doing yourself or "the cause" any favors...

Please explain how we're not doing ourselves or 'the cause' any favors ? Care to elaborate ?

During my recent interaction with loss prevention and the store manager at Meijer, my choice to OC led to a very cool conversation where we both got to discuss several different perspectives and open the manager's mind a bit as to how better handle situations similar to mine (by educating concerned patrons).

The thing is, you simply don't want the attention because you're most likely used to not having anyone pay attention to you anyway (most likely makes you uncomfortable :dunno: or scared :dunno: ) :D

thegunshow said:
    I understand its your right to do so,

Says the guy that conceals out of fear or some unrealized master of gun-jitsu :D yet complains and attempts to stir up yet another OC/CC debate :D

thegunslow said:
    but most of the slack jaws that do OC I could come up behind, disarm and have them drawn down with their own weapon.

I double dog dare you to try this some time :D

Most of the 'slack jaws' that do OC have a backup gun that would be more than happy to share some of it's lead dinner with you, before you get someone drawn down (again, this must be your over confident unrealized mastery of gun-jitsu) :D

thedumshow said:
    I carry everyday, always concealed,

Fradey cat :D

thegunshow said:
    it draws no unwanted attention, and give me the element of surprise if needed.

So.. you don't want folks talking to you, being polite, and having friendly conversations ?? (gun-jitsu again ??) :D

Element of surprise.. please cite one statistic that proves this position and I'll forever be convinced/converted .. it's ok.. I'll wait :D

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but a gun like a jacked up truck or corvette is not a penis extension.

I bet you don't conceal your corvette now do you ?? (well, maybe it's a garage queen :dunno:

I'm well aware of what the thread is, I just don't understand why it would matter if others OC, if you wanna do it, do it...don't ask when and where its ok.

To answer the OP's question: NO

Finally.. you got to the point, which was irrelevant to the topic at hand.. Fabulous :D

/flamerant :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If you know about Cabelas can you bring your dog in the store? Bass pro in portage allows it, but I heard they have kennels and you have to put your dog in one while you shop...any merit to that?

Merit? What does merit have to do with it? Couldnt tell you one way or another about dogs and really don't care

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I'd love to do it...but I respect that persons right to OC, I just don't understand why people get such a big head about doing it...just look at the threads on here...people brag about getting asked if they are LEO or other equally stupid things

So I shouldn't have an opinion on the subject? you have yours I have mine.

You can have your opinion but dont bash someone elses, when yours isnt wanted. Like said before...this isnt the come argue about OC/CC thread.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I live in the NWI area and I've only see someone OC ONCE and it was at the Family Video on 45th off of Kennedy. The guy was OCing some sort of 1911. I couldn't get a good look.

Top Bottom