Anybody have anything good to say about Hi-point pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I own a High Point .380 ACP. I enjoy shooting it. It's a nice first gun. It's cheap and is a good way to introduce pistols to new comers. I've fired about 300-350 rounds of different .380 ammo and not had any jams. I'm purposely not cleaning it to see what kind of machine it really is. The only other firearms I've had any experience is military weapon systems. My friends that have fired it enjoyed it as well. I've fired a Bersa .380 next to it. I liked the High Point more.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Not much to look at, but this is no beauty contest. I would carry one and trust it with my life. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them :yesway:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I had the 995 carbine at last year; it looked and handled great with the ATI stock I installed, but I had lots of failer to eject problems so I ended up trading it. The guy who has it now is pretty happy with it though.

As for pistols, my father in law has the C9, and with less than 100 rounds through it, he is having tons of feed issues. He called Hipoint, and they sent him an new firing pin kit. I tore the gun down, cleaned everything, and installed the new fireing pin. Althought I don't see what the firing pin has to do with feed issues, I'll have him give it a try.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Experience with hi-point

I will start off by saying that i have 2600 rds or more thru my C-9
    and have had ABSOLUTLY no problems with it.
    I was a skeptic at first after some reasearch i just went ahead and purchased one. It was only 116.00$ new:dunno:

I was attracted to the no questions asked policy about parts replacement
    And the fact that it comes with lifetime warranty.

here is my 2 cents

Pros
    affordable
    accurate
    ok sights
    warranty
    little recoil

Cons
    heavy
    The trigger pull tis a little tight
    low capicity
    bulky
    field stripping is a little pain but easy

Overall it is a fun plinker, being a rifle man i bought the Hi-point to get the feel and experience of shooting a pistol with intentions of buying a nicer
    Glock or HK later. I have no regrets on my hi-point purchase:patriot:

INDYK

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Darn, I've always wanted to get some grops when I buy a gun. Guess they only come with certain guns.:laugh:
    I havent been able to find a "grate" warranty either.
    I was at a new job I'm getting in the security field filling out all of the paperwork. One of the other hires is a young kid with a CCW and Security License to carry a weapon. The freaking idiot couldn't even spell "international".

Last edited:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I had the 995 carbine at last year; it looked and handled great with the ATI stock I installed, but I had lots of failer to eject problems so I ended up trading it. The guy who has it now is pretty happy with it though.

As for pistols, my father in law has the C9, and with less than 100 rounds through it, he is having tons of feed issues. He called Hipoint, and they sent him an new firing pin kit. I tore the gun down, cleaned everything, and installed the new fireing pin. Althought I don't see what the firing pin has to do with feed issues, I'll have him give it a try.

Well after cleaning, lubing, and installing the new firing pin/springs, the gun still fails to chamber every other round. The round won't enter the mouth of the barrel, and gets caught between the barrel and slide. So I guess the gun is going to hipoint.

I'm no brand whore, I mean I own Taurus, Olympic, and Century Arms which for some reason are all considered 2nd tier, but with my two hipoint experiences I don't ever foresee myself owning another.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I got my SOG catalog yesterday and they have Hi-Points on sale in there and the prices are so cheap they scare me. I thought of buying a couple of their 380ACP's for stock as that seems to be a popular gun today with the LCP but if they have a bad reputation I better leave them sit. I know they are ugly but so are Glocks. :D

If you've got the time and money, hold out for something of more quality. You'll wish you had after the 'new' and 'another gun' feel wears off...

:twocents:

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    After looking at this photo of a broken Hi-Point, I don't think I want to get caught up in a situation where I have to throw $139.95 worth of salvage at an assailant.

Heavy, blocky, pretty low-cap for the size.

I hear they have GREAT warranty service, cheap, and some people say they have some that just keep on going and going.

Oh, and

IMGA02651.jpg

All gun manufacturers can make a lemon, it's really what you want the Hi-point to do that'll make it right for you or not.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    After looking at this photo of a broken Hi-Point, I don't think I want to get caught up in a situation where I have to throw $139.95 worth of salvage at an assailant.

This has already been said, but do you realize that is the only hi-point kaboom on the internet?

To the OP,

Hi-Points are about price. The market for $100 guns is pretty slim. That is the reason to buy a hi-point. They are useful as a truck/boat gun or to stash extra guns around the house. They have their place.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Hi-Points are about price. The market for $100 guns is pretty slim. That is the reason to buy a hi-point. They are useful as a truck/boat gun or to stash extra guns around the house. They have their place.[/quote]

I was not looking at them for myself, but for resale. I had my share of "saturday night specials" such as Jennings and Davis and have no interest in getting into them again. These were so cheap I wondered if there is a market for them but it doesn't sound like it; I don't need any more paperweights. :D

Mickard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I was thinking of getting the Bersa Thunder 380. Do you think that is better than a revolver for a CCW? I am worried about the "bulge" a revolver would have

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I was not looking at them for myself, but for resale. I had my share of "saturday night specials" such as Jennings and Davis and have no interest in getting into them again. These were so cheap I wondered if there is a market for them but it doesn't sound like it; I don't need any more paperweights. :D

There is definately a market for them, but I would think the 9mm more so than the .380.

My wife got one for her dad on fathers day, and had a hell of a time finding one the Big R in Wabash had a waiting list a mile long.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Did you bother reading th link from Shooting Times that Crystalship1 linked to? Hi-Point Firearms
    Hi-Point Pistols: Basic But Oh So Reliable!
    After putting .45 ACP and .40 S&W Hi-Point pistols through a thorough shooting test, the author says you can call the Hi-Point pistols inexpensive, but don't ever say they aren't good shooters!
    Put me in the camp that likes them. I do admit that I have only ever fired 4 other handguns. My friend Elton has an old 1911 and a 22 revolver that he lets me shoot. My friend Karl and I go to the range together about twice a year and he lets me shoot his Browning Hi Power 9mm and his Smith and Wesson .38 special that he bought new a year and a half ago. I bough my Hi Point .45 in Feb and I can tell you for certain that I can hit what I aim at with My Hi Point, better than I can with the other 4 pistols I have fired. Karl agrees with this assessment. He agrees to the point that he went out and bought his own Hi Point .45 in August. The idea that a Hi Point is only worth buying if it is all you can afford is simply hogwash, in my opinion. It is just plain a good shooter!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    995 and C-9 owner here. Mine run very well. Not the prettiest girls at the dance, but they won't leave you for the quarterback with a broken heart ruining your life forever...Wait... sorry.

Kidding aside, I like mine.
    I quite honestly never saw what was so ugly about it, but If anyone ever has the experience of looking down the barrel of my .45, it is just fine with me if my Hi Point is the ugliest thing he has ever seen!

Top Bottom