Anybody have anything good to say about Hi-point pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    This has already been said, but do you realize that is the only hi-point kaboom on the internet?
    Makes me wonder if it got dropped off a tall building, smashed in a car crash, or purposely hit with a sledge hammer? Even so, if the owner of that gun sent it back to Ohio, Hi Point made it right!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I was not looking at them for myself, but for resale. I had my share of "saturday night specials" such as Jennings and Davis and have no interest in getting into them again. These were so cheap I wondered if there is a market for them but it doesn't sound like it; I don't need any more paperweights. :D

In that case, if you sell them people will buy them. Personally, I wouldn't put them in the "saturday night special" catagory.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Makes me wonder if it got dropped off a tall building, smashed in a car crash, or purposely hit with a sledge hammer? Even so, if the owner of that gun sent it back to Ohio, Hi Point made it right!

Well, it is to be expected that a lemon will get out on occasion. No firearms company is immune to that. It is a good sign that this hasn't happened with enough regularity as to make people take notice. Also, there is the circumstances to consider. Was the barrel clear? Was it factory ammo? That sort of thing. If the answers to the applicable questions turn out right then it was just a lemon. You are right about hi-point taking care of them though. I'm sure the owner didn't lose his shirt trying to get them to take care of it.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Hi-Points are ugly but they work. I have talked to many owners of Hi-Point guns and never heard anything bad about them. I used to own the carbine and it shot very decent and it was 100% reliable. Right now I don't own any Hi-Points, I guess I am into spending money.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    I have a friend that has purchased several hi points over the years. For the money I think they are a decent weapon. But like it has been said the pistols are ridiculous in size. I remember seeing a Hi-point chambered in .380 ACP that was as big as a HK USP. I didn't get that, In my mind a .380 is for a small BUG not a duty size weapon.
    Personally If I was on a restricted budget, I'd save up a little more and get a used Glock, XD or S&W. Heck you can even pickup some of the lower end S&W autos new for about $350.00.

I guess one good thing about the Hi point is if it malfunctions it will make one heck of a club!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I have a friend that has purchased several hi points over the years. For the money I think they are a decent weapon. But like it has been said the pistols are ridiculous in size. I remember seeing a Hi-point chambered in .380 ACP that was as big as a HK USP. I didn't get that, In my mind a .380 is for a small BUG not a duty size weapon.
    Personally If I was on a restricted budget, I'd save up a little more and get a used Glock, XD or S&W. Heck you can even pickup some of the lower end S&W autos new for about $350.00.

I guess one good thing about the Hi point is if it malfunctions it will make one heck of a club!
    I'm a big guy and I really like my big gun! I picked up a Hi Point 9mm and it just seemed like, not enough to hold on to. I do get that Hi Point is not right for everyone. What I don't get is deciding that they are garbage without ever firing one.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    I have a c9 and put 300 rounds through it to break it in. Had about 7 fail to feeds. I might at some point polish the feed ramp. I used Sellior & Bellot 115 gr fmj ammo. I used 2 10 round mags and 1 8 round mag to break it in. I Like the gun alot its fun to shoot.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I quite honestly never saw what was so ugly about it, but If anyone ever has the experience of looking down the barrel of my .45, it is just fine with me if my Hi Point is the ugliest thing he has ever seen!
    This is priceless! And I would have to agree. I own multiple brands and no matter which one (or two) I happen to be carrying on a given day, I don't stop to think if the bad guy will appreciate to looks of my gun if forced to use it.
    I own the HP carbine and have dropped about 400 rounds through it and it has worked great. I had one fail to eject so far. I've found it be accurate. What more can you ask for?
    Let me tell you what I don't like. I don't like the limited cap mags. Also, this is minor, but I don't like the vibration that I feel in the stock of the gun with my cheek when the slide hammers back. This vibration keeps it from being a fun gun to shoot, but if bad guy breaks in and it's the first gun that I reach it won't be a problem. I'm thinking about wrapping the stock to see if that helps.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I'd personally never own one - I was told by a sales rep at Bradis, that you can't take them apart, you have to send them back to the mother ship for any type of repair.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I'd personally never own one - I was told by a sales rep at Bradis, that you can't take them apart, you have to send them back to the mother ship for any type of repair.
    I don't mind someone saying they would never own a Hi Point. Everyone has their preferences, but you were misinformed. They are not hard to take apart. I have had mine apart for cleaning several times, no problems. You do need a punch to take it apart but I got a set of punches at Harbor Freight for $2. The only thing I would caution you about when taking it apart is that there is a spring that likes to go flying. I sort of wonder if that isn't why they put the pin in. So you don't field strip the pistol, and loose that spring.

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Ohio based company that will make repairs in a respectable amount of time. I have never owned one myself, but a friend of mine swears for the price u cant beat em.

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix

If something breaks or its a jam o matic you can send it back and get it fixed free and they give you 2 free mags for your troubles. You just pay shipping. The lifetime warranty is a awesome thing.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If something breaks or its a jam o matic you can send it back and get it fixed free and they give you 2 free mags for your troubles. You just pay shipping. The lifetime warranty is a awesome thing.
    With a warranty like that, Hi Point would defenitly go broke, if the guns were as junky as some claim.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    HiPoint options

Better "grops" then "gripes". And it says INDIANA gunners but some HOOSIER gunners sneak past the mods from time to time. Then there's 'too/to', 'there/their', 'mag/clip', et al. But know-won iz prefetc. Does the S&W 9x19 mag fit the HiPoint?? Pat

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    The only way I'd have one is if it were given to me. My cousin had one and it was a piece of crap. Jammed all the time. It was a 9mm, I don't know what model.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The only way I'd have one is if it were given to me. My cousin had one and it was a piece of crap. Jammed all the time. It was a 9mm, I don't know what model.
    If your cousin would have sent it back to the factory, they would have fixed the peoblem or given him a new pistol.

Top Bottom