• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    - Just like with any other knife or gun in my opinion, especially is this case, the sheath is as important as what you're putting in it. Most neck knives are carried tip up, so retention is key. However you have to find something that will ride comfortably.

- Also consider how high you want to carry the knife, will it ride on your chest or closer to your stomach?

- Where will it be when you sit down? If you have to run how much will it bounce/slide around?

I've tried various neck knives over the years, but can never get them to ride comfortably, I'm a small guy 5'8" 145 lbs, and finding the right length of chord/chain has also been an issue. I like the concept and will continue the search for something that works for me, but it's not something I carry often.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    also, i see alot of neck knife users just using 550 cord or similiar to sling it around their neck.... anyone know the break strength of 550 cord? use a ball chain drawn threw a piece of paracord instead....

as I said, working with my brother to design something manly to take care of that ;)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I have not seen these, are there any pictures of them out there?
    KABAR%20BECKER%20NECKER%20BKR11.JPG

Where do you guys go that you need a knife around your neck?
    Where do you go that you need a gun?

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm going on a canoe trip next year, possibly in Canada. I'm thinking about getting a neck knife for the trip, but I'll have to check out the laws first and see if I can carry it across the boarder. My thought is that having an extra knife around my neck would be helpful in the event that the canoe gets tipped and I lose some of my gear.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm going on a canoe trip next year, possibly in Canada. I'm thinking about getting a neck knife for the trip, but I'll have to check out the laws first and see if I can carry it across the boarder. My thought is that having an extra knife around my neck would be helpful in the event that the canoe gets tipped and I lose some of my gear.

I'll bring the Becker on the 12th, you can use it to butter your toast. For $25, it can't be beat.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am getting one here in a few days and wonder if I should carry around the neck or on the belt. I would think neck carry would only suite you if you were dressed appropiately which my wardrobe wont make that easy. Anybody like/think neck carry is worth it?

Would it still be a neck knife if you carry it on your belt?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't think Canada has any restrictions on knives but guns are different.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! Canada has restrictive laws on pocket knives. We found this out the hard way going through the border crossing into Ontario for a Bear hunt. Anything that can be opened with one hand is considered a switch blade and forbidden/taken on sight.

My cousin had just bought a brand new Benchmade Skirmish for just shy of $200 (I know he's an idiot, but you gotta love him) for this bear hunt. The police on the border called it a switch blade and he came very close to loosing that knife. An older police man there had an allen wrench and tightened it up hard enough that it took two hands and some grunting to open up the pocket knife and that's the only reason he got to keep it. We had a couple of hunting knives that had guthooks and they gave us a hard time about that also until we explained what they were for.

Be careful taking knives into Ontario and make sure you declare it as a weapon. Hope this helps.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

How so? Should I have two or three glocks on me with lasers and extra mags at all times?

During hunting season I left my 44mag rifle on the back seat of my truck, does that let me "Pass"? LOL

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Never mind its not even worth discussing.

I will just go back to drinking my coffee. The 4 law enforcement officers in the next booth would never need my help.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    just to put it out there: canadian knife laws are not REALLY 100% represented here. :eyeroll:

I don't know the letter of the law in Canada, but I know the experience I had at the border.

:rolleyes:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I don't know the letter of the law in Canada, but I know the experience I had at the border.

:rolleyes:

yes. but some of the nicest knife collections in the entire north american continent reside in canada. all of which include one handed opening knives. the "flick open" (enertia) test is one common even in the US..... often WRONGLY classed as "gravity opening".

and wouldn't think any american citizien who doesn't do alot of business with our northern border, hockey freak friends, to know the letter of the import laws.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I tried to carry my Becker Necker once, but the provided sheath was, IMO, too big. The whole thing kept moving back and forth and wouldn't be still. If you lean over to pick something up off the ground, the whole thing wants to slide right out of your shirt.

I also have concerns about deployment under stress in awkward positions, like on the ground or up against a wall.

What I think would work better than a "neck" knife, would be some type of 'belly band' with a sheath sewn into it, placing the tip up and handle down, on your centerline. Then you could wear it around your chest, but it would stay put in one place. Access would still be restricted somewhat by clothing, but at least the knife won't be under your right armpit once you get your hand in your shirt.

I've never seen a product like that though . . .

Top Bottom