• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I am getting one here in a few days and wonder if I should carry around the neck or on the belt. I would think neck carry would only suite you if you were dressed appropiately which my wardrobe wont make that easy. Anybody like/think neck carry is worth it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Advantages of a neck knife:
    • Knife is on centerline of body, so it's easily accessible to either hand
    • No belt is needed, or if you don't have space for it on your belt, you don't need that either

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to carry one while deployed overseas. When we were in the chemical suits there wasn't a belt for my Kabar so I carried my little neck knife. I haven't used it since I got back.

Why would you want a neck knife for daily carry? Wouldn't a regular pocket knife do anything you;d ever need done? I could see if you were out rafting, camping/hiking or something like that, but just to wearing a neck knife just because?!?! I don't think they're the best option for daily use. Just buy a little $20 swiss army knife and it'll do everything the hard core neck knife can and more.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I carry my RAT Izula all the time around my neck. I also carry my Kershaw Zing in my pocket.

I can't carry a gun to work, so my Izula is my CC weapon. One thing I plan on doing is taking knife fighting training, not just defensive.

Another thing I plan on doing is working with my brother (jeweler) to build a "man's" necklace to hang a knife from, instead of just paracord, to make it more incognito.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    KaBar B-11 (Becker Necker), it goes where I go. Less than $30, light, sharp, easy edge to sharpen, opens beer bottles. Enough said.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I carry my RAT Izula all the time around my neck. I also carry my Kershaw Zing in my pocket.

I can't carry a gun to work, so my Izula is my CC weapon. One thing I plan on doing is taking knife fighting training, not just defensive.

Another thing I plan on doing is working with my brother (jeweler) to build a "man's" necklace to hang a knife from, instead of just paracord, to make it more incognito.

Apparently I have been reading to many of JT's posts....I too have a Kershaw Zing in my pocket and a RAT Izula around my neck. The IZULA is a weapon only where as the Zing gets used for everything.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Where do you guys go that you need a knife around your neck?

If you're wearing it under your shirt (I'm assuming) how fast can you really get to it. Have you ever had to use your neck knife for defense?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN

If you're wearing it under your shirt (I'm assuming) how fast can you really get to it. Have you ever had to use your neck knife for defense?

The same questions can be asked for someone who carries a gun, flashlight, wears a seat belt, has fire extinguishers.

I have never needed a knife for defense period, I tried to avoid areas that would need one.....BUT if I need one I have one.

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    I use a neck knife when I am hunting and camping. It is easier to get to when you haven't much room to move and it is harder to lose. Also good when you are fishing and standing in running water. I sometimes worry about falling on it though. So far after four years so good. I'll see if I can get some pictures and post them.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

:dunno: where do I go that I might need a gun?

I can get to my neck knife as fast as one could get to an ankle holster.

Haven't used my gun for defense either, but still carry it.

Ya dig? :yesway:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

The same questions can be asked for someone who carries a gun, flashlight, wears a seat belt, has fire extinguishers.

I have never needed a knife for defense period, I tried to avoid areas that would need one.....BUT if I need one I have one.

ya know... if I ever convert to a 1911 guy...

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Once you need something

It is too late to start carrying the things you need after you need to have them. I get made fun of for always having a pen light (in addition to gun, leatherman, swiss army knife, etc.). It's amazing how folks at work stop making fun of my pen light when the power goes out. A neck knife sounds like a good investment.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    soooo.... how many of the defensive neck knifers have tried to access it when slammed onto your back or similiar?

i'm a big fan of having a weapon i can access with either hand. meaning i have something within my range of motion on either side of my body...... now. having that range of motion impeded is something everyone should contimplate. sorta like carrying on the right, being shot/injuried on the right, and being unable to draw your gun.

neck knives solve a few problems, and create a few new ones.... i think they are good to carry, but not to rely solely on (as with EVERYTHING).... plus... you can get some damn cool neck knives!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    also, i see alot of neck knife users just using 550 cord or similiar to sling it around their neck.... anyone know the break strength of 550 cord? use a ball chain drawn threw a piece of paracord instead....

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

I work with fat people and they're always trying to eat my stuff.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    So when some huge gorilla has you mounted and you are taking hits to the head and choking on your blood where is your neck knife?

Floating around on some string under your clothes.

TDI off center, and practice grabbing it till its automatic, just like its automatic to grab your Glock at 3 o'clock.

Thats how I feel.

Top Bottom