• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Looking to pick up the Taurus 1911 45acp stainless with the rail, five inch barrel. I have been reading good reviews on this gun but am wondering if there is any first hand experience out there shooting this or a similar Taurus 45?

TA1911SS-1.jpg

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    for the money its a great value... i am not a huge taurus fan by any stretch of the imagination, but wouldnt have anything against owning one of these....

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I bought one of the first ones from Plainfield with the express intention of breaking it. I couldn't. We really, really tried to break it. Kept getting better in fact.

I have a railed Taurus with Surefire X300 at my bedside.

I intensely dislike the lock on the hammer, but that can be fixed.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I have two brothers with PT-1911's and I just picked up a DuoTone myself. All have been 100% reliable. One of the brothers has a Springfield, a S&W 1911PD, and the Taurus - as much as he likes the other two, he prefers the Taurus.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I took mine out to the range for the first time the other day. Put 350 rounds of assorted cheap stuff through it. Shoots great, not a single problem with ball ammo. I shot a box of gold-dots through it after that and when the mag is filled (wilson's and taurus mags) to 8 rounds the first round out of the mag nose-dived everytime. Every round after that fed just fine. I dont know much about 1911's but I think it may just need a lighter recoil spring put in, or I need to find some different ammo. Otherwise, for now I'm just keeping the 8th round in the mag a ball round and the rest are JHP's.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought one of the first ones from Plainfield with the express intention of breaking it. I couldn't. We really, really tried to break it. Kept getting better in fact.

I have a railed Taurus with Surefire X300 at my bedside.

I intensely dislike the lock on the hammer, but that can be fixed.

This just makes me want one even more.

Are you talking about the key lock? How do you mean it can be fixed?

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I took mine out to the range for the first time the other day. Put 350 rounds of assorted cheap stuff through it. Shoots great, not a single problem with ball ammo. I shot a box of gold-dots through it after that and when the mag is filled (wilson's and taurus mags) to 8 rounds the first round out of the mag nose-dived everytime. Every round after that fed just fine. I dont know much about 1911's but I think it may just need a lighter recoil spring put in, or I need to find some different ammo. Otherwise, for now I'm just keeping the 8th round in the mag a ball round and the rest are JHP's.
    My new springfield does the same thing.....

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    From personal experience (stainless non-railed version) it's spectacular. (even right out of the box) The only gripe that I've heard about the railed version is holster difficulty, however now with all of the custom kydex makers that are out there, this shouldn't be too much of an issue (the Taurus rail is wider than most others)

There are two things that I am still waiting on from Taurus, first is a commander or compact version of their 1911 and second is the 9mm version which was supposed to already be out, but as soon as it hits the distributors, I'll have one on it's way.

Go for it and enjoy!!

PS.. On another note, although I love their 1911's, I have had bad experiences with two of their 24/7 9mm's and do not trust them at all. Again this is simply my experience.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    all of the pt1911s i have handled, including the one i bought, had weak safeties. the blueing was really thin on mine, and it didnt like JHPs. comfortable and easy to shoot, and very accurate though. i might pick up another one in the future.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had the same issue with Gold Dots in my PT-1911. It handled great at the range, was insanely accurate, and was very controllable. My only gripe was that I had to have the ambidextrous safety repaired after it wanted to disconnect internally and shift out of place, which from what I hear is a common issue with Taurus 1911 factory ambi safeties. The way I fixed the nose diving issue was switching to a different profile SD round. Winchester Ranger T's, and Hornady XTP's fed 100% reliable in mine.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I have 2 and love them both. The second one I got in a trade on this forum as a kind of basket case. The grip safety had been disassembled and the finish was terrible. I had the whole thing dissembled and Parkerized. Now I love it. They both are very accurate and feed well. Ball is all I have used. I will venture into getting extra mags soon, but Chip McCormick Power mags appear to be the way to go from all I have read. I would not hesitate to buy one...again.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I really want one too!! I have handled them several times at shops and gun shows and I love the way they feel. For the price they look really great. I have heard alot of good things about them and very few negatives.

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have owned Colts, Springfields, and Llamas and the Taurus is the only 1911 still here. I shoot it the best of any that I have had, and have not had the problems with JHP that others have talked about. Now that is not to say that they are for everyone but for me it is. I have found that generally the ones that bash them are the same ones that have never even handled one. Just my :twocents:

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Good for the money, but mine was a paperweight out of the box! The thumb safety fell off at an IDPA match (first one with this gun) and the hammer kept following the slide forward when loading. After about 7 weeks at Taurus I got it back. Now it's what I compete with and often carry. Picky about hollow points. Gold Dots seem to work fine in mine, others... not so much. But I have not had the ramp honed.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have the blued non railed version, and I have shot a couple of thousand rounds threw it, mostly ball, but some jhp also, with no problems so far. The gun is a great gun for the money, and is a great shooter and very accurate. The finish is somewhat thin, but I carry it. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
    Dave

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    i have a taurus 1911 in stainless.. with no rail, but i really wish mine had the rail. the gun is great, it functions flawlessly. i would definately recommend a taurus 1911.

Top Bottom