• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Try a Sig P230 232 if you can find a good one. They are small carry well are single or double action so it is save to carry it with a round in the tube and fire .380 which is a good round up close.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Okay, a P238 is pretty sweet, I must admit. The Kahr PM/CM9 is also good I hear. I wouldn't mess with the other stuff though. Unfortunately both of the above are very expensive. Probably your best bet though, if a subcompact won't do.

This is not true at all! The P238 is accurate, low recoil, and extremely reliable.
    downsized_1015131135_zpsed5f1d3c.jpg

0808131831_0001_zps4aa67d2b.jpg

USMC-FF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sig P238 & P938 are pretty sweet shooters, very accurate. I carry a P238 during the summer or in dress attire when I can't care my Sig 1911.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Ruger LC9. Recoil much lighter than the Kel Tec PF9 I dumped at a gun show last month. Also much more reliable and more accurate. Goes with me everywhere.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I really like my LC9, also like my 38sp as well. The LCP is nice but has no sights to speak of. Taurus Slim is also very nice for the money.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you knew that you'd have to use a pistol to defend your or your families life tomorrow, would you want to choose a pocket pistol?

With the right holster and belt, you can easily make a sub compact or a compact pistol disappear. And make it extremely comfortable.
    And it would be a better quality gun as well.

Just something to think about.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You might try shooting a Beretta Nano if you can put hands on one. Nearly the same size as a Kahr CM/PM9, but the extra weight makes for a great little shooter. My recoil sensitive wife who couldn't make the CM9 function (limp wristing) can't make the Nano quit and enjoys shooting it. FWIW.

Thanks for the suggestion. My buddy's wife shot my CM9 and had 2 function problems out of 6 or 8 mags. I never have problems. I thought she might have been having trouble due to limp wristing. She has a Walther .22 she loves, and is very good with, but her husband, my buddy, wants her to carry something with a little my umph. I agree. She liked the CM9, but she needs something that "works" for her.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If you knew that you'd have to use a pistol to defend your or your families life tomorrow, would you want to choose a pocket pistol?

With the right holster and belt, you can easily make a sub compact or a compact pistol disappear. And make it extremely comfortable.
    And it would be a better quality gun as well.

Just something to think about.

I have to disagree with the better quality gun, if you consider the Sig P238. There are times when a pocket gun is all you can carry, and there are times when you want a BUG. 90% of the time I carry a CM9 IWB, and you are right...easy to conceal with shorts and a t-shirt. But I don't plan on getting rid of the little Sigs.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have to disagree with the better quality gun, if you consider the Sig P238. There are times when a pocket gun is all you can carry, and there are times when you want a BUG. 90% of the time I carry a CM9 IWB, and you are right...easy to conceal with shorts and a t-shirt. But I don't plan on getting rid of the little Sigs.

Sure, Sigs and Kahrs are the better quality pocket guns. If I was to buy a pocket gun, I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

But I have yet found myself unable to carry my Glock 26, or even the M&P 9c when I had it.

As for a BUG, my way of thinking is if you're in a situation where you need a BUG, you'll wish you had something better than a pocket gun. I'd rather have a M&P shield or a Glock 26 or even a 38 special as a BUG vs a small pocket pistol.

But, that's just me.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Sure, Sigs and Kahrs are the better quality pocket guns. If I was to buy a pocket gun, I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

But I have yet found myself unable to carry my Glock 26, or even the M&P 9c when I had it.

As for a BUG, my way of thinking is if you're in a situation where you need a BUG, you'll wish you had something better than a pocket gun. I'd rather have a M&P shield or a Glock 26 or even a 38 special as a BUG vs a small pocket pistol.

But, that's just me.

Yep. It's great that we have so many choices, and we get to decide for ourselves.:):

bruno1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    in the middle
    I like a pocket pistol. Sure I have 1911's, glocks, m&p, some others but I carry a pistol in my pocket 99% of the time. I haven't shot my sig 938 yet but carry a colt mustang, ppk, 38 snubby, little 25 acp's, but most of the time (right now) a light little keltec p3at with the snazzy little belt clip. Probably the most uncool one I have but I'm able to carry it everywhere without a holster. I don't mind the finish wearing on it. Although the finish is holding up nicely. Hopefully I never have to use it in a self defense situation, but if I do I'm sure I will lose it for awhile. No huge loss. A couple hundred bucks, no sentimental value. Just a little tool in my pocket.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have to agree with the lovemachine about carrying a more capable gun. Of course there are times when a person just doesn't want to carry a gun and this is where the "pocket gun" fits in my lifestyle. I have owned and shot a lot of these over the years. I tend to sell them off and then always end up with another.

My choice is the centennial model Smith revolvers. It is just not possible to find a better overall balance of size and power. What I am comparing are actual "pocket guns".

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I bought my XD-s .45 to pocket carry in case somebody made a grab for my exposed G23 or 30. Since I only shot a couple mags through it before sending it back in the recall I don't remember how it fit in my front left pocket. The idea was that I could pull it and stick it in somebody's gut if I was clamping their hand down on my primary with my right hand. That's still the idea until it proves impractical. A 230 grain Gold Dot to the hip or crotch at 1' - Yeowey!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Some of you guys have pretty big pockets.

The LCR is the only basically pocketable pistol I still own.

As far as accuracy:

4cb4f61d-c4d6-4de3-b781-1eb65cd0cec8_zpse0a6f868.jpg

Snubbies are not beginner guns. They require a lot of practice, and since many of them are fairly punishing to shoot not many folks will put the range time in behind one to acquire that practice. There is nothing inherently inaccurate about these guns, but there are several factors that make them difficult to shoot. Short sight radius means a small sight misalignment will move the point of impact a lot more than a longer sight radius, snubbies tend to have heavy triggers (although the LCR is an exception with a cammed trigger that feels a lot lighter), and lots of pocket pistols of all varieties have low contrast and shallow sights.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Some of you guys have pretty big pockets.

I don't pocket carry. The only thing that I keep in my pockets is a knife, flashlight, and keys.

Nothing else goes in them. I like to keep a little room to play pocket pool.

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    I was in the same boat, I have been shooting for almost 30 yrs and have carried many different guns. For the last couple yrs I found myself always having my NAA Pug 22mag on me and leaving my 1911 or Glocks in the truck or safe. I wanted a gun that I will always have on me and a little bigger than the .22 mag. So I went to a couple local GS yesterday. I came home with a new Colt Mustang XSP .380. I took it out and ran 200 rds through it today. I love this little gun. I shoot it very well. I know a lot of guys look down there nose at the .380's and I was one of them. I am learning its more about shot placement than size of the bullet. Buy a good quality gun that fits your grip and the carry position. And don't just go out and shoot it, but train with the gun.

Sierra74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Northside of Indy
    I have the LCP and a Kel-tec P3AT. For a pocket pistol, I prefer the Kel-tec. It's not the best quality, but I've never had a malfunction. I've had several malfunctions with the LCP. Both are for close quarters last resort. Most of the time, I carry the pocket pistol along with the Glock.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I agree that the 238/938 are very solid guns. The issue with pocket carry is that carrying cocked and locked as these are designed to do leaves a very snag prone hammer hanging out there. That's why I ended up selling my 238. Loved the gun but didn't trust that I could clear the pocket 100% of the time. A pocket gun isn't good for much if you are not confident that you can bring it into action on short notice every single time.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I've carried my LCP in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike's holster since 2010. It's great concealable protection and has fired flawlessly. I also carry an extra magazine in the opposite pocket for a total of 13 rounds. It's so comfortable I often forget it's even there.

Top Bottom