• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Looking to purchase a pocket pistol. Looking at the LC9, LCP, or a Taurus or Smith .38 spl +P. Any suggestions? Thanks!

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have carried many SW 38 snubs and love them. LC9 is a nice pistol. Never shot one ,but tried a LC 380-same size- Better trigger than I heard. I have had bad luck with Taurus. Good luck

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Before you get all hung up on ease of carry you want to consider how easy they are to shoot and hit. I have tried most of the ones mentioned and would pass.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    So long as you fully understand that a pocket pistol will be not be accurate, and difficult/painful to shoot, then proceed. Many people, including me, decide to sell once they've shot their pocket pistol exactly once. I just think the whole concept is flawed, since you can have a full powered, pleasant shooting, and accurate pistol that holds twice as many rounds, for just a little more space and weight.

I highly recommend a sub compact model like M&P9C, or Glock26 instead of a pocket gun.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Airweight Smith & Wesson like a 442 with no hammer! (or concealed hammer). Keep a primary CCW, and start using it as a Back Up Gun. LCPs are great also, but in my med size grip: too small. Snubbies are great coat pocket guns and this is the season. Other semi autos work, but you need a dependable, proven model.
    I also have had on/off luck with Taurus, except their 92 series 9mm, or 100 series 40 cal. Those are huge compared to the S&W.
    Rent a couple at a local range, see for yourself what will work.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    So long as you fully understand that a pocket pistol will be not be accurate, and difficult/painful to shoot, then proceed. Many people, including me, decide to sell once they've shot their pocket pistol exactly once. I just think the whole concept is flawed, since you can have a full powered, pleasant shooting, and accurate pistol that holds twice as many rounds, for just a little more space and weight.

I highly recommend a sub compact model like M&P9C, or Glock26 instead of a pocket gun.
    I agree been through most of the ones listed ended up selling them and made it back to the glock 26. I know I can trust it and its not a pain to shoot.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've been down this road, too. I agree with those who say to choose a gun based upon how it shoots much more than upon how it carries. I've owned numerous "pocket pistols", but I don't own any at the moment and I think I'm done with them.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    My wife and I both carry a non-laser LCP. Over 250 rounds thru each of them with zero malfunctions. Are they a fun to shoot "range" gun? No. Can you put the 7 rounds they carry into a human sized target at common "self defense" distances? Easily. Can you carry them with ease in nearly any situation? Absolutely.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Shooting a pocket pistol one time and making a decision about keeping it or not isn't fair. Any pocket pistol will take practice with it to be any good. That's goes with any sized pistol. Dry fire practice is more important than live fire practice and will make all the difference in the world with the small guns.
    These guns are not designed to be fun day at the range guns. They are intended to protect your life.

Who cares if they hurt to shoot. In a self defense situation, you will not remember the recoil. It takes time and practice, just like ANY gun, to get competent with them. Again, dry fire practice is your friend. Take it to the range once in a while and shoot 2-3 mags through it to stay proficient.

I my wife and I both have had LCP's with a CT laser for 2 yrs. They work great for us. I have over 1100 rnds through mine. I no longer notice the recoil or the long trigger.
    The Bodyguard is fine, but don't plan on the laser being worth a hoot. Too hard to activate in a stressful situation. The CT on the other hand turns on with a proper grip on the gun.

I recommend the LCP with a CT. Disappears in a pocket very easily with a pocket holster such as the Desantis.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My son purchased a Ruger LCP .380. We put a couple hundred rounds through it. Inaccurate. Uncomfortable. Touchy. Just did not like. Sold it and bought a Taurus TCP, also in .380.

Had some trouble with the TCT. It was a B model, and there were problems with it from the factory. Sent it back to the factory and it came back with the same problems, FTF and FTE. An :ingo:er worked on it for me after I bought it from the kid when he left for Marine OCC. After some adjustments, the TCP works great. Accurate. Fires first time very time. Does everything I want it to do.

Later models, the C and D models have corrected the problems. Try the TCP. You will enjoy it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

This is not true at all! The P238 is accurate, low recoil, and extremely reliable.
    downsized_1015131135_zpsed5f1d3c.jpg

0808131831_0001_zps4aa67d2b.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I had the Kel-tech, LCP and TCP. None extremely pleasant to shoot, but all were accurate. Maybe not as accurate as my Hi-Power, but I could hold tight groups with all of them. I have sold them all, because the P238 way surpasses the 3.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I second the Kahr CM9/PM9 I went from a Glock 26 to it and I'm very happy with the size and print of the Kahr.

Great pistol! I consider it a little large for pocket carry, although it does find it's way into the pocket. I prefer to carry it IWB.

0701131133a_0001_zps25aa60dc.jpg

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    You might try shooting a Beretta Nano if you can put hands on one. Nearly the same size as a Kahr CM/PM9, but the extra weight makes for a great little shooter. My recoil sensitive wife who couldn't make the CM9 function (limp wristing) can't make the Nano quit and enjoys shooting it. FWIW.

Top Bottom