Any reason to not buy a Springfield Loaded 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For years I've kicked around the idea of a parkerized Springfield Loaded 1911. I remember back when they could be found for under $700 new and I remember thinking that it was too much $$ at the time. If only I knew then.... I'd have bought one. Part of my lust for one of these pistols is that my first handgun was a colt 1911 and I no longer have it.

In looking for a 1911 I've looked at a lot of different brands out there in the $800 and down range, and I seem to always come back to the springfield loaded because it's got everything I'd want to put on a 1911 and nothing that I wouldn't put on one.

I've come close to buying a rock river and similar guns on more than one occation, and I think they'd be fine for a range gun but here lately I've been leaning towards buying equipment that's meant for more serious use. I'll be completely honest though, the 1911 won't be my go to gun if SHTF, but that doesn't mean that I want to buy a taurus and hope they honor their warranty. I don't want to buy a 1911 and have to use the warranty. I'm not going to try and baby the gun, and I won't mind at all if I get some scratches on it. I'm looking for a 1911 to really put some rounds through and have it still asking for more.

After all that long winded explanation, is there any reason why I shouldn't buy a parkerized Springfield Loaded??

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Springfield Armory makes some great 1911s. I have a "Loaded". If I were going to buy a nice 1911 these days, I'd probably get the SA Range Officer.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Springfield Loaded 1911's are great pistols. The only thing I would suggest if you buy one...replace the two piece guide rod for a standard GI plug. The two piece rod on mine kept coming loose while shooting no matter how tightly i screwed it on.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    001_zps72ead4c4.jpg

Springfield Loaded from ~10 yds, three 8rnd mags.

Its up to almost 1k rnds now with only 1 mag related FTFeed. It eats everything Ive fed if and is much more acurate than I am.

I bought mine for ~850.00 before tax from Bradis. I think it was money well spent.

Get one youll be glad you did.

REvans3608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Funny you should ask,
    2 years ago my son wanted a 1911. He had worked hard and saved his $$. He decided on a Rock Island as that is what he could afford. I told him his birthday present from me would be the difference between the Rock Island and the Springfield Mil Spec. He was thrilled!! Earlier this summer he had the opportunity to shoot with a friend that carries a Rock Island. He sent me a text that night thanking for making sure he got a quality firearm as he was completely unimpressed (not his exact words but I needed to clean it up). Springfield is a quality firearm and you will enjoy it for a lifetime. Short answer, No. I would buy a Springfield 1911 over and over again.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Springfield Loaded 1911's are great pistols. The only thing I would suggest if you buy one...replace the two piece guide rod for a standard GI plug. The two piece rod on mine kept coming loose while shooting no matter how tightly i screwed it on.
    The extended guide rod is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. It does add a little weight, but that's all.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Funny you should ask,
    2 years ago my son wanted a 1911. He had worked hard and saved his $$. He decided on a Rock Island as that is what he could afford. I told him his birthday present from me would be the difference between the Rock Island and the Springfield Mil Spec. He was thrilled!! Earlier this summer he had the opportunity to shoot with a friend that carries a Rock Island. He sent me a text that night thanking for making sure he got a quality firearm as he was completely unimpressed (not his exact words but I needed to clean it up). Springfield is a quality firearm and you will enjoy it for a lifetime. Short answer, No. I would buy a Springfield 1911 over and over again.

Ditto, some RI's are no more than good doorstops. :ingo:

mhale3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    There is not good reason not to buy a Springfield Loaded 1911. I have several friends who own Springfields and they love them, and I enjoy shooting them also. Just have not got around to buying one for my own collection. Maybe time to get that done.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    well, you will not get a gun that you will want to fiddle around with the trigger pull, grind the sear, change sights.... and so on..
    you will get a boring gun that works well right out of box..
    If you want something to tinker with, don't spend the $ on this gun..

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I seem to be one of the few folks that had trouble with their Springfield Loaded. I had more FTE's on the first 150 rounds than I was comfortable with, so back to Springfield it went. I will say that Springfield Customer Service is outstanding. Not only did they take care of the issues, they even took out an idiot mark I put on the gun without me even asking (it was my first 1911). Now mine runs like a champ! The only thing negative I could say about mine is that it's tight and hard to get back together, but that point is easily ignored when something shoots so well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I seem to be one of the few folks that had trouble with their Springfield Loaded. I had more FTE's on the first 150 rounds than I was comfortable with, so back to Springfield it went. I will say that Springfield Customer Service is outstanding. Not only did they take care of the issues, they even took out an idiot mark I put on the gun without me even asking (it was my first 1911). Now mine runs like a champ! The only thing negative I could say about mine is that it's tight and hard to get back together, but that point is easily ignored when something shoots so well.

All my Springers are tight....That is why they shoot so well...........:D

Top Bottom