• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm just getting started on a 1987 XJ Wagoneer. It's in decent shape for a 28 year old.

I haven't been a car guy before, so I really have no idea what I am doing, but it sounds fun, so I'm going to give it a try. I have the factory service manual and access to YouTube, and it's not a daily driver, so I hope to have fun along the way.

Once you start digging into it your going to find Jeeps are a lot like legos, you can mix and match all kinds of parts. It can be a lot of fun to design out and progress on a build like that. My front axle is out of an 84 XJ, front springs out of a 96 v8, entire steering setup and tie rod linkage is out of a 93 Grand Cherokee, rear axles out of a Ford Explorer, Intake is out of a ford windstar, fuel injectors are out of a liberty.... the list goes on and on lol Its been an interesting project for sure.

Do you know what motor and tranny you have? I have a bunch of 80's YJ transmission parts, internal slave, bell housing for an AX15, stuff like that. I will also have a rear D35 sporting 3.55 gears, if you are looking for a rear axle, although mine is coil and I'm sure you are leaf. Let me know if you need anything (assuming your close enough to count)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Do you know what motor and tranny you have? I have a bunch of 80's YJ transmission parts, internal slave, bell housing for an AX15, stuff like that. I will also have a rear D35 sporting 3.55 gears, if you are looking for a rear axle, although mine is coil and I'm sure you are leaf. Let me know if you need anything (assuming your close enough to count)

I'm down in Rushville (straight down IN-3), but I pass through your way six or eight times per year on my way to my in-laws' home in Michigan. Thank you for the offer. I think I'm going to need advice way more than parts, though. I'm a pretty good DIY electrician, plumber, and carpenter, but mechanics haven't ever been a strong suit for me.

It has the 4.0 straight six with ~175k on it. I'm not sure on the transmission yet, but it's an auto (I know... but the price was right). Part time 4x4, shifts on the floor.

I really am just getting started. I bought it in early June, but I've been working 90 - 105 hours per week since then, so all I've done is change the oil and replace the lift struts on the back hatch. I still don't even have a rearview mirror mounted. My schedule lightens up significantly beginning this week, so I will be starting on it soon.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I finally got around to raptorlining my tub, it turned out great.

e9t56e.jpg

153bhht.jpg

opvig9.jpg

vngz7c.jpg

bjdgu8.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been told that even with a bedlined tub, it still gets quite noisy and you can feel the heat even more so. A lot of guys end up putting carpet back in, over on top of the bedliner.

obidya

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    yeah i would still run carpet, at least like directly on the floor, but it would be nice to have the extra protection against water.

I run like this most of the summer, if I know a storm is going to be intense I will throw on the full doors.
    20150506_194230.jpg

Its dryer than you would think, even through thunderstorms but if I'm driving some water gets in through the huge gaps.

This way i can throw the side and back windows up inside the top, and store the tube door uppers behind the back seat and be mostly open, and still be able to close up if I need to.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm not worried about the heat or the noise, that's what the new head unit and speakers are for! I'll put my rubber mats back in it but no carpet. I just wanted it to be able to get wet/ hose out easy. That and I had to fix some rust in the floorboards. It's probably the best DIY kit out there, can't really beat it for $120. I've done some truck beds with it before. I would have liked to get it LineX'ed but they wanted $800 after I had already disassembled and sanded the interior.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Finally getting pics up. Picked up a 10 JKU recently. Put a 2" teraflex leveling lift on over the weekend and really like how it turned out. Biggest issue is with death wobble. I've had multiple lifted jeeps overt the years and never had any DW issues until I got a JK. Othe than that and needing a soft top, I love it!

bluejk.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Finally getting pics up. Picked up a 10 JKU recently. Put a 2" teraflex leveling lift on over the weekend and really like how it turned out. Biggest issue is with death wobble. I've had multiple lifted jeeps overt the years and never had any DW issues until I got a JK. Othe than that and needing a soft top, I love it!

Nice looking Jeep!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Nice looking Jeep!

thanks!! Love the color! matches my SRT8 challenger ;)

Clay, did you get rid of your XJ then? Maybe you did a long time ago.

Nope, daily drove it up until I got this jeep. Not sure if I'll get rid of it or not, maybe trail rig? ;) I still think the XJ is one of the best factory platforms to build a trail buggy. Coils in front, leafs in the rear, narrow body, but long to help climb.

As for the JK, I did the DW suspension check today and it looks like I need to basically replace everything. All 4 ball joints, both tie rod ends, and both drag link ends. Yay! Amazingly the track bar appears to be OK.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My wife's been itching for a Wrangler Unlimited, just took a nice Anvil Gray '15 Sport for a spin last night. If the numbers look good she'll be driving one by the weekend. This is the first time she's ever been really excited about a vehicle, I'm all for it. :spend:

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I just crossed 95k miles with mine and I've had it since October '07, and I still feel it is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. The old 3.8 engine has been an oil eater since 40k miles, consuming just under a quart every 1k. Something strange is happening right now, though. The last 1350 miles, it has not consumed a drop of oil, and the gas mileage has improved by about 1.5 mpg. This may be the first self-healing vehicle I've ever had! Anyway, it is running good as new, and I couldn't be happier. You are right, though, a Jeep has gravitational pull on a bank account!

Yep. I used to run a lube shop. I can tell you that those 3.8's are probably in the top 5 engines for oil consumption.... BUT, they run. I've seen plenty come in that have barely a trickle when the plug is pulled, but still ran well!

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Saw more news on the Jeep Gladiator concept vehicle pop up the other day. Looks like this might be real!
    Jeep - Gladiator Concept
    gladiator_main.jpg

Already warned my wife that I WILL be getting one! Especially if they ship with the little diesel and 5-speed manual. Just too flipping cool!

I definitely like it. Too bad I can't justify getting it after I just got the Wrangler. :( This would be really cool in an "Unlimited" version though....

2015-jeep-gladiator-3.gif

Last edited:
    Top Bottom