• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I have a wannabe Jeep. 98 GC Laredo. One day I'll be able to afford what I really want. For now though, I'll enjoy the Laredo and my 4WD that works very, very well.

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    I have a wannabe Jeep. 98 GC Laredo. One day I'll be able to afford what I really want. For now though, I'll enjoy the Laredo and my 4WD that works very, very well.

the badge says jeep the title says jeep its a real jeep. what are you waiting to afford? (assuming a wrangler) look at the hard facts about your jeep, you have coil springs on all 4 corners that's a plus. 4.0 (bonus points if ya got a 5.9) is a plus. solid axle's,plus. having the bit longer wheelbase is a plus. the best part is seating 4 full sized adults while wheeling is actually comfortable.

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    the badge says jeep the title says jeep its a real jeep. what are you waiting to afford? (assuming a wrangler) look at the hard facts about your jeep, you have coil springs on all 4 corners that's a plus. 4.0 (bonus points if ya got a 5.9) is a plus. solid axle's,plus. having the bit longer wheelbase is a plus. the best part is seating 4 full sized adults while wheeling is actually comfortable.

Oh I love my truck, it's a great daily driver than I can take into some moderate off roading. Some people I know like to say a real jeep is only a wrangler and might admit the base cherokee. I'd love to have another old crawler though. I had a CJ-5 a long time ago and just did a lot of stupidly fun stuff with it.

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

x2. Plus you are warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, don't get nervous doing >65 mph, don't have to worry about rain on the inside of your windshield :D

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    x2. Plus you are warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, don't get nervous doing >65 mph, don't have to worry about rain on the inside of your windshield :D

I wish it was cooler in the summer. The AC hasn't worked since I bought it.

The truck has a few problems: No AC, passenger window broken, rear wiper doesn't work, the rear hatch lock no longer disengages fully, and the sunroof motor is borked. The engine/transmission run well and it gets me from point A to B, C, and D just fine though. I'd like to fix some of the issues, but being a part time worker, full time student just doesn't lend itself to a lot of extra cash to fix the (what I consider) cosmetic problems.

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I no longer own a Jeep, but I'm still a Jeeper at heart.
    In fact, I may have already met some of you. My wife and I were members of IFWDA and made lots of trips to Attica, Wilstem, 4xKids Day, etc...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had 3 CJ's and 2 XJ's. Currently have a ZJ and WJ.
    I have no problems owning/ running a 4 door grocery getter.
    Seats comfy, 4 coils helps with a bad back, heater is a cooker, AC..............well that died and I just yanked it. Tired 5.2 still gets up and goes, but makes a cloud now and then :)

I run the ZJ, the lil woman runs the other.

When hers got hit she borrowd mine...........watching your lifted Jeep go down the road, when you aren't in it, is friggin' weird LOL.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Steering box area is a bolt on plate with spacer for inside. C Rok was the one I used-simple bolt up.

http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html

The stiffeners that go from C arm to rear spring eye, overall chassis stiffen, I never did.

Never did fly my Jeeps, so wasn't worried about beefing it up there.

An XJ isn't a tank, you'll break enough other stuff ;)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I know eventually I want to box in the subframe and add a cage to stiffen it up, but I've been reading the steering box area is a weak spot on the xj's especially with bigger tires. So logic tells me that I should consider making that area stronger...

Speaking of steering...I've been hearing a loud clunking sound when I turn the steering wheel left, any likely cause?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know eventually I want to box in the subframe and add a cage to stiffen it up, but I've been reading the steering box area is a weak spot on the xj's especially with bigger tires. So logic tells me that I should consider making that area stronger...

Speaking of steering...I've been hearing a loud clunking sound when I turn the steering wheel left, any likely cause?

Box in????

Maybe I'm way off base. I thought "boxing in" was what they did to the old '76 and older CJ Jeeps with C channel frames.

You might add stuff to stiffen an XJ frame, but it is already boxed in (by my understanding/view).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You wheel it moderate without a steering box brace with 31's and expect it to crack- a bunch.

I had R Robbins repair mine, added the plate. Jeep died a yr or two later after some good thrashing, yanked the plate for my other XJ.........repairs looked like the day they were made :)

I slammed that XJ for a few yrs and out of curiosity (and repaint of plate) pulled it. Frame looked fine.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

The clunking sound is because your stereo volume goes to 10 and not 11 ;)

Could be anything: ball joint, tie rod, trac bar loose at either end (or bracket), steering box, tire hitting C arm/fender, sway bar link......maybe even something else.

Wheel it and expect to have a symphony of clunks and squeaks eventually.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Box in????

Maybe I'm way off base. I thought "boxing in" was what they did to the old '76 and older CJ Jeeps with C channel frames.

You might add stuff to stiffen an XJ frame, but it is already boxed in (by my understanding/view).

it's my finding xj'ers add L shaped steel or even c shaped steel to stiffen it up...some go with adding plates only.

You wheel it moderate without a steering box brace with 31's and expect it to crack- a bunch.

I had R Robbins repair mine, added the plate. Jeep died a yr or two later after some good thrashing, yanked the plate for my other XJ.........repairs looked like the day they were made :)

I slammed that XJ for a few yrs and out of curiosity (and repaint of plate) pulled it. Frame looked fine.

I really do not want that to crack, but how easy was it to add that plate to the steering box area? have to remove a lot of things?

The clunking sound is because your stereo volume goes to 10 and not 11 ;)

Could be anything: ball joint, tie rod, trac bar loose at either end (or bracket), steering box, tire hitting C arm/fender, sway bar link......maybe even something else.

Wheel it and expect to have a symphony of clunks and squeaks eventually.

My jeep is missing a few speakers, can't be that...

I have the tie rod that connects to my pitnam arm bad, it causes a clunking sound when I move it one way or another at the bad part.

That sounds like my problem...although I should check everything.

Top Bottom