• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Just bought a 1998 cherokee...pretty decently nice however one small issue I need to figure out...

Rough idle, misfiring for sure but no CEL. Any ideas? Plug wire and distro cap are reportedly new, and plug wires are in proper order I do believe...

Constant misfire, or does it go away after running for a little while?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just bought a 1998 cherokee...pretty decently nice however one small issue I need to figure out...

Rough idle, misfiring for sure but no CEL. Any ideas? Plug wire and distro cap are reportedly new, and plug wires are in proper order I do believe...

Could be anything at this point. Mine TJ had a misfire due to worn spark plugs.

Whenever I buy a "new" vehicle, I just do all the normal maintenance. Plugs, wires, filters, etc.... At least I know all is well from that point, and can then diagnose any other issues.

BTW: dirty TPS, IAC, and vacuum leaks tend to be common issues on the 4.0L engine. All easy to diagnose and fix.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Could be anything at this point. Mine TJ had a misfire due to worn spark plugs.

Whenever I buy a "new" vehicle, I just do all the normal maintenance. Plugs, wires, filters, etc.... At least I know all is well from that point, and can then diagnose any other issues.

BTW: dirty TPS, IAC, and vacuum leaks tend to be common issues on the 4.0L engine. All easy to diagnose and fix.

I'm gonna clean the iac and throttle body soon, the guy who I bought it from never said they replaced spark plugs, so I'm suspecting plugs at the moment

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm gonna clean the iac and throttle body soon, the guy who I bought it from never said they replaced spark plugs, so I'm suspecting plugs at the moment

NEVER replaced the plugs? At 50K miles, the gap on mine was almost DOUBLE the spec. If yours are original, I'm guessing they are shot.

People just don't do regular maintenance any longer. :rolleyes: I wonder what else is original from 1998?

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    NEVER replaced the plugs? At 50K miles, the gap on mine was almost DOUBLE the spec. If yours are original, I'm guessing they are shot.

People just don't do regular maintenance any longer. :rolleyes: I wonder what else is original from 1998?

Pinot sure at the moment...new headliner though

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    So other than the miss your pretty happy with it?

come check out the N (naxja.org) and we get you ready to wheel it. our main event is in march at the badlands there will be 2 really good dudes leading the green trails, and they take it easy on the stockers.

Last years turn out

DSC05833.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So other than the miss your pretty happy with it?

come check out the N (naxja.org) and we get you ready to wheel it. our main event is in march at the badlands there will be 2 really good dudes leading the green trails, and they take it easy on the stockers.

Last years turn out

Yes I am...although I'm wanting to paint it olive drab, not digging the sparkly blue that came on it(shoddy paint job, mismatched and nowhere near glossy). naxja.org is the XJ forum? I'm curious on the march event, providing I don't have other plans...

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    Also rewster, my registration was denied...I guess I'm not wanted over there.

Hmm i don't think they have been having any troubles. you filled everything out right?
    just did a tester and there is that security question thingy and a registration requirement thing.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Hmm i don't think they have been having any troubles. you filled everything out right?
    just did a tester and there is that security question thingy and a registration requirement thing.

I must have misunderstood it...I'll try again later after work

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    anybody know what size speakers comes on the 98 cherokee with a sound bar? my jeep seems to come without speakers except for annoying tweaters

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    5.25" is the stock size in all four speakers. In the back, you can put 6.5" in the back with the stock speaker grates (have to drill new holes for the speakers though). The drivers door speaker not working is pretty common as the wires get worn and break.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    5.25" is the stock size in all four speakers. In the back, you can put 6.5" in the back with the stock speaker grates (have to drill new holes for the speakers though). The drivers door speaker not working is pretty common as the wires get worn and break.

Sounds good...thank you

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom