• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I think it would be pretty obvious if the frame had TOO much rust. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's a pre 2000 jeep.

As for models, rubicon would be the better choice. But you'd save money by getting a sport, just make sure it has the Dana 44 rear axle.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I think it would be pretty obvious if the frame had TOO much rust. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's a pre 2000 jeep.

As for models, rubicon would be the better choice. But you'd save money by getting a sport, just make sure it has the Dana 44 rear axle.

Thanks I appreciate the reply. Yea, from what I have been reading I just have seen an awful lot of information about the frames rusting. So I wanted a better idea of specific areas that need checking. But if a 2000 and newer are about the same as any other car on the road then I can check that kind of thing out.

So looking at some specs for the Rubicon I assume that things like this are the reason the Rubicon might be a better choice? - 4 wheel disc brakes, Dana 44 front axle, heavy duty drive shaft,pneumatic lockers, etc.

Just trying to get a feel of the reasons for that model over the others for my own knowledge base.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks I appreciate the reply. Yea, from what I have been reading I just have seen an awful lot of information about the frames rusting. So I wanted a better idea of specific areas that need checking. But if a 2000 and newer are about the same as any other car on the road then I can check that kind of thing out.

So looking at some specs for the Rubicon I assume that things like this are the reason the Rubicon might be a better choice? - 4 wheel disc brakes, Dana 44 front axle, heavy duty drive shaft,pneumatic lockers, etc.

Just trying to get a feel of the reasons for that model over the others for my own knowledge base.

Pretty much. With a rubicon, you'll have something better to work with if you ever wanted to lift it and get more dangerous.

Now, for towing, a TJ LJ would be even better. That's the TJ Unlimited, and would be harder to find one. I believe that's a 2006.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I haven't owned a TJ but I wasn't aware they had rust issues. Older Jeeps certainly do, though. As for the Rubicon package, what is the price difference? There are some advantages, but if you never really take it off road you won't really use the upgrades. I bet 99% of Rubi owners have never turned their lockers on.

(This message is for mainjet. Lovemachine still needs lockers regardless of the use. :D )

Last edited:

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    For this intended uses, the hardest of which being pulling a small boat, I'd say that he would want a non-Rubicon with a D44 rear. Rubicons, from what I've seen, have been going on the used market for around double what non-Rubi Jeeps go for. Actually, a friend of mine sold his Rubi TJ because he had D60/D70 axles to go under a Jeep, but didn't want to waste his investment on the Rubi. So, he sold the Rubi for somewhere around $10k and got another non-Rubi TJ for around $5k, IIRC.

Mike

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't owned a TJ but I wasn't aware they had rust issues. Older Jeeps certainly do, though. As for the Rubicon package, what is the price difference? There are some advantages, but if you never really take it off road you won't really use the upgrades. I bet 99% of Rubi owners have never turned their lockers on.

(This message is for mainjet. Lovemachine still needs lockers regardless of the use. :D )

LOL. Well, I'm actually thinking of going that route now. After driving around at the badlands, I think I need a locker now.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    For this intended uses, the hardest of which being pulling a small boat, I'd say that he would want a non-Rubicon with a D44 rear. Rubicons, from what I've seen, have been going on the used market for around double what non-Rubi Jeeps go for. Actually, a friend of mine sold his Rubi TJ because he had D60/D70 axles to go under a Jeep, but didn't want to waste his investment on the Rubi. So, he sold the Rubi for somewhere around $10k and got another non-Rubi TJ for around $5k, IIRC.

Mike

I knew there was a big difference, but I didn't realize it was that big. If the cost difference is double I agree with this poster. Heck, you can buy the same rear locker from a Rubi and install it for $600 (I hear). I think the Rubicons had different transmissions, but other than that and the axles, what's the difference?

Edit: Never mind. I see it also has lower T-case gears, lower axle ratios, disconnecting sway bars, etc. So there would definitely be some differences off road. But on a fire road and pulling a boat, you won't notice. (Except that low axle ratio might be handy.)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Trying to talk me out of it now? Lol

Not at all. I am encouraging you to buy them. Bring them over and I'll help you get them in the axles.

I only asked because you seem to have been strongly influenced by one trip to Attica where you didn't really even get on any trails. So it made me wonder what the body of wheeling experience looks like which you are using to make your decisions.

Have you had it out on the trails enough as is to know how it really works now? (Did you air down your tires? Disconnect sway bars?) Just curious if you've run in to situations where a locker would help or if its mostly just a thing you'd like to have? (Either way, I will stick with the go ahead and get them argument. :) )

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I would not be doing any off-roading as in Attica style trails. My use would mostly be like most people with Jeeps - driving around with the top down and the doors off with groceries in the back. But I will be on some "narrow" sandy roads that can get rutted up after a lot of rain or in the winter with snow and snow ruts.

Probably most any SUV would do what I want this vehicle for when it comes to "off-roading". I have a 2013 Explorer that does great in this stuff but I just don't love when the trails start narrowing and starting to scratch up my everyday vehicle. I like the narrowness of the jeep, the relative short length and the nimbleness of the vehicle. The rest of the vehicle would just be for the fun of putting the top down/doors off and doing some back road sight seeing. So I never really see myself doing major mods or big lifts to the jeep. I want it to start everytime, run and drive well, be capable in the trails I have described and be in pretty nice condition aesthetically.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I would not be doing any off-roading as in Attica style trails. My use would mostly be like most people with Jeeps - driving around with the top down and the doors off with groceries in the back. But I will be on some "narrow" sandy roads that can get rutted up after a lot of rain or in the winter with snow and snow ruts.

Probably most any SUV would do what I want this vehicle for when it comes to "off-roading". I have a 2013 Explorer that does great in this stuff but I just don't love when the trails start narrowing and starting to scratch up my everyday vehicle. I like the narrowness of the jeep, the relative short length and the nimbleness of the vehicle. The rest of the vehicle would just be for the fun of putting the top down/doors off and doing some back road sight seeing. So I never really see myself doing major mods or big lifts to the jeep. I want it to start everytime, run and drive well, be capable in the trails I have described and be in pretty nice condition aesthetically.

Any later model Jeep will do everything you described. There are some year splits where they changed engines and drive train components, but in the years you describe (2000ish) they are all pretty much the same. Get one that appears to be in the best condition and fits your budget and go have fun.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Any later model Jeep will do everything you described. There are some year splits where they changed engines and drive train components, but in the years you describe (2000ish) they are all pretty much the same. Get one that appears to be in the best condition and fits your budget and go have fun.

so do they all handle about the same with a full load of groceries in the back and an ice cream cone in one hand? lol

I figured I don't need a super Jeep but I didn't want to find out that I got a 4 cylinder only to find out later that it get stuck if it bumped up against a snake on on the trail. I also wanted to find out what years or particular models to avoid in the case that - "oh that year and model has a bad frame and always breaks and no parts are available".

I appreciate the input from you guys that know jeeps.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    so do they all handle about the same with a full load of groceries in the back and an ice cream cone in one hand? lol

I figured I don't need a super Jeep but I didn't want to find out that I got a 4 cylinder only to find out later that it get stuck if it bumped up against a snake on on the trail. I also wanted to find out what years or particular models to avoid in the case that - "oh that year and model has a bad frame and always breaks and no parts are available".

I appreciate the input from you guys that know jeeps.

For full disclosure, I've never even driven a TJ. All of my Jeep experience is with 30 year old and older Jeeps. Even a 4cyl jeep would do what you want. It might not pull that boat as well, though. On the trail they seem to do fine I'd they stay within their depth and are built right on the bottom.

The significant year breaks are 95/96 when they went from YJ to TJ (leafs to coils, square headlights to round, etc) and then 06 to 07 when they went to the JK. I believe the only 6 cyl option in the TJ's was the 4.0l straight 6 engine. If you read back in the thread some guys will point out a particular head stamp series to avoid. I'll look for that later. I don't have the details.

The differences in axles, transmissions, tcasecases, etc won't make a difference to you. At least that's my opinion.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/190783-any-jeepers-here-210.html#post4843498

The link above goes to another post in this thread, with a link to another forum discussing the possible head cracking issue. However, there is a metric buttload of these things on the road. I've got a 99 XJ with 140k miles on it and no issues. I have seen plenty of others at 200k+. So I don't know that it's really something to worry about. You can read up on it though and see what you think.

If you search the interwebs for "Jeep 0331 head" you will find plenty of stuff.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For full disclosure, I've never even driven a TJ. All of my Jeep experience is with 30 year old and older Jeeps. Even a 4cyl jeep would do what you want. It might not pull that boat as well, though. On the trail they seem to do fine I'd they stay within their depth and are built right on the bottom.

The significant year breaks are 95/96 when they went from YJ to TJ (leafs to coils, square headlights to round, etc) and then 06 to 07 when they went to the JK. I believe the only 6 cyl option in the TJ's was the 4.0l straight 6 engine. If you read back in the thread some guys will point out a particular head stamp series to avoid. I'll look for that later. I don't have the details.

The differences in axles, transmissions, tcasecases, etc won't make a difference to you. At least that's my opinion.

Just an FYI. TJ>JK>YJ>CJ :)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Just an FYI. TJ>JK>YJ>CJ :)

Aye, in many ways this is probably true. Soft riding coil springs, reliable and efficient fuel injection, cushy plastic surroundings, and plenty of cup holders. A Jeep comfortable enough for a lady to drive daily. It takes a real man who can change his own gears to drive a CJ. ;-)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Aye, in many ways this is probably true. Soft riding coil springs, reliable and efficient fuel injection, cushy plastic surroundings, and plenty of cup holders. A Jeep comfortable enough for a lady to drive daily. It takes a real man who can change his own gears to drive a CJ. ;-)

LOL that's funny :)

Top Bottom