• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Kicking around the idea of getting a 4.5" add a leaf kit from zone offroad, $450 plus shipping. so I can center my front axle like it should be....or cun my trackbar down a bit....

I plan on saving up my cash for a quality 4.5" long arm kit. I need to replace my rear leaves, they are just plain worn out. I don't want to go too high to keep the CG low and will trim for wheels and use bump stops to limit up travel. Also saw some slick shackles that I might try for the leafs.

215587d1381510839-teraflex-xj-rear-revolver-shackle-kit-rockridge-4wd-1074000_v1_05032010.jpg

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I plan on saving up my cash for a quality 4.5" long arm kit. I need to replace my rear leaves, they are just plain worn out. I don't want to go too high to keep the CG low and will trim for wheels and use bump stops to limit up travel. Also saw some slick shackles that I might try for the leafs.

215587d1381510839-teraflex-xj-rear-revolver-shackle-kit-rockridge-4wd-1074000_v1_05032010.jpg

I have a pair of 2.5" shackles I'll sell you

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My brother just bought 35" tires to put on his dodge ram 2500.

I have tire envy now.

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth putting 35s on my TJ. I have 33s now.

1" body lift, will HAVE to regear. Ideal would be 4.88. Then would be smart to upgrade the front brakes. Plus the price of the tires.

This is getting expensive. I'd also have to find a hitch receiver so I can still haul my trailer.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

I have tire envy now.

1" body lift, will HAVE to regear. Ideal would be 4.88. Then would be smart to upgrade the front brakes. Plus the price of the tires.

This is getting expensive. I'd also have to find a hitch receiver so I can still haul my trailer.

If you have a 4.0L, I would go 4.56 over 4.88

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I have tire envy now.

Depends on what you will use it for. Also depends on what axles you have. For the Dana 30 I think the highest you can go is 4.88. Here is a neat little chart.

Tire & Gear Ratio Chart at Morris 4x4 Center

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    D30 front, D44 rear. 3.73 gearing now.

I'd love to regear to 4.56 for the 33s I'm running now. Just unsure if it would be worth going 35s.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    D30 front, D44 rear. 3.73 gearing now.

I'd love to regear to 4.56 for the 33s I'm running now. Just unsure if it would be worth going 35s.

After crunching some numbers, for a stock like feel from 3.73 gears...you would need 4.18 for 33's, so 4.56 would probably be best mix for power and mileage. I've heard from several people the 4.88 may be too big for the d30.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    After crunching some numbers, for a stock like feel from 3.73 gears...you would need 4.18 for 33's, so 4.56 would probably be best mix for power and mileage. I've heard from several people the 4.88 may be too big for the d30.

They sell 4.88 gears for the Dana 30 but when you get that small on the pinion gear it is so small that only one tooth is in contact at a time which can cause problems. Better to go with a different front axle if you are going that route. The stock front axle in a TJ is the Dana 30 but you can get a Dana 44 for the front and then be able to do 4.88 without any problems. I think the Rubicon had D44 front axles. Sticking with the D30 front axle, the 4.56 is a better idea. Someday I plan to re-gear my D30 and 8.25 to 4.56 for 33"s. Mine won't be a daily driver.

You could go real low for crawling by installing a transfer case doubler.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The most capable off-road machine I ever saw, IMO, was a Samurai. It wasn't stock, but even the stock ones are amazing. I'd love to find one with low miles and in great shape. Those can go between trees like nothing else. They can practically take tight ATV trails.

Yours is the nicest looking Sammy I've seen in a long while.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    It needs some work, but It was my daily driver for years, its pretty reliable.

I was on some trails near the white river back when they werent being wasted with a bike trail. Going down an atv trail where I BARELY fit between the trees, down and up a couple sinkholes, tuen a corner and BAM, theres this guy on a big 4wheeler looking at me like WTF???

Jeep wrangler rubicon is the best stock offroader IMO, but I have total respect for the samurai. Its more of a willys jeep than jeep has been, since the willys.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Dude, I love a tin top Sammy. When I was stationed in Hawaii, a Marine was leaving the island within days and had one he needed to get rid of. The engine was in the back though. I offered him $200 and it was mine. I rebuilt the engine and it was an awesome island beater. For years I was going to buy a tin top instead of a Jeep. They're just too hard to come by though and not roomy enough for a good BOV for a family of 4. Maybe one day, I'll find the right one when I have the skrilla.

I have a picture around here somewhere of it. It was an '86-'87 white tin top. Looked just like this one below:

ebay198497.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    It needs some work, but It was my daily driver for years, its pretty reliable.

I was on some trails near the white river back when they werent being wasted with a bike trail. Going down an atv trail where I BARELY fit between the trees, down and up a couple sinkholes, tuen a corner and BAM, theres this guy on a big 4wheeler looking at me like WTF???

Jeep wrangler rubicon is the best stock offroader IMO, but I have total respect for the samurai. Its more of a willys jeep than jeep has been, since the willys.

My JK would never squeeze onto one of those trails. I went off roading with some Sammys years back and even my stock YJ couldn't squeeze where they could. I got to ride in one and fell in love with it. Too bad they don't still make them.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    They do, they always have, just not here anymore.
    http://www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/cars/new/jimny/jimny
    Thank consumer reports and their lies. Suzuki sued them and won, but it didnt matter, ask anyone, everyone "knows" the samurai is a deathtrap.
    [video=youtube;F6_1o_FxsNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6_1o_FxsNs[/video]

If your interested, theres 6 videos only a few minutes each, and theres alot of video of them MAKING it tip over.

I drive mine every3 or 4 days, and for 3 years drove it everyday, and I dont like to slow down for corners, its just who I am, I use the whole lane and carry more speed. NEVER have I ever been at risk.

I personally believe there was a quiet reason for them wanting to get rid of it, either being paid off by Jeep, or just because it was Japanese and they didnt want it here. Either way, I would love to be able to buy a new one for what would probably be about $15,000

Last edited:
    Top Bottom