• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I listen to all kinds of music, but since this is a hiphop/rap thread, I will list the ones I listen to from that genre.

Anyways, of course being from the Bay Area....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SKukuRmuHU

I like the video, all the images of SF in there. I miss so much from there, but at the same time hate so many things about CA. Love and hate the Bay.

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs1a4idxRiY

Also like Eminem, Yelawolf, Dre, 2pac, E40, Luniz, older Snoop Dogg ( like Doggy Style lol ), some Drake, Rick Ross, Ti, Tech 9, and a bunch of others I am too tried to list. Will update tomorrow lol

Just want to throw out, country bumps just as hard out of my subs as hip hop and rap does :D

Last edited:

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm a lifelong musician. Guitar for 27 yrs, vocals for 21 yrs, production and performance...that's my quick bio. When I was young and impressionable rap didn't exist so it was the doors, pink Floyd, led zep, black sabbath and iron maiden. Then Metallica and megadeth came along. Rap hit and it was branded along with the breakdancing craze. Nothing about it was interesting. Then I got into more extreme music as I entered the military...carcass, bolt thrower, obituary, etc. I listened once again to what rap/hip hop was doing and still didn't find much skill or intelligence in it. Then I got into tool and other bands that were mind expanding to me. All the while rap and hip hop just got more violent and degenerative for the sake of street cred and sales. I guess my brain was never wired for that genre.

I don't know if it was a hoax or not, but I came upon an article some time ago that told a story of heads of the music industry getting together in a secret conference that foretold the making of gangsta rap for the sake of keeping the newly privatized prisons full of young black Americans. :dunno:

Probably just one of those stupid conspiracy tales, but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm a lifelong musician. Guitar for 27 yrs, vocals for 21 yrs, production and performance...that's my quick bio. When I was young and impressionable rap didn't exist so it was the doors, pink Floyd, led zep, black sabbath and iron maiden. Then Metallica and megadeth came along. Rap hit and it was branded along with the breakdancing craze. Nothing about it was interesting. Then I got into more extreme music as I entered the military...carcass, bolt thrower, obituary, etc. I listened once again to what rap/hip hop was doing and still didn't find much skill or intelligence in it. Then I got into tool and other bands that were mind expanding to me. All the while rap and hip hop just got more violent and degenerative for the sake of street cred and sales. I guess my brain was never wired for that genre.

I don't know if it was a hoax or not, but I came upon an article some time ago that told a story of heads of the music industry getting together in a secret conference that foretold the making of gangsta rap for the sake of keeping the newly privatized prisons full of young black Americans. :dunno:

Probably just one of those stupid conspiracy tales, but I thought I'd mention it.

This post tells me nothing other than you haven't a clue about hip-hop/rap.
    Just like to the unseasoned listener, heavy metal (or "Death Metal') seems like a buch of banging and clanging, the same could be said for rap. You may "hear" the music, but I doubt you are "listening." Sure there's TONS of garbage in every genere, but there's so many different styles, it's impossible to box the whole style in a corner.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    This post tells me nothing other than you haven't a clue about hip-hop/rap.
    Just like to the unseasoned listener, heavy metal (or "Death Metal') seems like a buch of banging and clanging, the same could be said for rap. You may "hear" the music, but I doubt you are "listening." Sure there's TONS of garbage in every genere, but there's so many different styles, it's impossible to box the whole style in a corner.

It's my opinion, you can't make me drink the poison and like it. I've been around since the beginning of rap. I've listened to the majority of what's out there since the beginning. You don't have to own the tapes and CD's to be introduced to a style or artist. Rock/metal was just a little of a direction that I was on to for a while. I could give two ****s for it now or much of any music that's out there now. I don't like country either for that matter.

When I used to listen music, there had to be something I could take away from it. Intelligent lyrics that were philosophical to an extent. Interesting time signatures that broke the 4/4 mold and really introduced some new grooves. Maybe an instrumental talent that breaks new ground.

Vocals are an awesome instrument if you really know how to use them. But when you use your voice to just mark meter, tempo and rhyme and use some current slang to suggest you're the latest and greatest, you're latching onto the fad wagon and short selling yourself as a potentially better musician.

As a performing musician in all original rock bands where we all played our instruments, it was sickening to find out how many "performers" just had a playback system going while the "artist" stands on stage. And that's not just rap/hip hop, that's pop, rock and several others. It's shameful.

I'm not a fan of Prince much, but I do respect him as a musician at least since he plays all his own instruments and he actually writes songs. Now, it's not necessarily all about playing an instrument either. I can appreciate some good production skills when it comes to electronic music. I love some good dub step. I just love breaking out of the 4/4 mentality and the "music" taking you somewhere else.

I've been to shows where the music comes on and I'm like, "this sounds cool, love the bass, good groove" and then the 4 guys on stage start with their talking "listen up", "yeah", "uh huh" and it's laughable to me. As soon as they open their mouths I'm out of it. I dunno? I just expect more from my music I guess.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's my opinion, you can't make me drink the poison and like it. I've been around since the beginning of rap. I've listened to the majority of what's out there since the beginning. You don't have to own the tapes and CD's to be introduced to a style or artist. Rock/metal was just a little of a direction that I was on to for a while. I could give two ****s for it now or much of any music that's out there now. I don't like country either for that matter.

When I used to listen music, there had to be something I could take away from it. Intelligent lyrics that were philosophical to an extent. Interesting time signatures that broke the 4/4 mold and really introduced some new grooves. Maybe an instrumental talent that breaks new ground.

Vocals are an awesome instrument if you really know how to use them. But when you use your voice to just mark meter, tempo and rhyme and use some current slang to suggest you're the latest and greatest, you're latching onto the fad wagon and short selling yourself as a potentially better musician.

As a performing musician in all original rock bands where we all played our instruments, it was sickening to find out how many "performers" just had a playback system going while the "artist" stands on stage. And that's not just rap/hip hop, that's pop, rock and several others. It's shameful.

I'm not a fan of Prince much, but I do respect him as a musician at least since he plays all his own instruments and he actually writes songs. Now, it's not necessarily all about playing an instrument either. I can appreciate some good production skills when it comes to electronic music. I love some good dub step. I just love breaking out of the 4/4 mentality and the "music" taking you somewhere else.

I've been to shows where the music comes on and I'm like, "this sounds cool, love the bass, good groove" and then the 4 guys on stage start with their talking "listen up", "yeah", "uh huh" and it's laughable to me. As soon as they open their mouths I'm out of it. I dunno? I just expect more from my music I guess.

Based on your reasonings in this post, it's fairly obvious that you've only been exposed to, late era, mainstream stuff... which as a rule of thumb sucks. To say someone like Lauren Hill (of the Fugees), while being a financial idiot, can't carry a tune is lunacy. Or to say that Common's "I Used to Love H.E.R." lacks philosophical meaning is crazy. Or failing to cite the Roots, who actually are an instrument playing hip-hop band that are on par with any "musical" group, only shows how very little you know about the subject at hand.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Based on your reasonings in this post, it's fairly obvious that you've only been exposed to, late era, mainstream stuff... which as a rule of thumb sucks. To say someone like Lauren Hill (of the Fugees), while being a financial idiot, can't carry a tune is lunacy. Or to say that Common's "I Used to Love H.E.R." lacks philosophical meaning is crazy. Or failing to cite the Roots, who actually are an instrument playing hip-hop band that are on par with any "musical" group, only shows how very little you know about the subject at hand.

No need to cut someone's opinion down with insults. I'm not talking about the likes of Lauren hill and from what I've listed to by the roots, I dig them. Some hip hop artists have distanced themselves from the rap genre. And if you ask some artists they'll say that hip hop is a 'culture' and rap is a genre. Look, I don't need to write a thesis to support my opinion. It's not going to make me like it anymore than I do if I knew Keith Wiggins momma.

There's a reason why this music has its own genre. If it changes to conform one way or the other then it just becomes pop music or some cross genre bastardization of rap, R&B or soul.

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Some of my favorites are, Brotha Lynch, 4Tay, DJ Quik, Celly Cell, Too Short, Richie Rich, C-Bo, MC Breed, UGK, Scarface, Do or Die, Keak Da Sneak, Kurupt, Cool Nutz,
    Royce Da 59, Jayo Felony, B-Legit, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, WSC....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

There was a time that I liked Cypress Hill and Bone Thugs and Harmony. Back when I had a certain vice.

Not sure if trollin?

This song/album is what got me into hip hop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGnf-GX3qME

Top Bottom