• ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I bought my first Glock last week, a Gen 4 17. I chose it because my brother's had a 27 for years and I've really liked it, but, more importantly, the Gen 4 17 fits my hand well and I wanted a 9mm since it's cheaper to shoot then S&W 40. I also like the Glock night sights. The Glock is mostly for fun at the range--I carry a LCP with Crimson Trace and if I ever need more than that it will have been a really bad day.

Anyway, back to the Gen 4 17... First and only day at the range had 5 FTF's in the first 100 rounds. These were all in the first 3 magazines (50 rounds). I was firing the Remington 115gr ammo that's been reported problematic elsewhere on the 'net, and also Lellier and Bellot 115gr (both FMJ hardball, of course). I inspected the rounds that FTF and saw what looked like slight deformation (~.5 to 1mm long "nicking") of the sharp edge at the front of the shell casing. I reloaded all the FTF rounds and they fired fine. The final three magazines fed fine. No ejection problems. I shot 50 of each ammo type in alternating magazines.

Should I be concerned? The last 3 mag's fed and fired fine. Is this somewhat normal with a brand new gun? I didn't clean or lube the gun (it was spotlessly clean and properly lubed from the factory). I didn't remove any of the copper lube (per the instructions). Sometimes when I field-strip the pistol after cycling the action, the guide rod assembly can be quite a bit "off-center", as though it floats free at some point and can unseat itself from its notch in the barrel.

Really like the way this thing handles and shoots--just looking for some advice based upon firsthand experience before I get too far down the road with the Gen 4 17.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Should I be concerned?

IMO, no. The Gen4 recoil system was developed specifically to remedy function issues some police agencies had with the G22. That being the case, the Gen4 G17s are regarded by many to be "oversprung" and may have issues with certain types of (underpowered) ammunition. Keep shooting it, try a variety of ammo types, and don't pass judgement one way or the other until you've put about 200 rounds through the gun.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    If I re-assemble the guide rod on my Gen-2 G19 in the lowest cutout, it always moves itself up after the first slide-cycle. It just likes to be in that spot better...never had any problems.

Also, I've never heard of a gun that doesn't need a good 200+ rounds through it to work out the kinks and smooth out the action. I would shoot it more, and keep the mags loaded to capacity for awhile. If you get to 300 rounds and are still having problems, then maybe begin to investigate. All the glocks I have owned have been perfectly reliable within 200-250 rounds after purchase.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    first off congrats on your new G17! as far as the malfunctions is this happening with the same mag everytime? I would also put more rounds through it before getting too worried.

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I held a gen 4 G22 the other day and it really feels good in my hand. I really wanted a G19 and did not want to wait for it to come out, so I just picked up a 3rd gen one.

Top Bottom