Not open for further replies.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    freemason

My great great grandfather was. My grandfather was. My father is. I'm not. I live near what used to be a lodge and is falling down. Last it was a junk store until that closed too. Now it has a hole in the side. I think someone ran a car into it. I'm kind of interested in the masons, but dad wouldn't tell me anything about it. And I never knew grandpa.

Jason

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    wpid-temple_of_doom_flaming-heart.jpg

"Welcome, fellow travelers! My Mom is 73!"

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    These last two posts are the kind to be expected from steveh_131.
    He mocks that which he does not understand.
    He seeks to offend and succeeds until one realizes how little value his opinion deserves.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The lost key to their grade is the mastery of emotion, which places the energy of the universe at their disposal. Man can only expect to be entrusted with great power by proving his ability to use it constructively and selflessly. When the Mason learns that the key to the warrior on the block is the proper application of the dynamo of living power, he has learned the mystery of his Craft. The seething energies of Lucifer are in his hands and before he may step onward and upward, he must prove his ability to properly apply energy. He must follow in the footsteps of his forefather, Tubal-Cain, who with the mighty strength of the war god hammered his sword into a plowshare.

-THE LOST KEYS OF FREEMASONRY or The Secret of Hiram Abiff
    by Manly P. Hall

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    For years there was animosity towards the chapter because of the success we had, and because of that basically the only masonic involvement was us using the lodge.

Our chapter dad (initials was LT and not a Mason) was my best friends dad and devoted almost all of his free time to the cause and because of that there was a lot of young men who respected and looked up to him. About 2 months after my term as Master Councilor ended, members of the lodge walked in one night and removed the charter off the wall and effectively shut us down, they reopen about 6 months later (without LT involved), but the damage was done and the chapter never recovered and disappeared into never never land.

At least I got to make my mark in history and time as MC of the chapter, because when they built the new lodge, inside the corner stone time capsule is a collection of items from the Chapter including signed documents from me as well as pictures of the 60+ kids involved at the time.

Great times and made many friends across the state as we made visitations to other chapters.

I'm glad someone brought this thread back up... I was talking to a guy that used to be heavily involved in Mooresville DeMolay (because of his son). He said that there was a little more to what your saying. He said that some of the boys got caught tearing stuff up in the lodge. Do you know anything about that?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The lost key to their grade is the mastery of emotion, which places the energy of the universe at their disposal. Man can only expect to be entrusted with great power by proving his ability to use it constructively and selflessly. When the Mason learns that the key to the warrior on the block is the proper application of the dynamo of living power, he has learned the mystery of his Craft. The seething energies of Lucifer are in his hands and before he may step onward and upward, he must prove his ability to properly apply energy. He must follow in the footsteps of his forefather, Tubal-Cain, who with the mighty strength of the war god hammered his sword into a plowshare.

-THE LOST KEYS OF FREEMASONRY or The Secret of Hiram Abiff
    by Manly P. Hall

Ok, this got me curious. Manly Palmer Hall was apparently quite the author, researcher, and masonic scholar. He wrote dozens of books on philosophy, mysticism, and Freemasonry. He seems to be an authority on the subject.

Some of his books included The Lost Keys of Freemasonry (1923), An Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolical Philosophy [aka The Secret Teachings Of All Ages](1928), The Dionysian Artificers (1936), Freemasonry of the Ancient Egyptians (1937), and Masonic Orders of Fraternity (1950).

He was exalted to the title of 33rd Degree Mason, the highest honor, in 1973, after writing multiple books associating Freemasonry with Lucifer. How does that happen? :n00b:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manly_Palmer_Hall

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    He was exalted to the title of 33rd Degree Mason, the highest honor, after writing multiple books associating Freemasonry with Lucifer. How does that happen? :n00b:
    It's easy. You only read the parts of the text that you want. You interpret them how you want, without ever being in the least bit involved in Masonry.

Ps.. I thought you were an Alex Jones fanboi? Don't you know there's 360 degrees of Masonry?!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It's easy. You only read the parts of the text that you want. You interpret them how you want, without ever being in the least bit involved in Masonry.

I am very open to having my interpretation corrected.

Please tell me which of these statements is not true:

1. Manly P. Hall was a well respected and successful mason.
    2. Manly P. Hall wrote a well known book about the masons.
    3. Manly P. Hall implied that the key to being a successful mason is to properly channel the 'seething energies of Lucifer'.

Which of these statements do you believe to be false? Do you personally strive to channel the 'seething energies of Lucifer' as a mason?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm trying to imagine a way to put the idea of channeling the power of Lucifer into a context that is not antithetical to Christianity. It does not appear that Hall ever rescinded his writings on Lucifer.

Hopefully at least modern masons reject Manly P. Hall. I understand that there are kooks in every group, I just don't get how he becomes one of the chosen few and never repudiated.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I am very open to having my interpretation corrected.

Please tell me which of these statements is not true:

1. Manly P. Hall was a well respected and successful mason.
    2. Manly P. Hall wrote a well known book about the masons.
    3. Manly P. Hall implied that the key to being a successful mason is to properly channel the 'seething energies of Lucifer'.

Which of these statements do you believe to be false? Do you personally strive to channel the 'seething energies of Lucifer' as a mason?

I'm not going to argue with you, but your reading expressed in point '3' is incorrect.

If you care to, read the story of Tubal-cain in the Old Testament. It may give you more insight to what Mr. Hall was saying. If you don't, just continue to spew incorrect opinions on something you know nothing about.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm trying to imagine a way to put the idea of channeling the power of Lucifer into a context that is not antithetical to Christianity. It does not appear that Hall ever rescinded his writings on Lucifer.

Hopefully at least modern masons reject Manly P. Hall. I understand that there are kooks in every group, I just don't get how he becomes one of the chosen few and never repudiated.
    Where does he say you should channel Lucifer? Again, you're trying to draw a conclusion on something without any knowledge on the topic.

Like I said above... Read the story of Tubal-cain.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

"Lucifer," I believe, means "Morning Star," and may not always refer to the "fallen angel" of Christianity. Early matches were supposedly called "Lucifers," but I doubt devout Christians refused to use them.

As far as how he received the 33rd. Degree, which is honorary, I have no idea. Masonry, like all organizations of humans, sometimes does inexplicable things.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    "Lucifer," I believe, means "Morning Star," and may not always refer to the "fallen angel" of Christianity. Early matches were supposedly called "Lucifers," but I doubt devout Christians refused to use them.

As far as how he received the 33rd. Degree, which is honorary, I have no idea. Masonry, like all organizations of humans, sometimes does inexplicable things.

He capitalized it. Which means he was using it as a proper noun.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you care to, read the story of Tubal-cain in the Old Testament. It may give you more insight to what Mr. Hall was saying. If you don't, just continue to spew incorrect opinions on something you know nothing about.

What about this one?

Lucifer, the Light-bearer! Strange and mysterious name to give to the Spirit of Darkness! Lucifer, the Son of the Morning! Is it he who bears the Light, and with its splendors intolerable, blinds feeble, sensual, or selfish souls? Doubt it not!
    - Albert Pike, Sovereign Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite's Southern Jurisdiction for 32 years

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom