Any experience or reviews of GSG 522-SD (.22LR MP5 clone)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Looks like a pretty neat MP5 clone plinker AND you can get a 110 round drum for the thing! Thinking about picking one up...

Anyone have one or shot one they can chime in about?

American20Tactical20GSG-522SD.jpg

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have shot one of those MP5 clones in 9mm, and the biggest drawback was it being classified as a rifle which requires a 16" barrel. The fake suppressor tries to hide how log the barrel is, but makes it even heavier. Still, I want one, and would gladly trade my M&P-15 .22 pistol (which has 6" barrel, but lacks a stock, making it difficult to aim) for an MP5 rifle. Where to buy?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have the rifle and it rocks. It's extremely fun to shoot. Throw a cheap red dot on there and it's even more fun. I can't wait to SBR it and throw my suppressor on it.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Looks like a pretty neat MP5 clone plinker AND you can get a 110 round drum for the thing! Thinking about picking one up...

Anyone have one or shot one they can chime in about?

American20Tactical20GSG-522SD.jpg
    I have the GSG 5 and it's a blast to shoot. :)
    Just don't clean it with Gun Scrubber. ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i was going to buy one, i wanted it for a suppressor host, but the threading would have been all wrong. i wish they would have attached the fake suppressor with normal threads

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I have the rifle and it rocks. It's extremely fun to shoot. Throw a cheap red dot on there and it's even more fun. I can't wait to SBR it and throw my suppressor on it.
    Where did you end up buying yours from? Online or from a LGS?

What cheap red dot sight would you suggest? I'm new to the red dot scope world and no idea what is what. :dunno:

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    I have one and it is very fun to shoot. I got mine at Dunham's for around $250. Look for them on sale.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    What will that cleaner do to it? Discolor or something?
    The box is supposed to have a warning against using Gun Scrubber, and similarly formulated cleaners, because the painted finish on the rifle will be affected.
    My first one didn't come with that warning.....
    Gun scrubber melts the finish like plastic under a hot torch. :(
    GSG replaced mine after they "discovered" that a certain lot of the rifles were shipped without the warning.
    Mine was from that lot.
    Just use Break Free, or some other CLP, and it'll be fine.
    Wow! Dunham's carry these? I wonder if Dick's, Walmart or any of the other "chain stores" carries them also?
    I bought both of mine at Dunhams.
    I haven't seen new ones for sale any where else.
    When the GSG 5 model was discontinued due to the lawsuit from H&K Dunhams bought the entire stock from the US Distributer.
    They seem to have bought most of the GSG 522's as well.

msirelan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Central IN
    Friend of mine owns one and it shoots good but the rate of fire is real low. You can pull the trigger as fast as you want but the gun only shoots so fast. That was the only bad thing I could find with his.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks for all the input guys- appreciate it!

Well, I went to 21st. Century Firearms today to pick up something else I had there waiting for me and while I was there, I talked to David Fillers (owner) about my interest in such a gun, if he could get it, etc.

That's when he cast his his sales/fishing line and set the hook in me.....

He showed me a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 rifle (AR-15 clone) with a collapsable stock, adjustable iron sights, 25 round mag, etc. I'd read a lot about them and watched a number of videos of them online to know they had a pretty good reputation- but once I held one and coonfingered it up, I KNEW it had to be mine! :cool:

Needless to say, I swallowed the bait~ hook, line and sinker and bought the thing! The guys at 21st. are always pleasant to deal with, making it fun to buy cool gun stuff from them. ;)

I need to quit going in there though, cause' I'm gonna go broke! They've hooked me with a new gun purchases three times for three (1 per visit) every time I set foot in their door! :):

They earned a three-peat customer- all from them originally taking the time to find me that Desert Eagle MR9 I was hunting for a while ago, that no other gun shop I spoke to or called seemed to want to help me find. They're invested time and remembering that I was searching for one paid off.

Thanks 21st. and I can't wait to have a little range fun with it! :ar15:

Top Bottom