• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was raised into firearms through my father being a LEO. But I received more training going through Boy Scouts.

So my question is, anyone acheive Eagle Scout or anyone in Boy Scouts or have children in boy scouts / girl scouts?

I received my Eagle Scout at the age of 13 on 12/17/1997 Troop 400 St. Micheals.

If you do have kids in scouts, they might not like it, but if you keep pushing them, in the long run they will thank you for it. I have traveled the world, survived on my own in all sorts of climates, lands and conditions. I am glad that my father pushed me even if I hated it at the time. Now I can survive all on my own without having to worry about it. Only thing I have forgotten, is about 500+ knots haha.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    12/12/02.

Worked at Ransburg Scout Reservation for 7 summers, lived/worked there full time three years as well.

Also earned my Venturing Silver and Ranger awards, and a **** ton of merit badges.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Recieved my Eagle Scout Summer of '96 at age 15. Troop 248 Owensville, IN. Buffalo Trace Council. Spent every summer at Old Ben Scout Reservation and worked there 3 years before I moved.

Brotherhood member of Order of the Arrow also.

After I moved to Central Indiana I couldn't find another troop that was going anywhere so I was out of scouting at age 16. By going anywhere I mean they sat in church at meeting and played and talked and worked on merit badges. My old troop was all about the outdoors. Every weekend in the summer we went SOMEWHERE. Went to State Parks at least twice a month, went to Blue River and Turkey Run at least 3-5 times a year, Scouting Museum/Wyndote Caves/Marango Caves at least twice a year... Well, you get the point. We were always camping, hiking, etc.

How many of you went to Philmont, NM? My best experiance next to my Initiation for OA!

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Recieved my Eagle Scout Summer of '96 at age 15. Troop 248 Owensville, IN. Buffalo Trace Council. Spent every summer at Old Ben Scout Reservation and worked there 3 years before I moved.

After I moved to Central Indiana I couldn't find another troop that was going anywhere so I was out of scouting at age 16. By going anywhere I mean they sat in church at meeting and played and talked and worked on merit badges. My old troop was all about the outdoors. Every weekend in the summer we went SOMEWHERE. Went to State Parks at least twice a month, went to Blue River and Turkey Run at least 3-5 times a year, Scouting Museum/Wyndote Caves/Marango Caves at least twice a year... Well, you get the point. We were always camping, hiking, etc.

How many of you went to Philmont, NM? My best experiance next to my Initiation for OA!

The troop I was in was pretty active as well. Every year we went camping at least one weekend a month. I dont remember how many Polar Bears I have received. We usually went to Kretenstein *sp* every year then another week somewhere across country. I received my Brotherhood in OA, never went onto my Vigil though.

We went to Big Ben once and it was when I shot my first rifle 22 single shot. I remember Red lake as they call it. Probably one of the nicest scout camps in this state in my view!

I went to Philmont in 2002, suffered a lot but it was worth it for sure. My uncle gave me his Philmont patches from the 1960's since he went through the same.

I cant remember how many times we have hiked the Trail of Nations here in indiana as well.

Hopefully nobody was as dumb as I was and bought the Eagle Scout Directory for $90. Such a rip off. Stupid book, thought it was going to be intuitive than just a damn phone book.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

Savage:

Your story resonates with me. I got into scouting in CA growing up and was part of an awful troop. We didn't really do anything fun and I lost interest. I sure wish I would've had a better experience because I think scouting would've been for for me.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yep! Made it to Philmont in 1987, I think. Great time. Shot my first 30-06, threw my first 'hawk, and learned to hate Pemmican bars. :)

Throwing tomahawks was AWESOME! It's where I shot my first O/U Shotty and they were EXPENSIVE shotty's at that! 5/5 clays first time around with the shells I loaded myself. I was proud that day!

The troop I was in was pretty active as well. Every year we went camping at least one weekend a month. I dont remember how many Polar Bears I have received. We usually went to Kretenstein *sp* every year then another week somewhere across country. I received my Brotherhood in OA, never went onto my Vigil though.

We went to Big Ben once and it was when I shot my first rifle 22 single shot. I remember Red lake as they call it. Probably one of the nicest scout camps in this state in my view!

I went to Philmont in 2002, suffered a lot but it was worth it for sure. My uncle gave me his Philmont patches from the 1960's since he went through the same.

I cant remember how many times we have hiked the Trail of Nations here in indiana as well.

Hopefully nobody was as dumb as I was and bought the Eagle Scout Directory for $90. Such a rip off. Stupid book, thought it was going to be intuitive than just a damn phone book.

We did the Polar Bear just about every year ourselves. THAT was fun stuff!

Red Lake is actually Copper Lake. It was a copper mine at one time donated to the BSA. We put our rowboats and canoes in that lake to eat the algea off the bottom! Not a swimming lake unless you don't like skin....

My dad bought me a copy of the ESD aswell. It's kinda neat to see all the Eagle Scouts across the Country. Fun to look up politicians and use it to remind them of their former BS Oath! :D

Savage:

Your story resonates with me. I got into scouting in CA growing up and was part of an awful troop. We didn't really do anything fun and I lost interest. I sure wish I would've had a better experience because I think scouting would've been for for me.

Yea, it's all about the troop activities. Some troops are better than others, obviously. I can't wait for my son to join so I can get involved again. I love to talk with other BS's when I see them in uniform and encourage them to stay with it and get their Eagle. I can't wait until this Summer. I have an open invatation to go back to Old Ben as a Counselor and I intend to make good on that this year if I can.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Thank you for your service. :patriot: But your choice of words "real uniform" comes across as somewhat crass (at least to me). :twocents:

Nope, just showing the progression of boy to man.

Same as my grandfather, father, two uncles, four cousins and soon my sons.

All scouts... all soldiers, sailors and a marine. :patriot:

Now if I'd said real uniform, I'd take it the way you did. ;)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Thought that I posted this once but guess that it didn't take. Our son achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. A very worthwhile organization and kudos to all who have achieved this honor :patriot:

and yes he is a Firecrafter also :+1:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thought that I posted this once but guess that it didn't take. Our son achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. A very worthwhile organization and kudos to all who have achieved this honor :patriot:

Actually I believe there's been 2-3 threads on this... :D

Congrats! Again! I think... :p

:patriot:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN

Where are you guys in IN? I served two years on the Firecrafter Exec board, by mom is the current Central Flame advisor, and my father is the current Prairie Valley (Del-Mi) advisor.

Oh, and yeah, I can rock out the Minute Man with my eyes shut. Cold set to lit bird's nest, my record is 34 seconds. :D

Top Bottom