• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would definitely be willing to try it. My wife and I are big into natural medicine and healing type stuff, just havnt learned as much add we would like yet. I have actually tried the essential oils from whole foods but they don't have any special blend and they aren't near as potent as some. I appreciate you're response and if you could get a sample that would be great. I would be happy just to find something to take the pain level down since that is basically ask the painkillers do and never actually get rid of it. I know I need to get off all that junk to get the rebound migraines gone to figure out the root cause
    Yeah, these oils will be much better than those found at your local health store. I will see what my wife can do.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not a doctor, so I can only give you MY story.

In my younger years (6-13), I suffered from severe headaches. I couldn't tell you whether or not they were "migraines", because I was too young to know the difference then.

Mine came every 6-7 days. Basically, every Sunday or Monday like clockwork. It got to the point where my parents just prepared for it every week. The process just repeated itself over and over. I remember them always starting out tolerable, but got so bad within 2 hours that I could barely move. After that, I would get extremely dizzy and just stark puking. Every single time, I would vomit. After vomiting, the pain went back to tolerable and the next day I was fine.

Before figuring out the real problem, we tried:
    - Every off the shelf pain/migraine medication
    - Cutting out various things from my diet
    - Chiropractors
    - etc

None of it worked.

Eventually, I got put through a pretty extensive testing regime by one doctor in Columbus. Did the whole brain scans, several overnight sleep evaluations, and a bunch of other testing that I can't remember (again, I was young then and didn't understand everything).

Eventually, they came to the conclusion that I had a small heart/vascular condition. I couldn't tell you exactly WHAT the condition was, but it had to do with some valve/vein/vessel/whatever randomly enlarging every 6-7 days and flooding my brain with blood for a short time period.

I was put on a prescription called "Propranolol", which I was told was usually used for post heart attack patients. I was only on it for around a year, as the doctors said my body would "learn" new habits with the medication. I took it for that time period, and I haven't suffered through any of those vomit inducing headaches since (15+ years later).

That's my story. It may or may not help you, but I know how bad headaches/migraines suck so I hope you find something useful.

Good luck.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thankfully, I do not suffer from migraines, but my wife's good friend did in high school. We were just talking about this last night, weird. Anyway, she tried everything, according to my wife, and what ended up helping her was acupuncture, believe it or not. I know some think this is "crazy stuff", but if you've exhausted all options, you may want to give it a try. I do not know where/who she went to, but apparently after 3 or 4 treatments, her migraines were gone. I can find out the info, if you're interested.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Thankfully, I do not suffer from migraines, but my wife's good friend did in high school. We were just talking about this last night, weird. Anyway, she tried everything, according to my wife, and what ended up helping her was acupuncture, believe it or not. I know some think this is "crazy stuff", but if you've exhausted all options, you may want to give it a try. I do not know where/who she went to, but apparently after 3 or 4 treatments, her migraines were gone. I can find out the info, if you're interested.

That would be great if you could find out for me. Its something I had considered but hadn't heard of any first hand experience and not being able to work at the moment I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into something if it doesn't work. it will definitely be something I will look into now.thanks!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I can't offer much help other than to reiterate what some have already said. I dealt with Migraines for about 20 years of my life, along with severe insomnia (I looked like the walking dead). I have severe arthritis and bursitis. About 5 years ago I cleaned up my diet and got away from the junk you get from fast food, was caffeine free for over 3 years and only a little now, reduced my sugar intake and decreased portions by drinking water before eating. The results were fairly quick and have been much healthier-migraine frequency has slowed down from weekly to only once every few months (if that often), i sleep through the night, feel better, have energy, vision cleared up, blood pressure down... The biggest part was caffeine in my opinion and the doc agrees. Caffeine increased my blood pressure into stroke range, caused insomnia, and caused vomit inducing, physically crippling, blurry vision headaches to the point where you can't function. I refused all the meds because I am afraid of the addiction and we searched alternative methods. He had never run across someone so susceptible to caffeine problems.

So please find what works for you and let us know. I've never been to a chiropractor and if it truly helps even with arthritis problems you have I would like to know. Thanks for posting your story and asking for help. I have learned a few small things in this thread.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I have been chugging water all day and even though I never drink much caffeinei completely avoided it today. I have still had a low grade migraine but most of the day it has been much Less than normal and so far have only had to take the norco twice today. Ireally need it right now but I am waiting it out for as long as I can. I went and got tons of fruit and vegetables to make some juices in the vitamix. I am kind of trying a detox I guess. I got the idea from a documentary called fat sick and nearly dead since there was a woman on there with the same problem as me. I am going to try to east nothing but fruit and vegetables for a couple Weeks and only water to see if I can at least Get off that junkthat is just making things worse. I was scared to do it because of the withdraw I had from a med they tried me on before but so far its not too bad just have been really dizzy for some reason everytimei move around a lot.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Watched a documentary Called Lynching Charles Lynch or something. The protagonist smoked MJ to help his chronic migraines. Ive never had migraines so I dont really know

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I had migraine issues with menopause (yes! I am old.) I Had other major issues as well, but refused to take any drugs. My mother had a "pill for every ill" mentality that resulted in lots of bad drug interactions and addictions as well.

Therefore, I have a drug 'phobia' and avoid them as much as I can. Ok, so here is my fix. This is so simple and common sense it seems ridiculous. My five rules:
    1. eat right - no white food, dyes, preservatives, etc. basically eat real food with major concentration on vegetables - low carb
    2. get enough sleep (yes, hard to do with a migraine)
    3. drink lots of water - do not drink your calories
    4. de-stress - also very hard to do
    5. get enough exercise

To start out it is recommended to detox using an elimination diet - 2 week duration.

I lost weight and feel great. It has helped tremendously with my allergies, too. There is nothing to lose by trying this approach - even if it does not help the headaches you will be healthier and more energetic.

Also, my son had migraines starting at about 6 years old. They were awful. He would lay on the floor, hold his head, and roll. Lots of sleep was the cure but, how to get him to sleep! We restricted caffeine, eliminated fermented foods and aged foods, like cheese. Lack of sleep seemed to be a trigger for him as well.

Interestingly enough, my sister-in-law used caffeine for her migraines. She would drink very strong coffee.

As others have noted, each situation is unique. What works for some does not for others.

Best wishes for a satisfactory resolution. My sympathies are with you.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Maybe I missed it in all of the posts, but when do these migraines occur? Do you wake up with them, or are the all over the board?

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for the advice I will have to do my research but this will give me s good start. I easy pretty healthy now and only weigh 135 so really can't lose much but the healthy eating should help detox at least.I know I really need to exercise but its so hard when your in painadd I'm sure you know.
    I had migraine issues with menopause (yes! I am old.) I Had other major issues as well, but refused to take any drugs. My mother had a "pill for every ill" mentality that resulted in lots of bad drug interactions and addictions as well.

Therefore, I have a drug 'phobia' and avoid them as much as I can. Ok, so here is my fix. This is so simple and common sense it seems ridiculous. My five rules:
    1. eat right - no white food, dyes, preservatives, etc. basically eat real food with major concentration on vegetables - low carb
    2. get enough sleep (yes, hard to do with a migraine)
    3. drink lots of water - do not drink your calories
    4. de-stress - also very hard to do
    5. get enough exercise

To start out it is recommended to detox using an elimination diet - 2 week duration.

I lost weight and feel great. It has helped tremendously with my allergies, too. There is nothing to lose by trying this approach - even if it does not help the headaches you will be healthier and more energetic.

Also, my son had migraines starting at about 6 years old. They were awful. He would lay on the floor, hold his head, and roll. Lots of sleep was the cure but, how to get him to sleep! We restricted caffeine, eliminated fermented foods and aged foods, like cheese. Lack of sleep seemed to be a trigger for him as well.

Interestingly enough, my sister-in-law used caffeine for her migraines. She would drink very strong coffee.

As others have noted, each situation is unique. What works for some does not for others.

Best wishes for a satisfactory resolution. My sympathies are with you.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Maybe I missed it in all of the posts, but when do these migraines occur? Do you wake up with them, or are the all over the board?

Its pretty much all over the board. Some Weeks I will wake up with horrible migraines and some they won't come on until an hour or two after being awake.and some Weeks are worse than others with the pain level. Also I will be fine or have a low pain level and within seconds I will have a horrible migraine. Evenwhen I don't have one I have a constant pressure feeling in my head. I can't seem to find any reason for it so I rally feel like my other symptoms are related

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Its pretty much all over the board. Some Weeks I will wake up with horrible migraines and some they won't come on until an hour or two after being awake.and some Weeks are worse than others with the pain level. Also I will be fine or have a low pain level and within seconds I will have a horrible migraine. Evenwhen I don't have one I have a constant pressure feeling in my head. I can't seem to find any reason for it so I rally feel like my other symptoms are related

Have you ever seen an ENT doc? This could be allergy related. It sounds like what I experienced after my second son was born. I thought I had a sinus infection but, found out my sinuses were just incredibly swollen. I had pain and pressure in my head. It felt like someone was actually sitting on my face and I could not lay flat. Every tooth in my mouth hurt, as did my ears and I was very dizzy. You might try an OTC allergy med with decongestant to see if you obtain any relief. (Be sure to be aware of drug interactions with what you are currently taking.)

I do not take any allergy meds currently(when watching what I eat and what household products I use I am quite comfortable). Although, I do use a nasal steroid some(Flonase). I do manage to use less Flonase when I am keeping a very watchful eye on my diet. There are some seasonal issues outdoors in Spring and Fall, but again diet has helped tremendously. I also take a good multivitamin/mineral supplement that has citrus bioflavenoids.

Possibly check out an anti-inflammation diet. Hope this will be helpful to you. I know how miserable this makes you feel. I felt so bad I felt like I was neglecting my children (an infant and 2 year old at the time)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria

The reason I asked about the timing of the headaches is that when they are morning events, often they are triggered by nocturnal clenching. A dentist who knows what he's doing can make a gizmo called an NTI-TSS ("NTI") that snaps over your front teeth when you sleep and prevents the clenching stress that triggers the migraines.

However, since yours happen at various times, that might just be pissing in the wind. Good luck.

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have no experience with migraines, but have had good results with chiropractic treatments in other health regards. My lower back & pelvis were so out of alignment earlier this year, it was affecting my blatter function (I'm only 27). After a couple adjustments, I noticed a considerable difference. At this point I go once every 3 or 4 weeks, and do core exercises at home to strengthen the muscles in my lower back. My line of work is probably to blame...heavy lifting etc.

The are definitely good and bad chiropractors, as with all types of doctors. I go to the guy my dad has used for several years (Lawrence area). I believe a neck/back adjustment is $40 or $25 for neck only, if you don't have insurance. Beware of any type of contract treatment plan....I did encounter a clinic pushing that, before going to my current chiro. YMMV with chiropractic, just giving my :twocents:

Top Bottom