• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    If you do go for an impala, monte carlo, or any other GM based car with the 3.1 or 3.4 v6 engine, make sure it has had the intake manifold gasket repaired. This gasket fails on every one of those engines and its a pain to replace, costly if you have a shop do it. Just food for thought.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I had $4k and I MUST buy reliable transportation...

I'd also look at a used Buick.

Think through "who you know" and who you know may also have elderly parents and/or grandparents. Then, as gently as you can, inquire if they may have a vehicle that they don't use any more or simply can't due to age/eyesight/other malady.

-J-

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would look at a 2000-2005 Buick Park Ave. I have a 2004 and love it. Tons of room, comfortable ride, and the GM 3.8L engine will run forever. Seriously, 250-300k miles is not uncommon for these engines. Plus about 26-30 mpg on the highway. You can find them for under 4k all day long.
    Anything with the GM 3.8L engine. They can be found in:
    Pontiac Grand Prix
    Pontiac Bonneville
    Chevy Monte Carlo
    Chevy Impala
    Buick Regal
    Buick Park Ave

The 3.8L engine has been evolving since the 70's and as such is relatively simple and very strong. Common repair issues with the above cars over 100k miles will be wheel bearings but they aren't incredibly expensive to replace. To check, raise the car and grab the wheel at 12 and 6. See if you can push to top and pull the bottom and the the opposite. If there is much play it will likely need a replacement soon. Additionally you might want to pull the door panels and make sure the plastic that is supposed to keep water out of the inside of the car is still stuck well. It has a tendency to come loose after many years of heat cycles which will let some water in when it rains. Some standard maintenance I'd check the belts and radiator hoses. Both easy to change. I have a supercharged 3.8L Grand Prix from 2002 with 107k and counting. No engine issues at all. I don't do much but oil changes and spark plug changes. I will say that all of the above are a bit like driving a land barge, but they'll get you there with little trouble. :)

If you do go for an impala, monte carlo, or any other GM based car with the 3.1 or 3.4 v6 engine, make sure it has had the intake manifold gasket repaired. This gasket fails on every one of those engines and its a pain to replace, costly if you have a shop do it. Just food for thought.
    This is why I'd only look for one with the 3.8 liter engine.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    2001-2003 Volvo XC 60. AWD, 2.5l that gets 30mpg its a got a large back so also works like an suv.

We have had a fair share of volvos and always run them well past 200k.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have a 99 Olds Delta 88 we had to take away from my FIL due to Altzhiemer's. I just spent $667 on brake lines and would like to get it out of my driveway. Only 85k plus or minus. We just couldn't let him drive it anymore. 3.8 liter and in exceptional condition.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I have a 99 Olds Delta 88 we had to take away from my FIL due to Altzhiemer's. I just spent $667 on brake lines and would like to get it out of my driveway. Only 85k plus or minus. We just couldn't let him drive it anymore. 3.8 liter and in exceptional condition.

I am willing to bet you will have no problem selling that!! I just want something a little newer.

MemphisR32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Westfield
    I'm not at all affiliated or even know who it is but on 31 between Tipton and Kokomo a guy is selling a 2500 Suburban for 3700. Can't beat that for reliability.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    Anything with the GM 3.8L engine. They can be found in:
    Pontiac Grand Prix
    Pontiac Bonneville
    Chevy Monte Carlo
    Chevy Impala
    Buick Regal
    Buick Park Ave

The 3.8L engine has been evolving since the 70's and as such is relatively simple and very strong. Common repair issues with the above cars over 100k miles will be wheel bearings but they aren't incredibly expensive to replace. To check, raise the car and grab the wheel at 12 and 6. See if you can push to top and pull the bottom and the the opposite. If there is much play it will likely need a replacement soon. Additionally you might want to pull the door panels and make sure the plastic that is supposed to keep water out of the inside of the car is still stuck well. It has a tendency to come loose after many years of heat cycles which will let some water in when it rains. Some standard maintenance I'd check the belts and radiator hoses. Both easy to change. I have a supercharged 3.8L Grand Prix from 2002 with 107k and counting. No engine issues at all. I don't do much but oil changes and spark plug changes. I will say that all of the above are a bit like driving a land barge, but they'll get you there with little trouble. :)

This is why I'd only look for one with the 3.8 liter engine.

every single GM V6 will need the intake gasket replaced. if the PO let it go too long, say hello to a ticking time-bomb.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Guy in Kokomo on CL had a nice impala at a great price. I inquired about it, he said he bought it from an insurance company. He told me he didn't know the history on it. I asked if he was willing to pull a carfax on it and he gave me the VIN and told me he didn't need the carfax, but if I wanted to pay for it I could run it. Ran it and turns out the car was totaled by the insurance company! You don't think that they told him that??? JERK! He could have just told me that before wasting my money!

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I don't like car payments either. Just got a '97 Honda Civic, 160K, runs like new.
    IMHO, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda and Saturn----all good values.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The P-71.

Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.
    Parts are plentiful and the 4.6 is a user friendly motor.

Top Bottom