• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Got the tax refund and looking to buy a 2nd vehicle. I just got finished with car payments and DO NOT want another!

My question is...What car do you recommend on a $4000 budget?

Here are my requirements...RELIABLE, 4dr, prefer car but consider small suv, under 150k miles, 2004+ year model. Car needs to look in great shape as well as great running condition.

All of that being said, what do you guys think I should be looking for in my price range? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I have been looking into Impalas, but never owned one before.

XNAY on the saving more money to find a better car...tight budget and need 2nd car soon!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Honda accord

Edit: I see you said 2004 or newer. May not get a Honda that new for $4k, but what does the year matter if it's a great made car?

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    More of a body style preference, but I could lower my expectations of year model for a solid car. I have been looking at Hondas and they seem pretty pricey! At $4k I would be looking at a 90's model lol! My main concern with a Honda is so so many kids buying them and pretending they are in the Fast and the Furious! There is no telling what the heck they have done to them lol!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If I had a $4,000 budget, I'd probably look to spend about $3,000-3,500 on the car while leaving the leftover as an emergency repair fund. If you can find something like an Accord/Camry in your budget, you'd probably do best with those. That style Impala isn't a bad car and you should be able to find one in pretty decent shape with that mileage and price range.

You might check Autotrader or Cars.com. You should be able to pick your price and mileage and how far you're willing to go for the vehicle...or check Craigslist. I did find a 2005 Impala with 108k, lots of options for $2,700 but it is kinda far from you (in Chicago), with a quick search on Autotrader.com.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I think the kids use honda civics more than accords. One of the first things they put on is that annoying big fart can muffler. And a big spoiler. If they did any mods it's probably easy to identify.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Look around thumperdogg. There are good deals to be had. We bought a 2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4 (4.0L) over the summer with just over 140k on it for $3k. Good solid vehicle & looks near new. Originally a Georgia vehicle, garaged mostly & original owner (moved here for business 2 years ago). He sold it because he bought a new Jeep. And sorry, its not for sale. If you were closer to Indy, I would give you the number to a dealer (used vehicles) I know. PM me if you'd like his #.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Honda, and Toyota may be out of reach with $4K But there are still decent cars out there. Ford Taurus, Buick Le sabre, Pontiac Grand Prix. to name a few.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I bought a 2003 Chevy Tahoe off of ebay last summer (Actually 2 but thats another story). The second one was $3100 with 142k miles, LT model with rear air,heat, leather seats, 4x4 with autotrac, 5.3L, bose stereo system factory, dvd player/monitor factory. Just LOADED! The seller, get this...was the Highland County Sheriff in Ohio. The Tahoe was seized because some idiot decided to have heroin on him while cruising in his girlfriends vehicle. Its mine now...well actually its my girlfriend's now. We drove it home. Put a new set of tires on it($450) a couple weeks ago, a new mass air flow sensor ($75) a new bumber ($100) and a rear wiper arm ($40). One of the greatest deals I have gotten.
    You gotta watch and ready to pounce when the vehicle appears for sale.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I bought a 2003 Chevy Tahoe off of ebay last summer (Actually 2 but thats another story). The second one was $3100 with 142k miles, LT model with rear air,heat, leather seats, 4x4 with autotrac, 5.3L, bose stereo system factory, dvd player/monitor factory. Just LOADED! The seller, get this...was the Highland County Sheriff in Ohio. The Tahoe was seized because some idiot decided to have heroin on him while cruising in his girlfriends vehicle. Its mine now...well actually its my girlfriend's now. We drove it home. Put a new set of tires on it($450) a couple weeks ago, a new mass air flow sensor ($75) a new bumber ($100) and a rear wiper arm ($40). One of the greatest deals I have gotten.
    You gotta watch and ready to pounce when the vehicle appears for sale.

Do you pay 100% paypal on something like this?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Saturn SL1 with the SOHC 1.9 engine. You'll have money left over to keep it running indefinitely. But you'll have to move back the vintage to 2002 or 2001.

Performance is weak. Fuel usage is meek. Reliability is strong if you do the minimum PM's. Preventative maintenance chores are easy if you choose to DIY.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm no car expert, but I do have a suggestion. Go to HR tomorrow and get new federal and state W4 forms; figure out how many exemptions to add to reduce the interest-free loan you gave to the government(s) to a smaller number and file the forms accordingly.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I would look at a 2000-2005 Buick Park Ave. I have a 2004 and love it. Tons of room, comfortable ride, and the GM 3.8L engine will run forever. Seriously, 250-300k miles is not uncommon for these engines. Plus about 26-30 mpg on the highway. You can find them for under 4k all day long.

poberly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 25, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'd look into a Camry. My uncle swears by them. He drives one, both his sons (my cousins) drive one, and he has a spare because he got it at a deal. He claims the only work all 4 have needed is normal maintenance and timing belts every 80,000.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    grand marquis and crown victorias have a reputation of running forever with proper maintenance.
    They can be had pretty cheap with low miles if you look around. Personally, I wouldn't want a retired
    police cruiser, but that's just me. Lots of elderly people drive them so they are easy to find for a fair
    price.

For Example...http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4313705069.html

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Don't laugh... 2001 or 2002 Chevrolet Prizm.

Same thing as a Toyota Corolla, but cheaper. Cheap, safe, reliable transportation.

I have a 98. The earlier years of the body style have oil burning issues (Corolla's too), plus no side impact airbags or front sway bars.

The 2001 and 2002's have those safety features and burn less oil.

Top Bottom