• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martial Arts: Indiana State Champion (weapons, kata, and kumite, age/wt div.) 2006-2009, Regional Nat'l Champion (weapons, kata, and kumite, age/wt div.), 2007-2009. Best performance was in 2008 Int'l Karate Tournament in Athlone, Ireland, 1st place weapons, 1st place kata, 3rd place kumite (I lost kumite to the Romanians, but creamed them in weapons).

And yes, I love to brag about it. :D

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I think we can certify Scutter as a bad-ass if it hasn't already been done.

To stay on topic, I have a few adventure races under my belt, and spent a large part of my younger years running in any event that offered a T-shirt. Nowadays, not so much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'll begin by saying runners are nuts, particularly those who run marathons. I have seen it: it is madness incarnate.

I personally Fence :) Sabre being my chosen specialty. Received first place at the De Cicco Open up at Notre Dame, was a fun time :D

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    It feels like a little too long ago, but I used to be a catcher for both league and 12' softball. Made all state in HS and received offers of a few scholarships for college. Boy was that another life.

I used to umpire until about 5 yrs ago, the knees say no.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Martial Arts: Indiana State Champion (weapons, kata, and kumite, age/wt div.) 2006-2009, Regional Nat'l Champion (weapons, kata, and kumite, age/wt div.), 2007-2009. Best performance was in 2008 Int'l Karate Tournament in Athlone, Ireland, 1st place weapons, 1st place kata, 3rd place kumite (I lost kumite to the Romanians, but creamed them in weapons).

And yes, I love to brag about it. :D

I might be showing some ignorance here, but what style do you practice? (I know almost nothing of tournaments, these might imply a specific style.)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I personally Fence :) Sabre being my chosen specialty. Received first place at the De Cicco Open up at Notre Dame, was a fun time :D

That's cool! I've seen enough to know that it's very subtle and nothing like in the movies. What little sword work I've done has proven to me how much finesse is involved.

I might be showing some ignorance here, but what style do you practice? (I know almost nothing of tournaments, these might imply a specific style.)

I practice Isshin Ryu, which is a fairly recent synthesis (1950's) of traditional Okinawan styles (specifically, Gojo Ryu and Shorin Ryu). Okinawan styles emphasize conservation of movement, unlike something like Kung Fu, which tends to be very flamboyant and full of motion. I've also done a little bit of a bunch of other styles. They all have their pros and cons and some have more utility for certain kinds of encounters than others. For example, I wouldn't want to get into a ground fight with a Brazilian Ju Jitsu guy, but I would clobber a Tae Kwon Do guy.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    2x football state champion here :D

and went to state once in high jump, but lost :(

I only graduated a couple yeras ago, so I figured it was recent enough to put on here ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    That's cool! I've seen enough to know that it's very subtle and nothing like in the movies. What little sword work I've done has proven to me how much finesse is involved.

Perhaps it's merely owing to one of my instructors (works as a karate teacher, volunteered to help the fencers get in shape and started running drills) but it seems that it's not so different from what you do. Except that mine is a sport in its entirety and unsuitable for combat, while you could probably do some damage :):

I learned very basic Gojo Ryu techniques as a child from an instructor. It turned into a belt mill about halfway through the training, but it was still very tough stuff. Fighting competitions are something to behold.

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    My sporting events are all out dated. Currently I run/bike/crossfit. Mostly a survival mode for the firehouse so I dont get all loosey goosey.

Used to compete in TaeKwonDo. I won 1st in sparring and 2nd in forms at World Championships at the age of 16. ONce I joined the Marine Corps I got out of it. Martial arts are where I belong. I just do not MAKE the time to get back.

I consider being a father of 2 a sport sometimes though

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    T
    I practice Isshin Ryu, which is a fairly recent synthesis (1950's) of traditional Okinawan styles (specifically, Gojo Ryu and Shorin Ryu). Okinawan styles emphasize conservation of movement, unlike something like Kung Fu, which tends to be very flamboyant and full of motion. I've also done a little bit of a bunch of other styles. They all have their pros and cons and some have more utility for certain kinds of encounters than others. For example, I wouldn't want to get into a ground fight with a Brazilian Ju Jitsu guy, but I would clobber a Tae Kwon Do guy.

Very cool. I am slightly familiar with some of the Okinawan. As far as Kung Fu, the WuShu isn't much more than watered down pretty acrobatics - the government took most of the "fight" out. Hubby teaches Shaolin, Wing Chun, and Tai Chi Chun. I've been trying to learn some of the animal forms, with little success.

Thanks for sharing!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm an athlete but not in competitve sports. My athletics are about pushing the envelopes of exploration and training my body for that purpose.
    Yeah, this is me too. I only compete against myself.

I will say that I went from throwing out my back to deadlifting 315 in 2 years. I was pretty proud of that, especially since everyone was telling me "you threw out your back, time to start accepting that you can't do stuff anymore."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Yeah, this is me too. I only compete against myself.

I will say that I went from throwing out my back to deadlifting 315 in 1.5 years. I was pretty proud of that, especially since everyone was telling me "you threw out your back, time to start accepting that you can't do stuff anymore."

:rockwoot: You go, old timer! ;)

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    :rockwoot: You go, old timer! ;)
    Thanks. I had to go check my blog for the actual time, and revised it to 2 years. Threw the back out in August of 2006, started lifting in January of 2007, did my big lift August 2008. So 1.5 years of working out, 2 years total.

I was using a jackhammer at the time:

poser.jpg

Last edited:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Nice. How high is your best jump? What position on the football field? I returned kicks back in the day.

My highest jump was 6'8. But that was a one time thing lol. I usually got around 6'4

I played offensive tackle and outside linebacker on the field. We won state in 03'-04' and again in 04'-05'. We did pretty well for really only having 11 starters that played both side of the ball. Our offensive starters were also our defensive starters lol

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    been awhile for me. all state offensive tackle, academic all-state heavyweight wrestling. tore up my ankle in wrestling regionals my senior year, made it through a year of college football until partying killed my grades. was gearing up for a run at arena ball tryouts when i suffered a spinal injury. learned to walk again but running is out of the question.

Top Bottom