• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I was looking into some speed sights...I have a Glock 27,and their site recommends the +1
    Rear sights for 9mm and .40.anyone have any advice?thank you

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I suggest lots of dry fire. Sights are not going to make you shoot faster until your eyes and index are perfect.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010

Care to fill us in on why you have that opinion? Not saying they are the holy grail of sights... but you must have some reason for such a short and intense statement.

Anyway, I love these sights. They are VERY fast. The only thing I dont like about them is they are hard to get a competition tight grouping. You WILL hit what you are aiming at, but they just arent as tight. They are a trade of speed at the sacrifice of accuracy. This is because they are DEFENSIVE sights. Point center mass, you cant miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDB_lAC9H0

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    TruGlow Tritium sights. I have them on all of my Glocks and they are lke 3 lights shining ans sooo easy to see. I have have old eyes and require TriFocals, so these are the only way I can see the sights.:twocents::patriot:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My mind isn't made up yet but I'm pretty optimistic about this

IMG_1682.jpg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Care to fill us in on why you have that opinion? Not saying they are the holy grail of sights... but you must have some reason for such a short and intense statement.

Anyway, I love these sights. They are VERY fast. The only thing I dont like about them is they are hard to get a competition tight grouping. You WILL hit what you are aiming at, but they just arent as tight. They are a trade of speed at the sacrifice of accuracy. This is because they are DEFENSIVE sights. Point center mass, you cant miss.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDB_lAC9H0

I have that opinion because I have shot more rounds through a single pistol than you have shot your entire life. I know this because you wouldn't be defending XS sights if you had enough experience to understand what a proper sight picture looks like and how the XS sights simply cannot deliver that.

The jury's still out on whether they are fast. But if you don't know where you're aiming, the sights aren't doing their job.

If you think you "can't miss," either you are not shooting fast enough or you're just simply not shooting enough.

No serious competitor would be seen at a match using these sights, because they simply do not work. Your eyes cannot align them quickly and accurately except, perhaps, at something that is right in front of you, in which case your index should automatically point you in that direction anyway.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I have that opinion because I have shot more rounds through a single pistol than you have shot your entire life.

No serious competitor would be seen at a match using these sights, because they simply do not work.

HAHAHAHAHAHA ok jackass way to start your brilliant fact filled response! Please go on to tell me how awesome you are at everything!

If you could read you would see where I said they aren't competition sights, they are defensive sights. Designed with the sole purpose of fast and accurate acquisition of a human torso NOT for poking holes in holes.

Neg rep if I could!

Groupings: http://youtu.be/iQVCeJ103BQ?t=1m1s

Distance: http://youtu.be/AY5RURFEGd8?t=42s

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Vanilla Glock night sights. When you really need to use your Glock, you will not be using your sights. Point and shoot. If you have time to aim with your sights then speed really isn't a factor.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Never said I was awesome at anything.

If shooting fast only works in competition and not self defense, tell me about how awesome you've defended yourself against armed and skilled attackers.

See? It works both ways.

People who think that competition equipment is necessarily impractical often believe that because they showed up to a match and got schooled, or worse, have never shot a match before in their life and thus have no idea.

Being able to shoot faster and more accurately is an important handgun skill. It's probably the most important of all handgun skills. If you want to deny that and claim that something that would never work in a sport where the sole goal is to shoot faster and more accurately, that's fine, but at least be honest and explain that's what you're saying.

No serious competitor would use these sights because they are simply not faster and more accurate or some combination of both. That is how we score stages, and IF they provided a competitive advantage, competitors would use them. Except they don't, because the human eye is not programmed to line a huge dot into a vague V quickly.

Usually I'd be the first person to defend something far outside the box, but this is a design that is fundamentally flawed. Show me a target that you can hit fast with XS sights, and I'll show you the same target and hit it without any sights at all.

In other words, if what you're saying is that "defensive" sights need not be fast, easy to pick up, or accurate, I would say that I disagree, and that any degree of truth that statement has is on the basis of the fact that no sights at all were required to produce that result.

The day I see a competitor at a serious event using them, I'll have a look. Until then, I maintain my position.......a huge dot over a vague V is not something the human eye can turn into a fast an accurate sight picture.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    If you have time to aim with your sights then speed really isn't a factor.

This is just absolutely not the case either. If you're not using the sights, you really don't know where your bullets are going. And it is really not slower to use sights IF you train your eyes to see what you need to see every single time your firearm is in front of you.

People believed for a long time that seeing the sights was too slow and not necessary for fast and accurate pistol shooting. Today's doctrine rejects that view because it is just not true. Watch Dave Sevigny or Bob Vogel or similar shooting on youtube sometime. Every single one of those shots is aimed. If you don't believe me, watch the stages in slow motion from a third person perspective.

Even a pretty good pistol shooter can miss a 6" plate from 10 yards at least half the time while not using the sights. The same simply cannot be said if the shooter gets even a flash sight picture.

Pistols are difficult to master, but ultimately, shooting fast and accurate comes down to seeing fast enough to place the shots. Point shooting might work for one or a few shots, but it is not sustainable. Shot calling is and all you will need to call every single shot is a split second flash sight picture as the trigger breaks.

I don't really care if you believe me today, because it took me a long time to realize this for myself. But I would put my money on the fact that if you keep shooting for long enough, you will, because mastery of the pistol is all about making sure you know precisely where those sights where when the trigger broke, and basically nothing else, although other skills will help you to master shot calling.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    You first! Mr. Experience.

I'm not the one claiming that competition equipment doesn't work. I have no opinion on that other than to point out the obvious, that shooting faster and more accurately cannot possibly NOT help you in a gun fight.

If XS sights worked, so would removing one's sights and painting the top of the muzzle orange. If the only goal is to get the business end pointed in the correct direction, I don't see why you'd need sights at all.

Top Bottom