• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I had the first set of Ashley Big Dot (now XS) ever put on a CZ40B. My pistol was the one they used to fit them, and I got them for free (other than one way shipping) for letting them borrow my gun. The people are great, the service is great, the actual workmanship and durability is great. I really wanted to like it, especially since I had the "early adopter" cool factor. I just couldn't. Its just a lousy concept, and the great execution can't make up for that.

I hated the gun after that and ended up selling it. I couldn't make the precision shots that I used to, and at ranges where the big dot works you should just be point shooting anyway. It ruined the gun for IDPA and my confidence in using it for carry. (The happy ending is I discovered the joy of the 1911 as a direct result of selling the CZ40B, but that's irrelevant to the story).

I've done competition and I've done real, and I will NEVER put those types of sights on a handgun again. You are much better off learning when to hip shoot, when to point shoot, and when to take aimed shots and how to transition between them as needed and using a more traditional style sight system.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Vanilla Glock night sights. When you really need to use your Glock, you will not be using your sights. Point and shoot. If you have time to aim with your sights then speed really isn't a factor.

Regardless of what sights you choose, your answer concerns me a bit. If you train to use your sights under stress, you are more likely to use your sights under stress. Nothing is a guarantee of course.

The amount of referential information you need from your sights will vary depending on distance and precision. You may only use your sights to confirm the orientation of your pistol. But completely disregarding the sights is one of the main reasons there are abysmal hit ratios.

And, please don't use the abysmal hit ratios to justify that "people won't use their sights anyway". That's reverse logic.

The second point I would like to make is that you are responsible for every round that comes out the end of your gun. As the Empire Building shooting clearly demonstrates, there are no misses; only hits on unintended targets.

Train to use your sights. Practice using your sights. Use your sights in Force on Force. You can and will use your sights in a gunfight.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    You are responsible for every round that comes out the end of your gun. As the Empire Building shooting clearly demonstrates, there are no misses; only hits on unintended targets.

slowclap2jnzqs.gif

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I suspect what Denny was referring to was the tendency for anyone to focus on the threat rather than their sights when faced with a deadly force encounter. I know this to be true as I've spoken with many officers soon after they have had to use a pistol to defend their lives. We also see it regularly in training, if you present a target with a weapon it hand the majority of officers will shoot the weapon because that it what they are looking at.

The only way to overcome this is through constant training. Most officers don't receive enough training to cross this hurdle, folks who shoot competition do. There are truths in several of the opposing views here.

We don't train to point shoot but it happens. It is a predictable response. An XS big dot may assist someone in realizing it is there better than standard sights. I would agree that all but the most dedicated to that system will suffer some loss of accuracy when shooting the XS system. Doesn't mean they're bad, they just aren't for everyone.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Doesn't mean they're bad, they just aren't for everyone.

So.. I like them, and recommend them. If you (proverbial) don't, then post up what you like! :dunno: I don't care if you duct tape a banana to your firearm... if it works for you...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My current top pic are the Trijicon HD sights. I'm looking forward to getting behind a set of Ameriglo CAP sights and I am also currently testing the Trijicon RMR.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I prefer serrated black rear with a fiber front. 2nd choice is plain black serrated front. They work well for me, and by work well, I mean I can get an A zone hit at 7yds in under a second from the draw. The plain black and fiber combo makes it easier to find the front and get it aligned, quickly. The people that I know that are faster are mostly using fiber as well.

I HATE 3-dot sights, and have found them slower because they're just too busy.

Those big dot sights are pure awful IMO.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Ok, It seems as though that as I bring my gun up I WILL index off the front site for a split second with both eyes open then leave it there while I concern myself with the target. I have to slow myself down to catch it. At regular speed I do it without even realizing it so it feels as if I am not using sights at all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom