• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    For all the bellyaching about social engineering when it comes to don't ask, don't tell and the like, many will argue for the social engineering aspect of marriage laws. Some believe it's good to promote marriage for raising children, etc. but for every aspect of marriage law that promotes a mom and dad environment for raising children, there are just as many or more marriage laws that cause people to not want to get married. Who wants to get ruined in a divorce? Government needs to divorce itself from marriage altogether.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For all the bellyaching about social engineering when it comes to don't ask, don't tell and the like, many will argue for the social engineering aspect of marriage laws. Some believe it's good to promote marriage for raising children, etc. but for every aspect of marriage law that promotes a mom and dad environment for raising children, there are just as many or more marriage laws that cause people to not want to get married. Who wants to get ruined in a divorce? Government needs to divorce itself from marriage altogether.

Maybe people should take their responsibilities more seriously when they commit to marrying somebody or deciding to act in ways that produce children. Your rights have responsibilites.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Maybe people should take their responsibilities more seriously when they commit to marrying somebody or deciding to act in ways that produce children. Your rights have responsibilites.

Even without children, a person could suffer legal hell due to marriage. I'm a firm believer in monogamous and committed relationships. I will never get another marriage license.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Even without children, a person could suffer legal hell due to marriage. I'm a firm believer in monogamous and committed relationships. I will never get another marriage license.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm lecturing to you or anybody, specifically. But as I understand the world, "marriage" has long been more than a simple contract between 2 people. It was meant to be a life-long commitment. That is why the vows typically contained terms such as "'til death..." It should not be entered into lightly and should be difficult to terminate.

People treat getting married as an event like accepting a job...they'll do it until they don't want to do it anymore and quit to go on to the next opportunity. If people don't really intend on being married "forever", they shouldn't waste their time, the JoP or pastor's time, their friends' time, etc.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    While I would agree, the states are imposing, or trying to impose an unconstitutional restriction on a persons free will to love and marry whomever they please.

That is why the US government needs to either rule, or make an amendment either forbiding or condoning it.

As it reads now, homosexual marriage should not be restricted and should be equal to a heterosexual marriage.

This is another instance where the government is actually needed to step in. Not like the meddling we are doing in other places.

Its a battle for the states to resolve themselves. The Feds have no business in defining marriage or in overruling state laws doing so. What you are asking for *is* meddling.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This issue gets so muddled so easily. What are we actually arguing about here?

I don't believe that anyone's 'rights' are being restricted here, nor should they be. You may spend your time with the person of your choice. You may make a life-long commitment to the person of your choice. You can call this person your spouse. You can have a ceremony. As a libertarian, I don't believe that any of these things should be restricted by government force.

So what is everyone moaning about? I think it comes down to this:

1. They want the government to redefine the concept of 'marriage' to include them. Why is the government defining the concept of marriage to begin with? It's your life, define it yourself. You don't have the 'right' to societal acceptance. The answer is to remove the government from the role of defining 'marriage', not to attempt to force your definition on the rest of a society that seems to mostly disagree with you.

2. They want the various benefits associated with being married. Tax breaks, etc. Again, you don't have the 'right' to these tax breaks. Frankly, they shouldn't exist to begin with. Is it fair that straight couples can get married and pay less taxes, yet gay couples can't? Not really. Is it fair that I have several kids and end up paying less taxes than the guy with none? Not really. The answer is to get rid of this silly tax code, not to introduce more legislation that further entangles the government where it doesn't belong.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    So if homosexuals should be permitted to marry and claim the same tax/legal benefits as heterosexual married couples, then by extention, I should be able to marry ten women, claim them all as dependants, and never have to pay a dime in income tax again.:D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So if homosexuals should be permitted to marry and claim the same tax/legal benefits as heterosexual married couples, then by extention, I should be able to marry ten women, claim them all as dependants, and never have to pay a dime in income tax again.:D

Oh, you'd pay...maybe not taxes so much...but there would a high price To pay for this tact, a very, very high price:D

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

Why should the fruit of your labor, your income, be taxed?

The Constitution as adopted by the States did not include a tax on your income.

Frankly, I would suggest no person's income should be taxed.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Why should the fruit of your labor, your income, be taxed?

The Constitution as adopted by the States did not include a tax on your income.

Frankly, I would suggest no person's income should be taxed.

Just trying to see how far we can stretch this marriage definition thingy. Do animals count? They are much cheaper to take care of.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Guy sounds like an idiot....

On a side note... the whole bullying thing is so played out.... I was bullied when I was in Middle School. I didn't cry about it... I didn't tattle tell... I didn't get a gun and shoot up the school... i dealt with it and learned from it.

It helped me develop my social skills. It taught me to be aware of my surroundings and to spot and avoid trouble before its too late. It sharpened my situational awareness and removed naivety.

I learned how to be assertive and how to stand up for myself... and I also learned how keeping my mouth shut in certain situations can sometimes be advantageous. I learned that more times than not, I can determine the outcome of a situation and that I'm responsible for my actions... things I think kids have loss touch with.

I think this whole bully campaign has turned kids into a bunch of victims.... I got an 11 year old and I'm guessing this "anti-bully" thing is the new strategy (within the last couple of years) in education because I see it all over her school.

I love her to death (obviously) but she is a constant victim and it drives me crazy. Her and all of her friends. My nieces and nephews and best friends kids... all of them. They are all a bunch of tattle tell victims. None of them take individual responsibility for ANYTHING and instinctively any time ANYTHING goes wrong, they snitch on each other right away.

I could go on and on about these little stool pigeon victims, but I'll save you guys the rant....

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

+ a effing million!!!

What in the hell is government involved with marriage for in the first place? The government has absolutely no business in marriage at all.... all its done is help turn the idea of marriage (and thats all marriage is anyway) into a circus joke.

Let marriage get back to what it was originally intended.... Its a vow of devotion of one person to another (or animal if your into that)... I don't see how a piece of paper strengthens or weakens that vow. Marriage is so commercialized and so regulated its basically no longer worth the time or effort.

Last edited:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Yes.

Top Bottom