• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    This is exactly what the speaker was pointing out if I am understanding correctly. Using bronze age texts as justification for your bullying is wrong and morally bankrupt. It is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle. Just as attending Appleseed shoots is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle. This point isn't being argued. You can express your views all you want, again, a point that isn't being disputed.

What causes you to believe that your beliefs have any particular value over those "bronze age texts" that have served as a moral compass for people for something like 4000 years? The fact that they've become politically correct over the past 20 years? The same could be said for Marx & Lenin's beliefs; they're still popular (although mostly in the US, it seems) after 70 years.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It was a small segment of a lengthy presentation. Note the portion where he said he was done with the portion about how the bible contributes to the bullying of homosexuals and it was safe for the professionally offended to return and listen to the remainder of the speech.

So it was OK for the sponsored speaker, who is supposedly an adult, to berate Christian adolescents in the audience about their beliefs, but if those Christian adolescents then berated homosexual adolescents for their actions or beliefs then it's wrong? OK, got it.:rolleyes:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    What causes you to believe that your beliefs have any particular value over those "bronze age texts" that have served as a moral compass for people for something like 4000 years? The fact that they've become politically correct over the past 20 years? The same could be said for Marx & Lenin's beliefs; they're still popular (although mostly in the US, it seems) after 70 years.

I don't use them as a tool or justification to discriminate against women, homosexuals, or inhabitants of other lands. You are correct in likening them to the works of Lenin or Marx. All worthy of ridicule as enemies of freedom.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is exactly what the speaker was pointing out if I am understanding correctly. Using bronze age texts as justification for your bullying is wrong and morally bankrupt. It is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle. Just as attending Appleseed shoots is a perfectly acceptable lifestyle. This point isn't being argued. You can express your views all you want, again, a point that isn't being disputed.

So Christians basing their beliefs on their Bible is wrong and morally bankrupt. Where should Christians look for guidance then? Who are you to deride where they base their beliefs? I know you folks think we should keep our mouths shut and stay out of sight.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So it was OK for the sponsored speaker, who is supposedly an adult, to berate Christian adolescents in the audience about their beliefs, but if those Christian adolescents then berated homosexual adolescents for their actions or beliefs then it's wrong? OK, got it.:rolleyes:

I see nothing wrong with pointing out the tools and tactics used by bully during a conference that dealt with putting and end to bullying. Don't use the bible as tool to bully and it wouldn't have been an issue.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    So Christians basing their beliefs on their Bible is wrong and morally bankrupt. Where should Christians look for guidance then? Who are you to deride where they base their beliefs? I know you folks think we should keep our mouths shut and stay out of sight.

The famous persecution complex comes slinking out! No one has said to keep any mouths shut. As I stated earlier, a good journalist would have been able to craft a deft rebuttal. Look at that, I am advocating more speech!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It was a small segment of a lengthy presentation. Note the portion where he said he was done with the portion about how the bible contributes to the bullying of homosexuals and it was safe for the professionally offended to return and listen to the remainder of the speech.

“You can tell the Bible guys in the hall they can come back now because I’m done beating up the Bible,” Savage said as other students hollered and cheered. “It’s funny as someone who is on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible how pansy-assed people react when you push back.”

Yeah, with this heart felt, warm invitation to return to the presentation, you'd have to truly be one of the "professionally offended" to decline.:rolleyes:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Wait, so people are going to tell me that the bible isn't used as justification to discriminate against gays?

Sounds like christians are in a tizzy after being told the truth.

the bible points out a standard of living on this topic, that lots of folks agree with even if they aren't christian. the CDC agrees with it from the stand point that if you go the CDC web site and look up homo sexuality there is a huge list of negatives and no positives. not only do many people find the life style immoral but science had found it to be harmful to homosexuals.

now heres the the deal. what is bullying? is it bullying to say we do not agree with this life style? we do not accept? we feel this is wrong? our faith says this is sin? i hardly find this is bullying.

yes we use the bible as a guide to living and that includes homosexuality, you sir have a right to exorcise your free will and choose a gay lifestyle but we have a right to choose to not accept it and to deem it immoral.

jake

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I see nothing wrong with pointing out the tools and tactics used by bully during a conference that dealt with putting and end to bullying. Don't use the bible as tool to bully and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Softpedal much?

He wasn't "pointing out the tools and tactics used by bully" was he? He was using his forum as a jumping off point to harass teenagers, by peppering them with ridicule and invective, that he blamed, with no other evidence, for bullying simply because they were Christian and an easy target, and he could do so with impunity. Sounds like a bully to me.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Softpedal much?

He wasn't "pointing out the tools and tactics used by bully" was he? He was using his forum as a jumping off point to harass teenagers, by peppering them with ridicule and invective, that he blamed, with no other evidence, for bullying simply because they were Christian and an easy target, and he could do so with impunity. Sounds like a bully to me.

:rockwoot:

well said

jake

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The famous persecution complex comes slinking out! No one has said to keep any mouths shut. As I stated earlier, a good journalist would have been able to craft a deft rebuttal. Look at that, I am advocating more speech!

What were they supposed to do, harangue him in return? I can see the spin you'd put on that:

"Intolerant Christian activists frighten attendees in an attempt to disrupt anti-bullying conference"

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Softpedal much?

Yes, he took on the bible's stance and how it breeds bullying against gays. Is his point invalid or am I imagining the WBC? There was no soft pedal there. Only people looking to be offended. Again, don't use the bible as a tool, or justification, for the mistreatment of others and the topic would have never been part of the presentation.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Obviously, it's not about "bullying." It's about turning the tables on whatever groups he has felt wronged him in the past and inflicting punishment on them. The guy's a dangerous fraud.

Exactly! These people are all about retribution for real and perceived wrongs disguised as positive corrective actions.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Yes, he took on the bible's stance and how it breeds bullying against gays. Is his point invalid or am I imagining the WBC? There was no soft pedal there. Only people looking to be offended. Again, don't use the bible as a tool, or justification, for the mistreatment of others and the topic would have never been part of the presentation.

how do people use the bible to miss treat gays?

"oh hey man you know God's got something better for you....."

yea thats pretty mean

jake

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    What were they supposed to do, harangue him in return? I can see the spin you'd put on that:

"Intolerant Christian activists frighten attendees in an attempt to disrupt anti-bullying conference"

Yes. Why not? Not during his presentation, mind you, that would be discourteous. These were all journalism students. Heck, I bet you a well crafted counterpoint would have been picked up by a larger media outlet just for the story angle alone. Of course, they could walk out as well. Which is were any attempt to label this event bullying fails miserably. Being interested in journalism I would have seized upon such low hanging fruit. I wouldn't have written that headline unless the students stormed the stage and went all OWS.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You got me...I re-read the article and cannot find at what point in the conference where any one or more of those students railed on the poor speaker with their bibles:dunno:

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    Yes. Why not? Not during his presentation, mind you, that would be discourteous. These were all journalism students. Heck, I bet you a well crafted counterpoint would have been picked up by a larger media outlet just for the story angle alone. Of course, they could walk out as well. Which is were any attempt to label this event bullying fails miserably. Being interested in journalism I would have seized upon such low hanging fruit. I wouldn't have written that headline unless the students stormed the stage and went all OWS.

so if they had come back at him that would have been discourteous? even though he was being a complete douche bag?

they did walk out, and he fell into name calling...... did i mention he was a douche bag?

my friend with all do respect it seems as if you are letting your emotions get in the way of your logic

jake

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wait, so people are going to tell me that the bible isn't used as justification to discriminate against gays?

Sounds like christians are in a tizzy after being told the truth.

Just a minute! The bible clearly states that homosexuality is wrong and contrary to God's order. It calls on the believers to teach those people the truth which they may either accept or reject. It does NOT call for any form of hatred or persecution. The argument that it does is much like arguing that the 'stand your ground' law gives you legislative imprimatur to mow people down at will for general principle. My experience is that people like Savage are far more hateful toward Christians than they receive in return. I have also noticed that most people who hate in the supposed name of religion (Westboro crew notwithstanding) do not ever darken the doorstep of a church but will still cling to their own unsupported ideas of what God is all about. If any of you doubt how the shoe fits the other foot, I would recommend you go to a liberal website and see just how thick the hate gets there, and the extent to which disagreement on principle is absolutely not tolerated.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

You say that because WBC waves a Bible, then anyone who uses a Bible is a hate-spewing ignoramus. By that logic, I could make the argument that you are a felon, since felons have possessed and used guns, and you presumable possess and use guns, therefore you are a felon.

Seriously, those particular individuals are a collective waste of space who may read the Bible but apparently reject most everything it teaches other than a cherry-picked list of 'thou shall nots' while signally failing to follow it themselves. In that regard, they really do remind me of the feds (only the feds use on us and ignore for themselves the law rather than scripture).

Top Bottom