• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Lenin would be proud of Terry Tussey (Tussey Custom) ... another "useful idiot."

I never heard of the guy until this article appeared in today's Chicago Tribune. (Link is for the original article in the LA Times).

The money quote:
    Tussey is sympathetic to efforts to restrict gun ownership, but he doesn't believe any legislation would stop gun violence.

He favors background checks and hunter safety courses, and he can't see a purpose for assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, but he is a passionate supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

... of course, you have to assume that the reporter is reporting the truth and not ad-libbing or putting words in his mouth.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not surprising given some members here seem to agree with him. Too many people don't understand the meaning and origin of the second amendment. Or perhaps they do and just don't care.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    He favors background checks and hunter safety courses, and he can't see a purpose for assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, but he is a passionate supporter of the 2nd Amendment. He keeps a loaded 9mm Glock on his workbench and a 9mm Rohrbaugh in his pocket.

Well, which is it? You don't see a use for large cap mags but you have a glock as your defense gun?? This actually would have been a very positive article about gunsmithing etc but he had go and try to be PC. That's fine though i've never liked his pistolsmithing style and don't doubt if this causes him some backlash. At least he didn't come out and advocate for the ban he just said he doesn't see much purpose for them, there is a slight difference. I don't see much use for S&S double guns but i'm not going to try to keep them from Joe Biden.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He says:
    Tussey specializes in 1911s, named for the year the Army approved the pistol as standard issue. "The best handgun ever made," he says with the conviction car enthusiasts save for their favorite ride.

But....
    He keeps a loaded 9mm Glock on his workbench and a 9mm Rohrbaugh in his pocket.

It is stated:
    Tussey is sympathetic to efforts to restrict gun ownership,
    and he:
    He favors background checks and hunter safety courses, and he can't see a purpose for assault weapons or large-capacity magazines...
    But on the other hand:
    ...but he is a passionate supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

If owning a gun wasn't important, he argues, it wouldn't have been listed second in the Bill of Rights.

"Guns," he says, "keep you free."

Terry is a man of contradictions.

Last edited:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    ...but he is a passionate supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

If owning a gun wasn't important, he argues, it wouldn't have been listed second in the Bill of Rights.

"Guns," he says, "keep you free."

Terry is a man of contradictions.

yep...guns keep you free, you're just not free to own guns.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Did anybody actually read the article ? It's about custom guns of which he's a master of the 1911. All though the article he hints at his distaste for modern, "tupper ware" mass produced guns. For him a gun is thing of art and art is in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

I think the rest of the quote should have been included, "He favors background checks and hunter safety courses, and he can't see a purpose for assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, but he is a passionate supporter of the 2nd Amendment. He keeps a loaded 9mm Glock on his workbench and a 9mm Rohrbaugh in his pocket.

"Guns," he says, "keep you free." "

So for him he doesn't see a purpose for "assault weapon and "large capacity magazines" but I don't see where he stated he was against them or supports a ban, quite the contrary his following statement concerning the 2nd and ending with "guns keep you free" kind of says the opposite.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and guessing there is a bit left out by the reporter following his comment on "assault weapon" that the reported didn't publish for what ever reason.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Bleh, have one of the best gunsmiths in the nation right in NWI, and he's a Lodge Brother and an ardent supporter of the 2nd Amendment. Don't need Tussey for anything.

Besides, is anyone 'surprised' by Tussey's contradictory commentary? He's in California. I lived there. It's the "Granola State", not "Golden State"...

Granola State - Land of fruits, nuts, and flakes... :D

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and guessing there is a bit left out by the reporter following his comment on "assault weapon" that the reported didn't publish for what ever reason.

That's why I stated:
    ... of course, you have to assume that the reporter is reporting the truth and not ad-libbing or putting words in his mouth.
    He might have added something or he might have only been partially quoted but he's been silent since the article was published.

Did anybody actually read the article?

Yes. I did. That's why I posted about it.

I think the rest of the quote should have been included, "He favors background checks and hunter safety courses, and he can't see a purpose for assault weapons or large-capacity magazines, but he is a passionate supporter of the 2nd Amendment. He keeps a loaded 9mm Glock on his workbench and a 9mm Rohrbaugh in his pocket.

"Guns," he says, "keep you free." "

So for him he doesn't see a purpose for "assault weapon and "large capacity magazines" but I don't see where he stated he was against them or supports a ban, quite the contrary his following statement concerning the 2nd and ending with "guns keep you free" kind of says the opposite.

The majority of the article is simply telling a story about him and his business. The article lends credibility to his perceived expertise as a firearms expert and (in the eyes of the general public) all matters firearms related (including issues related to gun control). If this "firearms expert" doesn't see "a purpose" for "assault weapons and large capacity magazines" then his "expert opinion" can be used later on to beat us over the head in the push for more restrictions. I'm sorry. He should know better. He doesn't get a pass from me. Taken as a whole, he is telling the world, "Only guns that serve a purpose keep you free."

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Next up, an expert that says hunting is unnecessary and cruel, no need for high powered rifles, only small caliber handguns for home self defense are necessary, according to the second amendment.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Not surprising given some members here seem to agree with him. Too many people don't understand the meaning and origin of the second amendment. Or perhaps they do and just don't care.

If they don't understand the second amendment by now, with all that has transpired in the last four months then they must suffer from a brain disorder and do more harm to our cause than any proclaimed enemy of gun rights. No matter how they spin it they are nothing but hypocritical.

mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    How can you say you are a 2nd Amendment supporter than say there is no need for any style of gun? It sounds like a politician talking.

Top Bottom