• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I live in a small town in Boone County. Town law says no firing in town limits, but the marshall told me you have every right to defend yourself and home. I have heard and seen several coyotes around my area. One of my fears is a couple attacking my dog. So, here's my questions. I hate to admit it, but I only have 2 rifles. a .22 magnum and a .223 mini 14 Ruger. The mini 14 is quite a bit louder than the .22 mag, but much more powerful. Which is the better gun to shoot the coyote with? I don't want to make a lot of noise in town, but want to use the best gun to take one down. What do you think?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    .223 would be best, but .22 is more than adequate. Just make sure you do your part and hit the vitals and the coyote shouldn't be with you much longer. I also suggest you make sure that defending your dogs is allowed... I personally would more than likely shoot to save my dog from coyotes, but the police and the DA might disagree with you and I.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    According to the town marshall, I have the right to defend my dog. But he didn't think I could just shoot a coyote for just being in my yard though.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The .223 is the better gun to hunt coyotes with, but in your situation I think I would go with a well placed shot from the 22 mag. Like another post said, it'll do the job just fine if you do your part. Best of luck to you.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    I cannot attest to this but old farmers say if you kill one leave lay couple of days where it is or near by where they travel to keep more from showing up in the same area. I do hunt coyotes and they are very smart ,worth a try. I smell what your stepping in about looking out for your dog, we live on a 40 acre farm with coyotes all around I stand on the porch at night ever time I let my house dog out to stand guard. Good luck

Last edited:

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I got my first coyote this year with a 10/22 in .22mag. It did fine. It came in to about 25 yrds when I shot. It ran about 30 yrds and dropped.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    From my experience. You shoot one and leave it lay. Five to 10 days later it will be food for more to come in. They eat there own!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have killed many with just my 22 lr. just don't take bad shots. you may have to pass on them the first couple rounds but sooner or later they will present you a good shot and thats when you do it. i live just outside city limits fortunately and we shoot them all the time.

Top Bottom